One pilot one cockpit Two Hud Displays.

GuardDog

I do not know if this accurate in real life, but watching some Youtube videos on DCS world, and the pilot flying a F16. Now the cockpit of course has a hud, that shows altitude, speed, and combat situation (Guns, weapons, or just Navigation and more). While that hud information is happening, and now the pilot has one as well on the helmet. The pilot can look behind him, and while doing so, the pilot is still monitoring altitude, speed, bearing and more. Like the information is mounted on the helmet face guard or what ever. Is this a real thing, or just added to the simulation? Arcade style. Something I am unaware of. Why use it?

It is a Helmet Mounted Display and means you can look around and locate targets etc while still seeing key flight information

Very definitely a real thing (search for Helmet Mounted Display on the Internet)

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

No - it has existed for many planes (it is called the JHMCS in the F-16, F-18 etc). The F-35 version will just be a next gen (BAe in the UK is now doing one with colour display so friendlies show up blue, enemies red etc)

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Okay, does exist, but not as advanced that they show in DCS. I am not able to find any video footage of JHMCS in action. Most footage (and very advanced) is from DCS, and the new technology on the F-35

Might find some footage on this video (maybe). But it is very low tech, but added to the helmet.

The Rockwell Collins product page for the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System has a picture of the SA overlay (from the outside of the helmet but it gives the idea) - DCS models the right eye only as an option if you fly with VR

All I am seeing in all F16, F18 YT videos, is the helmet with a sun visor when needed, can get darker if to bright, and then added nv goggles (attachment) for night missions. Their can be a hud in the visor, but it shows a diamond in center of grid. Top right is height, speed. No ladder, and some other info. Their is one for heli pilots, but used on right eye for targeting and more info. They have real footage of it in use, and been around for decades for recording. BMS, Falcon 4.0, and DCS world have it way more advanced than it really is, and they all show differently (made up). Unless a real F-16, F-18 or other can come in here, prove me wrong. The F-35 pilots helmet has full features. This is totally new to me.

• 6 months later...
All I am seeing in all F16, F18 YT videos, is the helmet with a sun visor when needed, can get darker if to bright, and then added nv goggles (attachment) for night missions. Their can be a hud in the visor, but it shows a diamond in center of grid. Top right is height, speed. No ladder, and some other info. Their is one for heli pilots, but used on right eye for targeting and more info. They have real footage of it in use, and been around for decades for recording. BMS, Falcon 4.0, and DCS world have it way more advanced than it really is, and they all show differently (made up). Unless a real F-16, F-18 or other can come in here, prove me wrong. The F-35 pilots helmet has full features. This is totally new to me.

I'm confused.

What are you seeing in the DCS HMD, either F-18 or F-16, that you don't think exists in real life?

• 3 weeks later...
BMS, Falcon 4.0, and DCS world have it way more advanced than it really is, and they all show differently (made up).

*Not an expert in any way.

No, it really isn't, JHMCS basically provides a HUD-alike in the visor and it allows the pilot to designate targets by looking at them. It's as advanced as DCS makes it out to be, in fact DCS' JHMCS is missing capabilities (AG designation, potentially D/L stuff(?)).

Unless a real F-16, F-18 or other can come in here, prove me wrong. The F-35 pilots helmet has full features. This is totally new to me.

In the F/A-18 - basically identical to what we have now:

6ec416ae80111f2e6115e4d94276b7a0c75b624b.jpg

And another, you can see the resemblance:

NO1jQbU.jpg

The F-35 takes it a step further by expanding it - it has the ability to project images from EOTS, which is similar to the Scorpion HMD in the A-10CII, which can display a window of what the TGP is seeing and overlay it over a target area to augment the pilot's vision and to designate targets.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.