[NO BUG] IR missiles does not track Harrier anymore.

unhappytroll

Please provide a track

It was a stream that was up of Dcs. The setup was a harrier in front and to the left of a Mig 21 rolling in on it, When the mig was behind the harrier an r13 was shot and didn't even try to track, the second missile was an R60 that also didn't track, the third missile was another r13 that didn't track. During that cannon shots were also going downrange, aggressive maneuvering by the harrier ended up putting it into a spin. It was also said by someone in game chat that missiles weren't tracking it. I don't have a track file but hopefully knowing the setup of the fight could help someone recreate it to get the track file.

1. It's not just the Harrier, I've seen it on the Hornet as well (the only two jet aircraft I fly, so I only tested those two).

2. To say IR-SAM's don't track at all, is plainly wrong, but their performance is clearly miserable. In fact, SA-18 IGLA's approaching from the front seem to hit more often that from the rear vs both aircraft.

Something is definitely amis.

Edit: small mission for demonstration purposes attached. Just fly straight ahead and observer the antics, especially if you use flairs when passing the first few of the 10 IGLA's to see SA-18's coming from the rear and shooting passed you without exploding.

AV-8B_IR-SAM_Test01.miz

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• ED Team

I have checked the mission,

All looks ok to me, IR missiles are hitting front and rear aspect.

Thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So, I setup a more precise test.

I set the Hornet to imortal, because I only want to measure the number of hits and misses and not aircraft damage.

I kept track of whether hits and misses were from the front/side or rear (completely subjectively - you may categorize them differently).

24 SA-18's were fired on 2 passes of the "gauntlet" of 10 MANPADs.

Of those 24 SA-18's fired, 7 actually "hit", which means it detonated near its target. The rest flew passed and exploded at their EOL.

Of the 7 hits, 6 were from a front or side aspect angle.

Of the 17 misses, 7 were from the front or side aspect angle, and 10 were from the rear; most from within about a 30° cone to the rear of the target aircraft.

I flew the target straight and steady at about 350-360 kts at about 2000 feet ASL with the ground at about 65 feet ASL. did no jinking or in any way attempted to avoid missiles.

With this kind of easy target, I'm wondering why ANY missiles missed. This should have been a turkey-shoot. I would have expected the only thing distracting an SA-18 would be the fireball of a previous, exploding SAM.

Mission and track files attached here. Tacview in followup post, because of forum constraints.

IR-SAM_Test02.miz

IRSAM Test02.trk

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The tacview file.

Edit: An issue with IR Missiles was reported in the DCS World 2.5 forum, where I've reported my findings: Stinger (in General IR missiles) vs Helicopters.

If you are interested, you may wish to read that thread.

Tacview-20200929-032655-DCS-IR-SAM_Test02.txt.zip

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler