DCS and lighting engine ...simple question

Frag

Hi guys,

I would just like to get up to date about a subject and I cannot find the information in this forum.

As many of you noticed, the lighting system in DCS seems broken. The chopper and plane lights are dimmed to a minimum, explosion does not create light ... many stuff look odds at night. Briefly, light does not seem to reflect at all.

I read somwhere (I could be wrong), that this thing would be related to a texture tech changes they did few months ago. Just wondering ... was there any confirmation by ED at some point that they will fix this up? Is it parked since they are working to transfer on a new Vulcan engine? I am confused here.

Briefly, is there any official communication from ED about the lighting system? I saw the plan on 2019, which was mostly new planes and carriers ... but there is mostly nothing about the world itself.

Thanks

• ED Team

I dont have a timeline, but I know lots to do with lighting could be tweaked still, there are performance issues will all of it as well, so things get added carefully as not to tank FPS ect. Lighting improvements have come, and I am sure will continue, as always though, post bugs, examples, tracks, etc when you have issues to better track and report things that really hurt gameplay.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Lighting in DCS is...lets be nice by saying not good.. NineLine I don't think you need a track to see lighting needs a complete overhaul.

As OP says, lights doesn't reflect at all. Objects illuminated by light sources are actually glowing textures which in most cases is annoyingly obvious.

Many light issues has been reported around the forums with no word from ED at all.

Imho rendering and specifically lights and shadows are the weakest point in DCS and hopefully we will see a major improvement in the near future.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are lights, and then there are lights.

I essentially agree with metzger, but I think it is important to focus on the specific lighting areas that matter most, first, and take care of the essentials. Airplane lights and airfield lighting needs to be prioritized. For example, I think it is a lot less important what Las Vegas looks like at night than the ability to spot another airplane's anti-collision lights from realistic distances...

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

There are lights, and then there are lights.

I essentially agree with metzger, but I think it is important to focus on the specific lighting areas that matter most, first, and take care of the essentials. Airplane lights and airfield lighting needs to be prioritized. For example, I think it is a lot less important what Las Vegas looks like at night than the ability to spot another airplane's anti-collision lights from realistic distances...

It's correct. I don't want to specify specific lights here, they are reported separately all around the forums. I would say that in general, all lights illumination except the sunlight is one big workaround, lights not illuminating, not casting shadows, going trough the cockpits, not visible from distance and so on..

The point is those are reported on different threads multiple times and they have been ignored from ED there is no single word, now there are so many threads about light issues that it is already hard to track them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ED Team,

How about creating a category for lighting?

Ed Forums--->English--->Digital Combat Simulator--->DCS World 2.5--->Bugs and Problems--->Lighting

That way we can group together all lighting related previous posts and future posts on lighting

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

I am pretty sure that they are already aware of the lightning issues. Was just wondering if I missed an official announcement on the subject at some point.

If they are planning to move to Vulcan, I guess its not worth fixing the graphical engine before they do so. They will probably move first ... then correct graphical issues after that.

Wonder if that Vulcan thing is still on their plate.

I am pretty sure that they are already aware of the lightning issues. Was just wondering if I missed an official announcement on the subject at some point.

If they are planning to move to Vulcan, I guess its not worth fixing the graphical engine before they do so. They will probably move first ... then correct graphical issues after that.

Wonder if that Vulcan thing is still on their plate.

Sure they are. I haven't seen anywhere any statement from them, which makes me believe we wont see lights fixed any time soon...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aware of any recent words regarding Vulcan?

Nope. There is just an year since DS came, I hardly believe this Vulcan thing will come soon. There were big hopes for DS and it delivered only issues so far with very little eye candy benefit. Hopefully vulcan will be better when it comes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]