FW190 F8 plans?

Snapage

Just a few questions regarding the FW 190 F8.

Is it planned to be released in 2020?

Will it be included with the FW190 A8 or will it be a seperate module?

And will it have many ground attack configurations like 1x 1000kg bomb, 1x500kg + 2x 250kg bombs, extra wing mounted cannons, rockets etc?

Thanks

Just a few questions regarding the FW 190 F8.

Is it planned to be released in 2020?

Who knows, but lets expect so.

Will it be included with the FW190 A8 or will it be a seperate module?
They said so when first announced.

And will it have many ground attack configurations like 1x 1000kg bomb, 1x500kg + 2x 250kg bombs, extra wing mounted cannons, rockets etc?
No word about that but it wouldn't be a F-8 without them.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The only instance I can remember and could find where ED officially mentioned the F8 is this newsletter from last January.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3774154&postcount=180

DCS: Fw 190 A-8/F-8 Shrike Update

Progress remains rapid on the Shrike with a release set for later this year. The Fw 190 A-8 will be an excellent counterpart to the Spitfire Mk.IX and provide a period-correct aircraft for the Normandy map. The F-8 version will provide the Luftwaffe a capable ground attack aircraft to match the upcoming P-47D and Mosquito.

It says nothing about the F8 being included in the A8 package. I seriously doubt that this will be the case, otherwise they would have said so in the e-shop product description and threads like this. At least I expect that ED is still undecided how it will be marketed.

It says nothing about the F8 being included in the A8 package. I seriously doubt that this will be the case, otherwise they would have said so in the e-shop product description and threads like this. At least I expect that ED is still undecided how it will be marketed.
Plans may change but it was said right here in the forums while seeking for info for the actual module. In the end F-8 is just a somewhat "minor" modification of the A-8 and it would be a great addition as a ground pounder for the German side, that's why they changed their minds in first place, but who knows now but lets hope plans are still up.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Plans may change but it was said right here in the forums while seeking for info for the actual module. In the end F-8 is just a somewhat "minor" modification of the A-8 and it would be a great addition as a ground pounder for the German side, that's why they changed their minds in first place, but who knows now but lets hope plans are still up.

S!

I dont think that completely different FM is a minor modification

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

To call it "completely different" is an exaggeration. There're certainly differences, but still.

Ok you are right, but it is still lot of work.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Ah the soothsayers are in again I see!

Here's a suggestion - why don't we wait and see what the A2G ordnance additions promised bring?

This is forum, ppl don't come to forum to sit and wait, i am here to complain.

S!

I don't mind if its a separate module. I just want to know what the plan is because I want the F8 but I'm not really interested in the A8.

I would love to be able to carry a 500kg + two 250kg bombs or a single 1000kg bomb. :D

Its also faster then the A8 on the deck with WEP.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to post this separately, but found this thread, so I'll put it here instead...

About a year ago, developer Coyote was doing some research on the weapon systems of the F-8. There were numerous posts on the forums. Examples:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3741707&postcount=249

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3742815&postcount=251

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3744106&postcount=266

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3747055&postcount=275

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3747968&postcount=280

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3759613&postcount=285

Shortly thereafter, the announcement of the A-8 and F-8 appeared. Nineline wrote:

DCS: Fw 190 A-8/F-8 Shrike Update

Progress remains rapid on the Shrike with a release set for later this year. The Fw 190 A-8 will be an excellent counterpart to the Spitfire Mk.IX and provide a period-correct aircraft for the Normandy map. The F-8 version will provide the Luftwaffe a capable ground attack aircraft to match the upcoming P-47D and Mosquito.

Ref: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3774154&postcount=180 (25-Jan-2019)

Since then, the A-8 has been released, but the F-8 is no longer mentioned.

What is the status of the FW 190 F-8 for DCS now?

The engine and flight characteristics of the F8 are identical to the A8, they were only different in the early series because the F and G got a C3 boost injector before MW50 kits were available (which wasn't until Feb44), which could only be used under 1000 metres as per the flight manual. It was actually for the G to help channel raids but found its way into the F just ahead of MW50 availability, which can be used at higher altitudes. When MW50 became available this was fitted to both the A8 and F8 although the F8 pilot handbook still has the old fuel injector guideline; nevertheless the captured American F8 (at the Smithsonian?) was examined in detail and found to have MW50 system at the supercharger exhaust and not the C3 injector at the supercharger intake like the G and some earlier F series and in fact was identical in all mechanical respects to the A8, thus can be flown under special boost at higher altitudes just like an A8.

