Why is my wingman always running low on fuel? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
joca133

I also don’t think this is new. Like I said, for me, its another ridiculous aspect of the ai state in this game. Don’t get me wrong, I like dcs, but wingman ai are almost useless. Indeed, even with 80-90% power, they still use afterburners a lot to catch up, sometimes laggin for miles behind and then catching up.

I hope one day they become much smarter (unless that comes at too high performance costs). Until then with non afterburning aircraft, the best solution is to have 20-30% less fuel yourself and never design missions where AI are not critical and nothing more than extra rounds. Dumbest thing I saw was a roll of 8 ai driven hornets plummeting to a mountain in pure visual day after executing a go-around on a long ass runway.
joca133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
spoon95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJack View Post
Have you looked at Tacview file from the flight what the starting fuel and RTB fuel levels for the wingman was?
In the editor I gave my wingman 80% fuel.
I'm not paying attention to Tacview file.
I refueled the wingman to 70% before the DCS update.
Wingman is the time it takes to complete the entire campaign.
But not anymore.
spoon95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
spoon95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Max2 View Post
I've noticed this a couple of times as well in the past. Haven't kept track of it well enough to be useful in a potential bug squash but you might be on to something.

That being said...SOME of those times I was left scratching my head about why they ran out of fuel was due to their tanks being shot. Check the tracks, if they got a big hole in 'em, that might be the problem lol. If not, then yeah, I would say something is wrong.
Clearly, artificial intelligence is flawed
Old 02-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
spoon95

Quote:
Originally Posted by joca133 View Post
I also don’t think this is new. Like I said, for me, its another ridiculous aspect of the ai state in this game. Don’t get me wrong, I like dcs, but wingman ai are almost useless. Indeed, even with 80-90% power, they still use afterburners a lot to catch up, sometimes laggin for miles behind and then catching up.

I hope one day they become much smarter (unless that comes at too high performance costs). Until then with non afterburning aircraft, the best solution is to have 20-30% less fuel yourself and never design missions where AI are not critical and nothing more than extra rounds. Dumbest thing I saw was a roll of 8 ai driven hornets plummeting to a mountain in pure visual day after executing a go-around on a long ass runway.
Haha. I think you are right.
Don't expect too much from AI. It won't get to the level you want.
I should have paid more attention to my skills.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #15
DeathAngel1

Yes, this is well known issue. My wingman always says that he is out of fuel, when he has 6000-7000 l of fuel. This is more than enought fuel.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
enigma6584

There is a work-around if you so decide to choose. When I'm making a mission and it includes wing-men or ENY AI aircraft, at the very first way-point I set the aircraft options in the advanced way-point editor to "afterburner off." That way the flight does not use afterburner flying around until I tell it they can.

How do I do this? At another way-point, one closer to the AO, I set the advanced way-point options back to "afterburner on." That way they do not waste fuel in afterburner until needed in the combat area.

You could also set this as a radio trigger for your own flight if desired or that of the ENY. The tool/option is there to help alleviate the problems with the AI managing its own fuel consumption.

Hope this helps.
enigma6584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Rowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma6584 View Post
There is a work-around if you so decide to choose. When I'm making a mission and it includes wing-men or ENY AI aircraft, at the very first way-point I set the aircraft options in the advanced way-point editor to "afterburner off." That way the flight does not use afterburner flying around until I tell it they can.

How do I do this? At another way-point, one closer to the AO, I set the advanced way-point options back to "afterburner on." That way they do not waste fuel in afterburner until needed in the combat area.

You could also set this as a radio trigger for your own flight if desired or that of the ENY. The tool/option is there to help alleviate the problems with the AI managing its own fuel consumption.

Hope this helps.
That's quite useful actually, thanks.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
spoon95

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma6584 View Post

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for your advice
It's just that I've never had a problem like this before
In the future I will pay attention to modifying them in the editor
Old 02-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #19
animaal

A technique I've noticed when replaying some campaign missions in Tacview is to replace the wingman with a new fresh one. Typically, the wingman will leave the immediate vicinity of the player, be replaced with a new plane, and the new plane returns to the player. Maybe this could be used to "refresh" the wingman with full tanks?
animaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
Cap'n kamikaze

Since there is clearly something very wrong with it, and a true fix is unlikely to come soon, I'd rather that in this case ED let wingmen cheat, and made it so no matter what they do they always have say 100lb more fuel than you do, so if they run out, you ran out a minute or two before they did, clearly not ideal, but it would "fix" them.

It's a bodge, but it'd be fairly easy to implement.
Cap'n kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote