Bolter?

CaptCanada65

What do you mean by that? The possibility of missing the wires and going around is already there with the Stennis and Kuznetsov. If you mean hook skip (i.e. not catching a wire although you land in the proper zone on the carrier), that is aircraft specific AFAIK (the hornet has it, the tomcat not yet).

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Currently, if you miss any wire you bolter. Have you done any carrier ops yet? I see you're new to the forums, but not sure if you're new to DCS. I bolter all the time, so yes you can. :)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Well, I guess I mean bolter in the sense of not catching the third wire on the carrier and thus having to go around and try again.

In that case absolutely yes, it's functionality already present on aircraft carriers currently implemented.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I tried my first F1 carrier landing in the F14, Jester got rather sarcastic the number of times I boltered! Got there in the end but he was pretty hungry :)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I mean bolter in the sense of not catching the third wire on the carrier and thus having to go around and try again.

Along with many, many other things, the wires are modelled and the hook is modelled.

If you catch any wire - not just the third - you'll land, if you don't you'll do a bolter.

Cheers.

You have a lot of faith in Jester to be able to say that so positively without seeing a track...

Quite the opposite. DCS's carrier and the F-14 module isn't modeled accurately enough during landings. Jester is just reading the AOA and speed and reacting to what it SHOULD be, not what DCS is fudging. If Jester is calling bolter, you're doing it wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
If he calls bolter, you came in way too hard. If he does it with an acls landing, it was prolly a deck pitching too hard.

What happens when you come in too hard is that you prolly skip jump a wire, or your gears take off again, while your hook is holding you back. For Jester, unfortunately there is no better way for telling if it is a bolter or not, than you getting the gear down or back up in the air again.

I will talk to swither, if for bolter calls, maybe small delay would help, in his detection I mean.

But in general: it does point to bad landing behavior. You are either coming in too fast, or too steep, or combination of both.

We also plan on improving the damage model for carrier landings. Some of the traps I have seen will rip your hook off and so forth

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4149482&postcount=10

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2