Help Needed

Kentvilla

Hi All newbie here. I have just downloaded the DCS world. Now I want o buy a plane but noticed the planes on the minimum requirements say storage space 60 gig? is that on top of the 90 odd gig I have used on DCS World. So I would need effectively 150gig to play the game?. and the same with RAM to?

Welcome to the forum Kentvilla

152 GB here with all the 4 maps and many aircraft.

If you only have the free map installed, it shouldn't be that large I would think?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

SSD drive is also very highly recommend for reasonable loading times.

Persian Gulf 31.6 GB

Normandy 10.5 GB

Nevada 33.8 GB

Well, Perhaps it is more like 80?

I only have 16 GB of ram and don't have any problems. 16 GB would be the minimum I would recommend tho.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Im currently running it on a laptop not ideal I know but it has 128 SSD, V130 Core i5 - 7200U 4GB ram. But plays really well on low settings. But worried if I download a plane it wont play or wont have any room.

Cant afford anything better yet. But love the game.

Do I still have to have the DCS world installed if I download the Persian gulf? or can I use that in stead?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but im trying to find my way here

Yes , Persian Gulf is an addition to , not a replacement for , DCS world .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Im currently running it on a laptop not ideal I know but it has 128 SSD, V130 Core i5 - 7200U 4GB ram. But plays really well on low settings. But worried if I download a plane it wont play or wont have any room.

Do I still have to have the DCS world installed if I download the Persian gulf? or can I use that in stead?

The individual aircrafts dont use too much space, less than 1 GB each ... but the Map is a very different beast .. persian Gulf uses 32 GB, so dont purchase it until you can have a bigger disk, as I doubt that a 128 GB will be enough for Windows + dcs + PG map.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The individual aircrafts dont use too much space, less than 1 GB each ... but the Map is a very different beast .. persian Gulf uses 32 GB, so dont purchase it until you can have a bigger disk, as I doubt that a 128 GB will be enough for Windows + dcs + PG map.

So if I just get the plane I can use it on the standard DCS world Map? But can I fly missions on that and maybe join other members in missions or do I need the same maps they have?

Your 'puter absolutely will NOT run DCS in multiplayer .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So if I just get the plane I can use it on the standard DCS world Map?

That is correct, but please clarify this a bit: are you currently using DCS on a laptop with just 4 GB of RAM? .. if yes, then maybe you have a very old version of DCS installed: 1.2 or 1.5; as the current 2.5 version requires 8 GB minimum.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That is correct, but please clarify this a bit: are you currently using DCS on a laptop with just 4 GB of RAM? .. if yes, then maybe you have a very old version of DCS installed: 1.2 or 1.5; as the current 2.5 version requires 8 GB minimum.

I have downloaded the 2.5 version but playing it on low settings and works fine

You propably would like to join one of the big servers for a test before saying it is running good on your laptop.

Try the Blue Flag server for example, and you will notice a considerable performance loss if you even can connect.

Missions with heavy load (many units, scripts, clients on it) use more resources.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett