Home fuel advisory

Sandman1330

Is there any way to turn off the home fuel advisory, or to set it to use the Carrier TACAN instead of a waypoint?

Practicing carrier traps, with still 4000lbs of fuel, I'm getting home fuel advisory messages every few seconds. You can cancel the master caution, and it will just deedle deedle again. Very distracting when in the groove, especially because it keeps coming back!!

I've tried changing the waypoint number for it (via the up/down arrows on the FPAS page), but because I have no waypoints in my system for my carrier practice mission, it doesn't do anything. I'm not even sure what it's using for it's home field, as I have no waypoints in the system...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Is there any way to turn off the home fuel advisory, or to set it to use the Carrier TACAN instead of a waypoint?

Practicing carrier traps, with still 4000lbs of fuel, I'm getting home fuel advisory messages every few seconds. You can cancel the master caution, and it will just deedle deedle again. Very distracting when in the groove, especially because it keeps coming back!!

Excellent question, I am facing exactly the same problem.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

FPAS can calculate to TACAN but the home fuel and its associated warning are always to a waypoint.

Don't you always have at least one waypoint (#0)? If it's acceptable you can extend the refueling probe which will inhibit the alarm.

Waypoint “0” when at your originating airfield is fine but what happens when waypoint “0” is the carrier? Does the waypoint move with the carrier or get left behind as the carrier moves?

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Should be static. Means, It doesnt follow the carrier.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. So, presumably this waypoint is what FPAS is using to calculate home fuel, which after an hour or two of being airborne, is going to be several miles away from the ship. 4000lbs seems high to be getting the advisory in this case though, and doesn’t explain why it repeatedly comes back every few seconds after cancelling the master caution...?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

It should be enough adding a WP close enough to the destination, Airbase or predicted position for the Carrier and change Home to the number of this WP that should be close enough to not trigger the warning.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this post, it was driving me nuts a bit and thought i was doing something wrong on my bird setting. So in other words a quick workaround either in mission own created or on a server, is simply create a waypoint with the UFC of your actual location once on the carrier or the carrier's location when going to reach the carrier, so it'd fix the issue for a while at the speed the ship is going.

Thanks for this post, it was driving me nuts a bit and thought i was doing something wrong on my bird setting. So in other words a quick workaround either in mission own created or on a server, is simply create a waypoint with the UFC of your actual location once on the carrier or the carrier's location when going to reach the carrier, so it'd fix the issue for a while at the speed the ship is going.

I just go to the FPAS page and increment the waypoint to the highest possible number.

Exactly. I've discovered that selecting any wp (in the FPAS page with the up/down arrows) that is not part of a sequence will deactivate the "home fuel" advisory. Thus I just press the up arrow from wp 0 to go to wp 59 (never saw a flightplan loaded up with 59 waypoints)

Exactly. I've discovered that selecting any wp (in the FPAS page with the up/down arrows) that is not part of a sequence will deactivate the "home fuel" advisory. Thus I just press the up arrow from wp 0 to go to wp 59 (never saw a flightplan loaded up with 59 waypoints)

Cool thanks

this... also, just turn the warning volume down when practicing carrier traps... it'll save your sanity.

I rather leave warnings sound as is, so when Low Fuel and Bingo pops i'll hear it, as otehr said, quite simle to either select in FPAS highest waypoint or any which is not a entered waypoints with coordinates as this Home Fuel thing will warn according to the selected waypoint distance si if empty waypoint is selected, it'll simply not warn you.

What exactly triggers the Home Fuel warning? I've had it go off with roughly 8-9,000 pounds of fuel left, and not that far from the carrier ~20-30nm out. Even if it thinks I'm going back to the initial point of the carrier at the start I would still have a ton a fuel left.

Doesn't happen all the time, but considering it's the topic of discussion here, I figured I'd do a little investigating.

What exactly triggers the Home Fuel warning?

The warning triggers when the system calculates you'll arrive at the 'Home' waypoint with less than 2,000 lbs reserve of fuel at your current fuel flow/rate, it disables it's self above 0.9 Mach but it's still fairly easy to trigger a false alarm, with heavy throttle use.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The warning triggers when the system calculates you'll arrive at the 'Home' waypoint with less than 2,000 lbs reserve of fuel at your current fuel flow/rate, it disables it's self above 0.9 Mach but it's still fairly easy to trigger a false alarm, with heavy throttle use.

Ahh, makes sense now. Thanks for the info!

• 2 months later...

Oh this thing comes up all the time, no this is definitely not the way it should be, no way they had it like this on real planes IMO.

The home fuel advisory should never be enabled by default on waypoint 0 which is always there no matter what, spawning in mid air.

Not sure tho completely, what sparked me to this thread is that I just got a warning when I was setting it back to Waypoint 0 from just fiddling with it not even wanting it to warn me on any waypoint since I just used TACAN for the session, I was doing a range test from North Crimea to Batumi and I got the fuel warning halfway on waypoint 0, I thought what on earth i'm low fuel already? - this thing doesn't have an off switch in real life either?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Oh this thing comes up all the time, no this is definitely not the way it should be, no way they had it like this on real planes IMO.

The home fuel advisory should never be enabled by default on waypoint 0 which is always there no matter what, spawning in mid air.

Not sure tho completely, what sparked me to this thread is that I just got a warning when I was setting it back to Waypoint 0 from just fiddling with it not even wanting it to warn me on any waypoint since I just used TACAN for the session, I was doing a range test from North Crimea to Batumi and I got the fuel warning halfway on waypoint 0, I thought what on earth i'm low fuel already? - this thing doesn't have an off switch in real life either?

It absolutely is like this IRL. Fuel management is one of the most important aspects of mission planning, advisories like this are safeguards for the aircrew. While they may be annoying are realistic and there for a very good reason. Unlike DCS you can’t just plop into a jet in the real world, often mission planning takes as long as the mission itself, and working out when these cautions happen is part of that.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

It absolutely is like this IRL. Fuel management is one of the most important aspects of mission planning, advisories like this are safeguards for the aircrew. While they may be annoying are realistic and there for a very good reason. Unlike DCS you can’t just plop into a jet in the real world, often mission planning takes as long as the mission itself, and working out when these cautions happen is part of that.

This.

Every interview I have heard or documentary I have seen, pilots always emphasise how at the forefront of thinking and planning, fuel is the priority. Especially with Hornet pilots because of the relatively low capacity of fuel on the jet.