A-A missles for A-G use?

CASoldier2014

Some of the missiles lock on stationary ground targets. But those seem to be aircraft that with stationary running engines or recently landed ones, whose engines are still hot. I read somewhere that A-10's used to fire Aim-9's at ground targets. So the russians should be able to do that as well.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

But this answer didn't answer the question, did it? :D The question is does this tactics work in DCS, with its current missile modelling.

I never tested it, but it might be worth firing up mission editor and putting some taxiing planes on the ramp to shoot at.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yeah... but the thing is... in the first gulf-war, it was a case of friendly fire from the A-10 at some British special forces who got way behind the frontline. Appearantly, the sun was heating up their Landrovers (or whatever ATV they had) and it was appearantly enough for the Sidewinder to produce a tone. Nobody got hurt in the end I think.

Stationary running engines definitely produces a tone on the MiG-21 IR missiles. But I never actually fired them in those conditions. Because it only locks when you are very close to the actual target. And stationary targets pass really, really quickly in a MiG-21. So I don't think it is really an effective method of attacking aircraft on the ground at all. A few well placed 23mm shots, or possibly 57mm rockets will be equally effective.

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

About the same scenario as with the A10. But i highly doubt tanks were destroyed. Since the warhead on the R-60 is rather small.

It is possible if the tanks/APCs involved had very thin armour on the top. The BMP-1 has a mere 6mm of roof armour, so it would probably be vulnerable to a direct hit.

switch to beam mode, select R3R, flip up the launch override switch, the one with the red cover behind the stick, make sure you're a good 5+ KM away when you launch, or the missile won't have enough time to start properly tracking... it's like a mini-grom...

the RS-2US as well, but that's more like 4KM...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

switch to beam mode, select R3R, flip up the launch override switch, the one with the red cover behind the stick, make sure you're a good 5+ KM away when you launch, or the missile won't have enough time to start properly tracking... it's like a mini-grom...

You're sure? I used to try that before and wouldn't work (and at least in case of R-3R shouldn't either in my opinion).

Behind the stick there is tactical release switch, and missile emergency launch button. Is there a launch override switch I am missing besides these?

Just tried this again with RS2US, flipping the tactical switch up, and they don't seem to guide at all, whatever the distance I shoot them at. Back then when the module was released, tried with emergency launch button, which would fire the missiles but they wouldn't guide either.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

There's a launch override? Thanks! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

The GROM is horribly inaccurate sometimes. How good does the R3R work?

I sometimes tried to lock on ground targets with the Warthogs AIM-9, but that doesn't work in DCS. I think I've also tried it with the Fishbeds R-60M when it was new, but I think I had no success either. I think it's technically not possible in DCS to lock on ground targets with (heat seeking) A-A missiles in DCS. Apparently ground vehicles don't have the required attributes to be locked by them.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg