F-14D?? - Page 17 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #161
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger22 View Post
Which is why I can’t see them being able to accurately simulate the -D. Also considering the fact that the APG-71 which the -D used was based on the APG-70 (which is still in service with the F-15E) I’d imagine it would be highly classified, or enough so that it could not be accurately simulated.
If no available data on that IRST was a problem, they could just leave it off (like, removed for maintenance), worst case.

Regarding the radar, well, the AN/APG-73 in the Hornet is still in use and we have the fully-fledged module with it. Plus, the AN/APG-71 didn't have the ground mapping modes support integrated, so it shouldn't be that difficult to simulate its A2A modes.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #162
CarbonFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
If no available data on that IRST was a problem, they could just leave it off (like, removed for maintenance), worst case.

Regarding the radar, well, the AN/APG-73 in the Hornet is still in use and we have the fully-fledged module with it. Plus, the AN/APG-71 didn't have the ground mapping modes support integrated, so it shouldn't be that difficult to simulate its A2A modes.

I would echo this. With just the A-A capability, I think the APG-71 could be accurately simulated. Don't know about the IRST given a lack of details on it. I just know I've heard there were plans of improving it if they had gone ahead with upgrading to the proposed Super Tomcat 21.

I'd also be curious if the improved AIM-54C++ could be simulated aswell if we ever get the D.
CarbonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #163
Zaltys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydriver View Post
The F-14D IRST was very capable and a crutch for the crews. You shouldn't have any information on its actual capalities other than assumed capabilities based on the theory.
Isn't IRST for Super Hornet based on F-14D?
Zaltys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #164
turkeydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaltys View Post
Isn't IRST for Super Hornet based on F-14D?
yes-updates to the same system......10 years later.
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #165
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

The "just leave it off" idea would be fine if all the systems were not interconnected.
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #166
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
The "just leave it off" idea would be fine if all the systems were not interconnected.
How exactly would the IRST be interconnected with anything else?

I didn't really check the NATOPS for the F-14D regarding this, but I imagine there might be a button on the MFD to select the IRST sensor picture (kind of like the Maverick one) and you'd implement it as having no function or don't show it at all. What other systems would be affected by this?

On that often shown diagram of various chin pod configurations, one of them is showing the IRST window blanked off with the comment 'temporarily' (I presume for maintenance or if the system wasn't ready from the start of the operational service, perhaps), so it might be a realistic option.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 11-14-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 AM   #167
Gypsy31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
How exactly would the IRST be interconnected with anything else?

I didn't really check the NATOPS for the F-14D regarding this, but I imagine there might be a button on the MFD to select the IRST sensor picture (kind of like the Maverick one) and you'd implement it as having no function or don't show it at all. What other systems would be affected by this?

On that often shown diagram of various chin pod configurations, one of them is showing the IRST window blanked off with the comment 'temporarily' (I presume for maintenance or if the system wasn't ready from the start of the operational service, perhaps), so it might be a realistic option.
Why spend the time and energy to make a D only to leave the IRST functionality out? If that was the case, it would make more sense to make the B upgrade.
Throw in the Sparrowhawk HUD upfront, a PTID in the back, some DFCS magic and you got the B upgrade. The exterior model is pretty much complete. There would not be a need to update the chin pod to a D model to include a system that would not function. In addition, the cockpit would require a significant change to turn it into a D, not so for the B upgrade.
Gypsy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #168
Nexus-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy31 View Post
Why spend the time and energy to make a D only to leave the IRST functionality out? If that was the case, it would make more sense to make the B upgrade.
Throw in the Sparrowhawk HUD upfront, a PTID in the back, some DFCS magic and you got the B upgrade. The exterior model is pretty much complete. There would not be a need to update the chin pod to a D model to include a system that would not function. In addition, the cockpit would require a significant change to turn it into a D, not so for the B upgrade.
I'd honestly rather they just did that.

I would buy an F-14D if Heatblur was able to pull it off, but I'm not all the way sure the DoD would be very forthright with the necessary details.

An upgraded B would probably be quite a bit easier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #169
Pasquale1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy31 View Post
I would really love to see the D but i would happily buy the B+ Upgrade

Personal Wishlist: F-117A
Pasquale1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #170
Bad Idea Hat

How many squadrons flew the -D? I thought it was only a handful with the Pacific Fleet. The D was a great jet, but it wasn't as widely used as the A or B, and was a fair bit more complicated from a technological standpoint (read; re-coding a good chunk of the Tomcat avionics for DCS).
Bad Idea Hat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
壮志凌云