Artificial feel system

Hello,

I think, i've seen someone with the real F-5 experience, but can't remember who.:)

So here is the question: does artificial feel system adjust stick forces with the IAS/M or anything else?

I've found a generic AFS scheme

artificial-feel-in-aircrafts-3-638.jpg?cb=1420955554

But it's generic and i'm a little concerned with how sensitive the plane is right now at high speeds, but BST is not going to fix anything, until some proof is shown.

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

If it's the same as the A, then it's a electrical actuator and a spring that provide a force on the stick based on airspeed and deflection input. But that shouldn't matter in the simulator since the system will create a force for the pilot to feel, not to limit the actual deflection. The only group of people that should notice it are those with a FFB system.

Note that this is from the AMM of the A variant. No idea how it's done on the E, I can imagine that this system has changed over time.

Thanks. It's not to limit the stick movement, rather than damper the virtual stick to provide protection against really abrupt movements (if stick is heavier, than you cannot move it all around it's limits at a mad rate, as the joystick on the table)

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

Well no, it's to give the pilots a feeling of the pressure on the elevator surface instead of having the pilot look at an indicator. That's why it's called an artificial feel instead of having a direct feedback back from the mechanism in the form of cables and rods.

EDIT: Again, this is the A variant, they very well might have changed it for the E version.

Well, seeing as we all have crappy desktop joysticks with a 10th of the force of a real stick, it seems to me that some adjustment to control effectiveness is needed to reproduce a reasonable response. It could be argued that going in either direction is more "realistic."

Well no, it's to give the pilots a feeling of the pressure on the elevator surface instead of having the pilot look at an indicator. That's why it's called an artificial feel instead of having a direct feedback back from the mechanism in the form of cables and rods.

EDIT: Again, this is the A variant, they very well might have changed it for the E version.

I meant, how it actually will work for the sim.

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

If control responsiveness is a problem, why not simply apply curves, The MIG-21 developers recommend a certain setup of the control stick to get a responsive feel that is closer to the real thing. Or am I missing something here? As far as I know it's supposed to be a rather snappy aircraft?

EDIT: found the relevant section in the AFM, haven't found a AMM yet unfortunately. But, given that it's a full hydraulic system it means that the pilot only feels through the artificial feel unit, and it doesn't change the actual angle of the flight control surfaces.

qaujCAg.jpg

Edited by TheSnark

It's not the curve. Curves work for all speeds the same, which is not our case. I understood, that the controls limits do not change, don't worry.

MiG-21 does not have variable stick force. It has variable control surface deflection angles - that's the difference.

Edited by ФрогФут
  • Like 1

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

Yeah. I am under the impression that the F-5 features a bobweight. The manual does mention that the F-5 is very sensitive in pitch at high speeds. Hence why I think it's a bobweight.

Noodle wrote it first.. :p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.