Suggestions For New System

I don't understand the i7 recommendation when he doesn't have trackir or pedals yet, and he's on a $1100 budget.

What is he going to get with an i7 and a less powerful gpu that he wouldn't get with an i5 and a more powerful gpu? Give me a fixed budget and I'm confident the latter will have better performance in DCS than the former.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I don't understand the i7 recommendation when he doesn't have trackir or pedals yet, and he's on a $1100 budget.

What is he going to get with an i7 and a less powerful gpu that he wouldn't get with an i5 and a more powerful gpu? Give me a fixed budget and I'm confident the latter will have better performance in DCS than the former.

As I said, you can always add that other stuff later if money wont carry you that far, even an 1TB HDD..new case and new PSU as well. It all depends how much you can do yourself and if you can reuse some of the old stuff for another month or 2 or three until you can replace those as well. I would just not buy a non-K i5 for DCS and settle with 4.1GHz...but expectations are different and skills as well, I accept that.

Add TrackIR, add TS, add SRS, BF-OPS-App, TacView, maybe even stream some content too.....heck...a lot to do for an i5...you see what I mean..

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi all, i received a private message from BuzzU (I think he waits for your comments):

Hi,

Would you please mention in the thread that I can't post right now? I changed my email address and it seems I need to get authorization again. I'm waiting for that.

That system you posted seems pretty good. I just hate to go backwards. I have an i7 now. It's not OC and is just a 2.6, but I know I could OC it. I just don't want to mess with it. It's old and i'm sure it ready to stop working. I've used it a lot in the last 6 years and i'm getting video lockups now.

I can spend $1100-$1200 for a system and get the Trackir next month along with pedals. The TM Warthog is already bought and being delivered Thur. So, i'm getting there.

Will the systems i'm looking at run DCS on high settings smoothly? I can't stand stutters/slowdowns.

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked at the specs of my system. It's pretty sad. This is how I got it from Alienware. I doubled the ram, but it's still low. I also changed the two 5670 cards for one 5870 card.

Processor(s)

•Processor

◦CPU_Name: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

◦CPU_Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

◦CPU_Caption: Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5

◦CPU_Version:

◦CPU_ProcessorId: BFEBFBFF000106A5

◦CPU_CurrentClockSpeed: 2668MHz

◦CPU_AddressWidth: 64Bits

◦CPU_DataWidth: 64Bits

◦CPU_SocketDesignation: CPU 1

•Verified Hardware Device against Order: VARIABLEXYZ

•Verify Correct Processor Frequency

System Memory

•Memory Module

◦Mem_Capacity: 1024MB

◦Mem_BankLabel: DIMM #1

◦Mem_Type: DDR3

◦Mem_Bandwidth: PC3-10660 (1333 MHz)

◦Mem_Frequency: 1336MHz

•Memory Module

◦Mem_BankLabel: DIMM #2

•Memory Module

◦Mem_BankLabel: DIMM #3

BIOS Information

•BIOS_Manufacturer: Alienware

•BIOS_Name: Network:MBA v11.0.14 Slot 0400

•BIOS_Version1: A09

•BIOS_Version2: ALWARE - 20100427

Motherboard Information

•MB_Manufacturer: Alienware

•MB_Product: 04VWF2

•MB_SerialNumber: ..CN6970206H1130.

•MB_Version: A02

Video Adapter

•Video_Caption: ATI Radeon HD 5670

•Video_AdapterRAM: 1024MB

•Video_DriverVersion: 8.723.2.0

Hard Drive(s)

•ST3500418AS

◦Disk_Model: ST3500418AS

◦Disk_Size: 500 GB

◦Disk_Partitions: 3

◦Disk_TotalHeads: 255

◦Disk_TotalCylinders: 60801

◦Disk_TotalTracks: 15504255

◦Disk_TracksPerCylinder: 255

Buzz

You can also buy the mobo and CPU already assembled if you are afraid to damage the pins etc..

It CAN happen, to anybody, so if someone offers you to put it in for 5-10$ and take the responsibility you may do yourself a favour if you buy that option.

Still, if you dont shake your fingers like an 80 y old man its totally doable for anybody, I always do it myself, just RTFM and work slowly when handling those fragile parts and pins.

