Please make the game support IP change finally. - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:21 AM   #1
DanielNL

Exclamation Please make the game support IP change finally.

This is VERY annoying problem where ISPs switch IP adresses every 24 hours when we for example JUST took off from the airfield in DCS and were about to engage an enemy player and BAAAAAM MENU, DISCONNECTED. GREAT. An auto-DCS-masterserver reconnect is the least we're asking for.

- No it's not controlled by my router. I asked my ISP, it's them (making it "harder" for users to host servers on their PCs).

better netcode function would basically look like this (see page 13 for the exact details):

after new IP my/our client(s) directly connect(s) back into the aircraft on the multiplayer server I was/we were in, with the following 12 values/strings auto-load from RAM (from moment of disconnect, or let's say 250 ms before disconnect, DCS could "update" the "live" values every 250ms in RAM and stop updating the moment the disconnect occurs, then take value from second to last dataset), to load these values upon reconnecting to the gameserver:

- player slot - IF still available on auto-reconnect, ELSE cancel the load-operation (I guess player slot is a number datatype?)
- client aircraft position (string?)
- with heading (number)
- altitude (number, feet?)
- speed (number, knots?)
- pitch orientation (number)
- roll orientation (number)
- yaw orientation (number)
- cockpit configuration (which switches on/off/neutral)
- weapons load (string?)
- systems damage (number or string datatypes I guess)
- player score data (only a few numbers/strings)

other games (examples are Battlefield 3, 4, 1, most other games today)support it, after 5-10 seconds of lag, the game will go on.
experienced GCI, Mirage 2000C and AV-8B pilot - OP BlueFlag veteran since 2014
Dell Visor WMR, RX 580 8GB (2x HDMI), Ryzen 5 1600X (6C/12T)
Buddyspike BlueFlag discord, most cooperative DCS PvP server: blueflag.ml featuring: F-18 - Harrier - CTLD - EWR - GCI

Last edited by DanielNL; 11-04-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Slazi

Seems like an odd isp. Is this common?
Old 07-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Ktulu2

You could change the switch time no? Thats a router setting.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
Kelevra9987

Here in Germany you get mostly forced IP changes through the ISP. Mostly between 11PM and 2AM. And we have no access to such settings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red
Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
Ktulu2

Ah, I see.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Devrim
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra9987 View Post
...you get mostly forced IP changes through the ISP. Mostly between 11PM and 2AM...
Just curious; What's the reason of that?

MY MODS | MY CONTROLLER PROFILE
Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Pitot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrim View Post
Just curious; What's the reason of that?
That is just how some ISP work.
In modern era, where the dial-up modems are long dead, reasons are usually:
1. Distinction between consumer and professional users. Consumer has dynamic IP, if you want static - pay for it.
2. Dynamic IP ISP Policy is used as a prevention for running servers on a consumer package, forcing users to pay for professional service, but also ensuring lower bandwidth usage from consumer-level users.
3. Dynamic IP solves many problems in setting up a general wide area network from ISP point of view. Not able to explain better, since that specific part is not well covered in my know-to-do list.

Hope that answers your question
Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
QuiGon
Veteran

IP change on the fly?
The way I know it, you will loose your entire internet connection for a moment, because the router needs to reconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra9987 View Post
Here in Germany you get mostly forced IP changes through the ISP. Mostly between 11PM and 2AM. And we have no access to such settings.
I think I did set the time in my router by myself, but I'm not sure though. It's been years ago and can't check right now.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 07-18-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
BIGNEWY
Senior

My dynamic IP change resets my router, nothing can be done about that as far as I know?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
My dynamic IP change resets my router, nothing can be done about that as far as I know?
Exactly, that's what I meant.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Closed Thread