Play a Tacview recording with DCS Replay

Captain Orso

Okay, it doesn't have to be an actual Tacview recording, but the DCS track hasn't worked in years, and probably never will work as players want it to. The teeny-tiniest difference between replaying a DCS track and the original flight will eventually snowball into radical differences between the original flight and the replay.

Players don't give a dang whether the exact controls inputs result in the exact same flight, they want to replay their flight the way it happened when the flew it, and they want to be able to scroll back and forth through it without anything changing.

The only viable way to do this is by recording all the telemetry of units in a mission, similar to what Tacview does, and have the DCS Replay play this telemetry data. Then you will recreate the original flight exactly as the player experience it, and be able to pause, rewind, fast forward, and replay exactly what the players experienced.

That shouldn't be so difficult to do.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 year later...
Okay, it doesn't have to be an actual Tacview recording, but the DCS track hasn't worked in years, and probably never will work as players want it to. The teeny-tiniest difference between replaying a DCS track and the original flight will eventually snowball into radical differences between the original flight and the replay.

Players don't give a dang whether the exact controls inputs result in the exact same flight, they want to replay their flight the way it happened when the flew it, and they want to be able to scroll back and forth through it without anything changing.

The only viable way to do this is by recording all the telemetry of units in a mission, similar to what Tacview does, and have the DCS Replay play this telemetry data. Then you will recreate the original flight exactly as the player experience it, and be able to pause, rewind, fast forward, and replay exactly what the players experienced.

That shouldn't be so difficult to do.

I'm new to dcs and one of the reasons I got it (except that I love dogfighting) because it looks beautiful and I want to do videos... its amazing that such a super great high tech simulator game has replay functionality that doesnt work at all, and has not been working for a decade, included in their game! (or least since 2008 is what I've been told) Even War Thunder that DSC beats in everything when it comes to realism and simulation, graphics details etc, has a million times better replay system - and it works to.

...I just wanted to upvote this old post but there isn't such a function...

Some say that replay functionality is too complicated - so much stuff to be recorded.... For me all inputs and details are not necessary - just make sure to record the flightpaths correctly first, and move from there - as tacview already do perfectly.

If I recorded my flight - and then afterwards are able to complement it with different angles and other planes - I would instantly buy many more planes and modules - maybe even inspire some friends to do the same through the thing called youtube... And I'm sure many more content creators would do the same if replays would work. Free advertisement and publicity - How is that for a business incentive? :) Show some love for the replay system as you do for the rest of the game. Plz!