To Demons advice I would like to add the 6Gb version of the 1060...just to be sure you have more VRAM if new maps eat more than those 3GB with the small version. It's not much but maybe a life saver for DCS and new maps, even at 1080p.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I worry that everything is close to quitting. For 7 years it's been on for at least 10 hours a day. The CPU is water cooled and i'm not sure how a new CPU would adapt. The whole system is not well designed. Because the CPU is water cooled I guess Alienware didn't think the case needed any fans. It has none. It ran fine with the 5760 cards in it, but when I put the 5870 in it I had nothing but trouble with it running hot. I have an Arctic Twin Turbo cooler on the vid card and the case side panel off with a table fan blowing on it. It still locks up when I load it too heavy with graphics.

I really want to start fresh with a more modern system put together by someone who knows what they're doing. I've been waiting for the bank to approve a loan i'm getting for a new system. Hopefully, that won't be much longer. I have enough faith on the loan that I spent the money I had for the Warthog, Trackir, and pedals. Fingers crossed.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

The bank president is a hunting buddy, so I don't think he'll turn down m y loan, but just in case I started to fool in the bios in my system. I increased it from 2.6 to 3.0. Is there anything else I need to do? How high can I go? I looked at the voltage and it didn't seem to be adjustable. The system was setup to OC and they made it easy, but didn't explain anything except how to get into bios.

Then for a $140 I can get a GTX 1050. That has to be a big improvement over my present 5870. Then maybe some more memory.

What do you think?

Buzz

Dont overdo it with this old rig Buzz !

Cooling might be an issue, that old TIM is not really great when overclocking, so have a close eye on the CPU temps, maybe take the cooler off and reapply new TIM. I would do that !

Some Bios's dont have all options, Dell, HP, Alienware(Dell) etc.. usually dont give you such options in Bios...that would flood their HelpDesk with zillions of calls.

Well, I got the loan. I have $1200 to spend. I can't quite get what I want for that much. I'm trying for at least 4.0 CPU, 16g ram and a 1070 card. Everyone I find with those specs are around $1400. Every system has way more storage than i'll ever need. Some are water cooled which would be nice.

If you guys know about a deal that i'm not finding please let me know. My eyes are bloodshot looking for the best deal.

Buzz

I have no time now, i have just purchased a 2017 RAM 1500 Quadcab HEMI 4x4. Maybe this weekend.

The i5 7600 runs at 4.1Ghz on load, and the i7 7700 runs 4.2Ghz. If you only play DCS, you don't need the hyper-threading (and the extra price) of the i7. DCS will not upgrade to multi processing before your pc will be obsolete (many years).

You don't need a Gtx1070 to run your resolution. Purchase what you need, you can purchase a bigger video card later if goes to higher resolution ().

Note: Many of the Gtx1060 6GB (and the Gtx1070) are the "mini" size and not mentioned in the system spec.

What do you think Bit?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFS4F36812

Edited by Demon_

I am astound you opt for a prebuilt system Demon !

Why dont you do it yourself and save some bucks and have the option to choose yourself what to put in.

I could not find out what mobo those 2 systems have, that is a crucial part !

They seem ok so far, whereas I just will never recommend a prebuild thing...it's against my nature I guess :)

7600k or 7700k

Asus Z270 board that fits your budget

16GB 3200+ ( 2x8 )

SSD that fits your budget ( Samsung 850Pro is my pick, 10y warranty )

1060gtx 6gb

anything else can come later and in small chunks as money is available but I would not sacrifice quality over comfort ( aka comfort = prebuilt ).

That is my opinion ;P

and hey....wish I could hop in that truck with you and go for a wild ride ;)

ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont you do it yourself and save some bucks and have the option to choose yourself what to put in.

I could not find out what mobo those 2 systems have, that is a crucial part !

They seem ok so far, whereas I just will never recommend a prebuild thing...it's against my nature I guess :)

7600k or 7700k

Asus Z270 board that fits your budget

16GB 3200+ ( 2x8 )

SSD that fits your budget ( Samsung 850Pro is my pick, 10y warranty )

1060gtx 6gb

anything else can come later and in small chunks as money is available but I would not sacrifice quality over comfort ( aka comfort = prebuilt ).

That is my opinion ;P

LOL! YEP! :megalol:

..checked again, one of them has a H110 chipset..BAHHHH no-go !!!!

DONT buy any of those two !!!!!! imho

Bit...........As I explained earlier in this thread. I don't have the knowledge to build my own system. I tried it once and it was the worst system I ever had. Nothing but ass aches.

Ok, I understand you'd never buy a built system. Try and understand I have to. I could go buy something on my own and make a mistake. Both of the two systems that Demon picked looked good to me. You know better and said don't buy them. Ok, I accept that. I do have to buy something though. So, please put aside your feelings on built systems and tell me what I should get.

Buzz

BuzzU,

as I said before, look out for systems that do actually name their internals, with Vendor, Modell and Version, written as text so you know what you buy.

Those 2 systems had eater eggs, one was a H-chipset and the other one didnt even mention it, assume it is NOT a Z chipset.

Go to a local guy or shop in a town near you ( I really hope you have that possibilitym ) and tell him this:

Intel 7600k i5 CPU ( or 7700k i7 if you can afford without sacrificing ANY of the following )

Asus Z270 Mainboard ( mine is very fair priced and works, 150€ ), Prime Z270-A is my modell.

16GB RAM DDR4 ( 2 x8 GB, so you can upgrade to 4 x 8GB if needed at alter stage )

The speed is a price thing, sometimes 3000 sells for just 10 bucks more than 2133.

Tell that guy to get a good fast one, if you can afford it, IF NOT..buy Kingston Value RAM, it wont let you down and is my 1st pick for anybodies PC who wishes standard RAM for a fair price

SSD 250GB ( Samsung 850Pro recommended ), NVMe-SSD ONLY if you can afford it.

1060GTX 6GB, full length card if possible

decent PSU 650-750w is plenty reserve ( Seasonic, Corsair AXi or HXi ).

Aynthing else is up to you, case, fans, exterior bells & whistles etc..

As you are in the states I cannot do this for you which I would for free if you woulod live close by, hey I love doing that :)

Maybe you have a knowledgable friend or relative as well that could help you to do it.

Either way, the hardest part is picking parts that fit together if you dont know your way around hardware.

We can make you a shopping list at a US site and you only have to assemble it, if you dare to do that. You would not have to worry about what parts to pick.

It may even be that you can have the CPU inserted by the shop as well, if you dont like the idea of handling the CPU by yourself. Its a 10-20 € extra to have it put in by them.

Attaching a cooler is simple, Noctua for example is the easiest I have ever seen myself.

Putting the board into the case is a few screws, the backplate, cables etc... very simple actually. RAM and GPU plug right in and Sata cables are a no-brainer too.

Your fear might originate by doing it all yourself, you dont !

We as a team piuck your parts, you order it, assembled maybe, and we help you get the rest done !

We can also shop for a prebuilt machine that lists all its parts, has no stupid trade-offs and comes at a fair price. Maybe we find such a thing, usually that would be 99% identical to what we would pick as parts, jst with everything assembled in a case.

Tell me if you think that you could partly assemble it if we assist you with parts and how-to.

Newegg seems to be one of those shops where you can order parts and also have them assemble it, partly and complete !?

?? Am I right Demon ??

First off I have to do it all online. I live in a small town in the Colorado Rockies. There's no computer shops within 100 miles. My Jeep is my fly fishing/hunting Jeep with big mud times. So, I never go that far. I never have to normally. I have the internet.

I was an auto mechanic and i'm retired now. So, have mechanical ability. Putting in the parts is not hard, but the rest is. I'm not too slick with software. I probably can't make the wiring look like a pro built computer either. They do it for a living.

To be honest. I really prefer to buy one built. It will have a warranty and it will be pre-tested under load to make sure it all works right.

Remember i'm self-taught when it comes to computers. So, I had a dummy for a teacher. There was a time when I thought everybody who had a computer was a nerd. Well, here I am. Now I can't live without a computer.

Buzz

I went to Newgg for you and I can get parts for 959$ that fits what I wrote above, I just cant find the "send assembled" option ehhhhh.

Maybe someone from the US know sa place that does ship built-to-order but you will pay a lot of money for this "extra" if they also need to install WIn10 and test it, nothing is for free at those places.

I accept you dont want to built it yourself, bummer ! :( Having no one close by is not good, I totally understand that.

Still, I attach a PDF from newegg what I thought would fit your need and budget, excluding Case, PSU and Win10 and COOLER...you need to say Air or Water !!!....yeah..no DVD either LoL

So you know what parts are actually those that you should look for

Newegg.com Shopping Cart.pdf

Edited by BitMaster

Thank you for doing this. I do appreciate it. :)

I just got back from the bank, so now I have the money. I'll look around and see if I can find a system with what you suggest. I doubt i'll find it built for $1200, but i'll try. I spent what extra money I have from my April SS check on Trackir and pedals. So, $1200 is my limit unless I wait until the May check. I'm not patient enough to do that. My present system has too many pauses in DCS to have any fun. Same thing with IL2 COD and IL2 BOS. Long pauses. I was hoping boosting my CPU up to 3.2 would help that, but it didn't. My vid card is too weak.

Buzz