The only technical difference between the F8 and the A8 then is removal of the outer guns for reinforced twin hardpoints specifically for a set of four SC70 or SC50 antipersonnel bomblets under the wings. It could not carry SC250 under the wings, the G series had to delete the cowling armament and play with ballast to carry SC250 or 300l droptanks under the wings due to CoG issues. The same problem was found in other FW190 based development prototypes when trying to load the wings with things like internal tankage.

A mechanic on the White 8 FW190F8 restoration project explained to me in a conversation about CoG issues that in fact according to his research and documentation the freijaeger pilots flying clean on the channel coast never completely removed the outer wing guns and weren't allowed to unlike modern claims, due to fear of adverse handling effects of CoG changes. He cited wartime documents stating magazines for outer guns were simply left empty in freijaeger, the guns were never removed in an A for fighter combat, only for carrying bombs like in the F/G or prototyping the F/G. He was very vibrant about his discovery and I've found other well accepted misconceptions during my own research projects.

Even armouring became common between the A8 and F8 except IIRC one single plate on the cockpit floor, the engine armouring and everywhere else was identical. All F8 got the blown canopy for better pilot view but not all A8 got it, some did but others didn't so sometimes an A8 had the older canopy but all F8 had the new one. Many F8 were also fitted with a larger Dora style tail fin but few A8 were. The A9 got all these features. Edit as I also recalled the paddle props, F8 often had one although two types were used on both F8 and A8.

So essentially the F8 is an A8 that looks like an A9 but can carry four small, light antipersonnel bombs under the wings, a modification for which the outer guns have to be completely removed for CoG issues. That's it. G takes out more guns to carry heavier wing stores and the Ta152 removed a fuselage tank to put tanks in the wings for a mere 50 litre net gain, again CoG issues documented during tests.

Despite the load bearing capacity of the huge tractor in the nose an FW190 is an airframe which is extremely sensitive to CoG changes. It has a fatal stall tendency for inexperienced pilots in high speed turns as it is and it doesn't take a lot of mucking around with loads to make it unstable in regular manoeuvres. In early jabo development a lot of the work was centred around this fact, the ETC had to be moved around, different armaments configurations tried, reinforcement, internal weighting, a partridge in a pear tree...

But if carefully balanced with other modifications it had no problem carrying loads in excess of 1500kg aloft, as shown by example, if rarely. Operationally A and F never carried anything bigger than SC250, the G could carry SC500 but this is all about layout, the G is more modified.

During 44 some were actually stripped of combat equipment completely and used to transport SC1000 and SC1500 bombs between airfields ahead of enemy offensives. Then there was a handful of specially modified G which could operationally use 750kg and 1250kg aerial torpedos. But regular A or F, SC250 and definitely not under the wings.

Edited by vanir

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. So the main differences between the A8 and F8 is the use of C3 or MW50, an extra armor plate below the cockpit, some had a different canopy, some had a larger tail and the modification to carry anitpersonel bomblets below the wings.

So it was the G that could carry 250kg bombs under the wings or a single 750kg bomb?

F8 is exactly the same as A8. But it was modified in factory to be used as ground attack plane as a first role. But it's the same engine and same system.

The MW50 was more a modification you could find on field. I won't say all of the 190 A8 had it because that's not true. But lot of them were converted to use Mw 50 and not the original WEP that was placed in factory. If I remember correctly, GM1 was the most common factory boost. But as it was only usefull at high altitude, it was completely useless for F8 and lot of A8 didn't fly high enough regurlarly to use it (so it was weight aded for nothing).

Difference betewwen G and F is the fact F use 2 bomb rack on each wings in standard configuration. Those were used for little bombs.

The G had 1 big rack for 250kg bomb under each wings. But those could be used to place droptank too. A8 and F8 could only use 1 droptank under the fuselage if I remember correctly.

Edited by JG13~Wulf

• 9 months later...