Bigger map area than normal? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
Normandy (what a waste of money).
Normandy just received a big update and today's patch notes mention even more work done on it. A waste of money?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
MobiSev

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
Don't forget islands are not just sand heaps floating on the water. With every square mile of open water comes the recreation of the ocean floor, which is quite interesting around Marianas especially Of course it can be of much lower mesh quality and no objects placed there but still some work to do, not just free open water.
Oh, you sweet summer child

They will not be recreating the ocean floor. It will be the same as Caucasus and PG, with the sea floor being just flat vanilla terrain. There is no point to adding a detailed ocean floor as we will not be able to see it normally. It would just use up time and resources that they could use for something else.

The only way I have been able to see the floor is when I have fallen off the carrier due to a bug.

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Last edited by MobiSev; 02-14-2020 at 06:35 PM.
MobiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
Jester986

They're supposedly changing that for thay sake of including submarine warfare.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
Ala13_ManOWar

Yep, it's supposed today's patch do that indeed, not just "water colour" as it says in CL. Waters do have deep now, I guess they are "navigable" now or something like that so new boat types can finally make it into de game, same as torpedoes.

S!
Old 02-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #15
MobiSev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Yep, it's supposed today's patch do that indeed, not just "water colour" as it says in CL. Waters do have deep now, I guess they are "navigable" now or something like that so new boat types can finally make it into de game, same as torpedoes.

S!
I see the ocean being made "deeper," but the ocean floor being modeled in detail will not happen...unless they said something I'm not aware of. If they did say they would be modeling the ocean floor, I would see that as a massive and irresponsible waste of resources.

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17
MobiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #16
Lunatic98

We're not asking for a detailed floor, just one at the accurate depth. The resolution of the mesh and textures can be made very low, lower than pre-2.5 Caucasus map. At best it only need have low-resolution autogen scatters.

We currently now have 3 submarines in DCS World:
  • A Pr. 877V Kilo (one-boat modification of Pr. 877, fitted with a pump-jet/propulsor), all masts and antennae animated, as well as all control surfaces, including retracting/extending of the bow planes
  • Pr. 636 Improved Kilo: This is modelled to near perfection and is fully animated, (incl. everything on the Pr. 877V + outer torpedo tube doors, torpedo tube reloading adaptor hatch, and even the retractable capstans). Currently only present in the modelviewer.
  • Type 09-III/Shang class; can't say for this one as I don't have the OB, but a screenshot shows outer tube doors and a mast.

We have torpedoes incoming on the Ju-88 (LT I A1 F5b - probably) and on the S-100 E-boat (probably G7a). The Kilo class has 2 SLCMs present - the 3M-54E and 3M-54E1 AShMs (just no capsules, no terminal stage for the -54E and, apart from folding, no animated control surfaces).

2 mines are also on the official list for the Hornet - the Mk40 Destructor and the Mk63 Quickstrike; both are essentially retarded Mk83 GP bombs fitted with an influence sensor (magnetic AFAIK). Both are bottom mines meaning they sit on the sea-floor (which is why an accurate depth map becomes a little more important as these are both shallow water mines).

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB SSD

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdrM4n
Lunatic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiSev View Post
I see the ocean being made "deeper," but the ocean floor being modeled in detail will not happen...unless they said something I'm not aware of. If they did say they would be modeling the ocean floor, I would see that as a massive and irresponsible waste of resources.
Of course not "in detail", why would you want detail in ocean floor in a Flight Sim? But an elevation mesh of the ocean floor just like emerged terrain is some "detail" after all.

S!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #18
Silver_Dragon
DCS Ground Crew

Bathymetry was implemented from some years ago in the TDK (Terrain Develop Kit), using real depth data.

The "old" TDK video from 2018, building a part of Falkland map. On minute 4:16 and after, see as implement Bathymetry with real data:

All actual maps except NTTR has been implemented Bathymetry. Remember, DCS World has not only a "flysim" simulator.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube

Last edited by Silver_Dragon; 02-16-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Silver_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote