Suggestions For New System

I'm at your mercy because i'm not a system whiz, even on the low scale. I'm just coming back into flight sims from race sims. (Grand Prix Legends) My system is an old Alienware and is not up to running DCS. Not even close. It must be 6 years old now. It's time to give it away to someone just looking to run old sims.

So, I just bought the TM Warthog controller and it's left me a bit low on spare cash. I have about $1100 to spend for a system. I still need to buy Trackir and pedals too.

What do you guys recommend for me to buy and run DCS on high settings if that's possible for my budget? A reliable company and model would be helpful. Maybe something that's on sale. There are so many options right now i'm kind of lost.

Thanks.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

I've never done it, but I found one system that had it built in and only needed a button push. Can't I buy a system OC?

To do it on my own? I've never done it. I'm self taught, so my teacher was a dummy.

Buzz

I tried that once and I had nothing but problems. I'd prefer to buy one built. I've seen systems in my price range that were i7 OC, 16g ram, and a 1060 card. That seems like it will do what I want. I'm just not sure what company to buy from.

Plus, my plan is to fly the A-10c and I know that's going to take all my time.

Buzz

Theres no advantage to the i7 at this time given DCS does not support multicore. Go with an i5.

• Like 1

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

There's a bunch of them. Here's one example. It's a bit over my budget, but close enough.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102272

hello,

This one is very similar, with a graphics card just a tad less powerful, but costs almost 25% less:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102275

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yes, but only have 240GB (SSD) of storage. You'll need to add a 1TB (HDD) hard drive.

Something like this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339&ignorebbr=1

But for $100 more, this one has the powerful Gtx1070 8G of video RAM: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102272

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

DCS could be nearly 100GB, or more, with all the modules and all three maps combined into v2.5. I would consider adding another drive for general storage. Ideally, another SSD for DCS as well as a spinner for storage. This would leave the 256GB drive for your OS and any general software.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That is a good start. When you budget allows, I would still add another SSD to separate DCS from the OS. It's not a huge issue but since the OS is often doing things, in the background, while you are flying, it can improve things a bit.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm trying to understand this. Wouldn't the OS be on the HDD and DCS be on the SSD in that system?

Technically that could work (I'm happy to use such setup myself, but only because I added an SSD to already existing config). However, for a new build, people tend to first and foremost put the OS on SSD, as it just works much faster that way.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Cichlidfan means: The best is one SSD for Windows, another SSD for DCS, and one HDD for general storage. Because Windows doing things while DCS run and need fast access to the SSD too.

But on your case BuzzU (tight budget), one SSD for Windows and DCS, and one HDD for general storage.

A TrackIr is expensive.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Go to a local guy that you trust, might even be a friend or relative if there is no shop around.

As games tend to use more cores, I cannot and will not recommend an i5, true is that for now they are sufficient for DCS as of now.

An i7 or maybe Ryzen is much more future proof. The Ryzen DOES NEED some patches and Bios updates but they should work great too once tuned in.

For now, I'd go for a i7-7700k 16GB and a GPU you can afford, a 1060/6GB for sure is a good card to start with.

The system in my rig is rather budget from the mobo side, its a valid starting point, not overdone but delivers what I need.

i5 = works now, great performance, less futureproof, good overclocker

i7 = works even better, good overclocker, right now you cant beat the 7700k with any other CPU

Ryzen = doesnt work 100% right now but will work soon....that has some gambing with it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

TiR5 and other stuff you can always add later and dont sacrifice anything.

Get the bare metal thing tight and futureproof and add other stuff when you can afford again.

CPU-MOBO-RAM-SSD ( you can also add an SSD later if you cant afford SSD right away ).

Just make sure the CPU and board fits, that is most crucial.

...and a good good cooler....you may want to venture into OC with thos enew boards....its easy to some extend.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X