Any Sidewidner ffb2 experts?

redcloud111

Hey, guys. Been almost a year since I last posted something about this. But I only fly a Spitfire, and my Sidewinder FFB2 is always off center in the neutral position. This pulls the nose up. I have selected Swap Axis. I have made sure to not adjust the curves. I have cleared all other key bindings. And ... I even put in a request with tech support. But they said they couldn't reproduce it, and that I should seek help in the forums. My FFB2 works flawlessly in Il2, which I have been mostly playing. Anyway, I tried a Thrustmaster in DLC and the stick flies perfectly with pitch and roll set dead center. I again tried my FFB2 and the dern thing pulls up, no matter if I full trim down. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Oh, and I realized I posted this here because I use a Pimax 5k+, but the problem persists even when playing in 2D. I realized I should have put this elsewhere. I am not sure how to move it.

Correction: Sidewinder

Edited by redcloud111

I mean the spitfire is generally hard to trim. As it is ffb the stick will move as it would irl so it won't be perfectly centered. You should be able to trim it out though.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Andrew, increasing the dead zone really destroys the stick's benefits, IMO. And Hazzer, I can trim the Spit perfectly with my Thrustmaster. Ctrl + Enter proves the neutral point is dead center with the TM. With my Sidewinder, the neutral point is a few degrees below center, pulling the nose up. Even if I trim down fully it still pulls up. I have recalibrated the device, as well. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't find any advice other than Swap Access and don't set curves.

Andrew, increasing the dead zone really destroys the stick's benefits, IMO. And Hazzer, I can trim the Spit perfectly with my Thrustmaster. Ctrl + Enter proves the neutral point is dead center with the TM. With my Sidewinder, the neutral point is a few degrees below center, pulling the nose up. Even if I trim down fully it still pulls up. I have recalibrated the device, as well. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't find any advice other than Swap Access and don't set curves.

Hmm yeah, something is off then. I even have a bit of curves added and it still trims down. Have you tried it in other aircraft?

The only thing I can think of is the weird ritual i have to do when using vr and msffb2 remove its usb then put it in. Then start vr then start dcs and it works. Otherwise the effects are there but not correct.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Following, I suffer the same with most modules, with or without swap axis.

Do you fly anything before the problem starts? I have an issue where the f14 stops the ffb working in other aircraft

Don't have the tomcat myself, but when I fly DCS these days, it is usually a single aircraft type a day, and have this issue with most, stick is either pulling a bit to left or up when it should be centered.

Depending on the aircraft the stick wont necessarily be in the centre which is the whole fun thing about ffb! It sounds like what happens when the swap axis option isn't pressed but you've tried it. I've had many ffb problems but not this one, unfortunately ed probably won't be bringing out any fixes for us with ffb as I've been nagging for a long time about some issues.

I use my ffb2 for all FW190s, 109, UH1, A-10, F-14 and even F-18, the last of course without any benifits from ffb. I did a mod with a 18cm tube extension and resistors to double the force of ffb motors. There is a small window in the center, where no force can be applied because this would damage the motors. The stick feels very loose in this window and you must personally find a curve and deadzone in the DCS settings for each vehicle you drive. The biggest problem for me is that the ffb output from DCS fails sometimes and I have to restart DCS. It's weird, I fly for example the Tomcat and ffb works fine, then switch to Fw 190 and the ffb is broken until I restart and somtimes I have to do tripple restart. So usually I check ffb with the plane I wanna fly in a quick hotstart, before wasting time doing a cold start with broken ffb. During takeoff you can easily check ffb by make shaking the stick at high alpha near stall speed. So the whole ffb stuff seems to be a problem in DCS, but when it works, it's absolute awesome. So first start to check if your ffb is working the correct way at all, means no force during taxi until takeoff, then shaking at high alpha in the right axis, then refine your curves and dead zone for your stick and aircraft. I needed a lot of time for my F-18 for example, to make air refueling nice and easy, because I used to much deadzone in the beginning covering the whole forceless window of my stick and had to make to large corrections to fly her steady to the basket. In the warbirds a bigger deadzone isn't that problem....

Edited by Foxmike

Hazzer. Yes, FF is checked. Foxmike, what you go through seems like a nightmare to me. That sort of thing is what I want to avoid because I usually have a small window to even fly. I actually spend most time in Il2. I bought the Spit in DCS, which is unflyable with the FF problem. (The Spit has a super sensitive elevator.) I emailed the devs, and they said they couldn't reproduce it. I even said I would buy all the WW2 warbirds if they fixed it. Nope. I now use my Thrustmater. It works well enough but doesn't feel the same as a working Sidewinder with FF (the extension sounds insanely awesome). Anyway, I keep coming back here hoping someone will offer steps to make it work consistently. Thanks, though!

Red cloud, are you perhaps experiencing the no-force zone in the middle when you say ? The force drops off at the middle so that unlike your Thrustmaster, it does not return perfectly to center when you release the stick. There will always be a bit of “slop” or slack with the stick centered. It is a disadvantage, but to be fair I don’t think the Spitfire stick IRL snaps to center, I’m sure you have to a bit hands on with it too. So while it’s not ideal for modern FBW planes, I personally feel it’s an acceptable compromise, you have to:joystick:

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Aeria

I wasn't aware of that phenomenon. I am so accustomed to how the stick handles in Il2, which has no odd movement in either direction. This isn't like a wobble or sensitivity at neutral. If I let go of the stick, the Ctrl + Enter sensor shows the neutral point hanging just below center. Are you saying this is normal for the stick and you fly with it like this? Another reason it makes me think it has to be a problem is that the other two non-FF sticks I tried fly perfectly. Lastly, the Mustang is known for how stable it is with the ability to trim all flight controls. But, even its nose lifts if I let go of the stick. To me, this is not acceptable and is indicative of a critical problem. Again, it is so annoying I have never engaged DCS with any real focus. I and would like to.

Also, I am not hoping for a stick that snaps to the center. In fact, the Sidewinder doesn't do this. But, if I leave the stick in center after trimming, it should stay there. It doesn't

Yeah, it’s not always going to stay centered when there’s so little centering force in the middle of the gimbal. I know other games often use a higher force setting or have an automatic curve that largely makes it harder to notice. Often just the way it is mounted may cause the weight of the stick to push it off center, this is especially amplified when people mod it with extensions and warthog grips which increase the weight and moment arm. As the force goes down towards the center, it’s more being held by static friction then anything else. Think it as being more like a helicopter cyclic toward the center(it does work amazing for helis!)

There are some people that have increased the force with the resistor mod, I wonder what is their experience.

Some people like me are fine with it that flaw, others aren’t. It’s perfectly fine to feel either way. Atleast with Immersion RC patent gone there is some hope for the future. Even if they don’t, I will always keep my sidewinder for older non FBW planes

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg