Bug in PFM? Canards change pitch when going >900km/h or <800km/h

BlackPixxel

Hi!

During regular flight, the canards should be more or less level. But as soon as the Su-33 goes faster than ~900 km/h, the canards will pitch up a few degrees and stay at that angle. This causes the plane to suddenly pitch up and it needs a big abrupt trim correction.

The canards only go back to the default angle when the Su-33 slows down to below ~800 km/h. This of course causes the plane to suddenly pitch forwards and it needs a big abrupt trim correction again.

Here is a video showing the behaviour from external view and cockpit. Look at the speed and the canard/aircraft pitching behaviour:

To me this seems to be a bug, or is this behaviour intentional?

But such a rapid shift? Pitch angle of the canards is either zero or instantly positive.

Shouldn't there be a smooth transition depending on speed, not ON/OFF?

Why should they go up at high speed at all? The plane needs even more downtrim then than it already needs at increasing speed.

Why would the 33 suddenly need positive stability at high speed flying when the 27 flies just fine without canards? To me that seems like a waste of energy (higher drag).

To me that rapid change seems very wrong, the adjustment of the canards should be continuous and not ON/OFF. Flying in formation must be scary IRL if the DCS behaviour is correct, with Su-33 suddenly jumping upwards as soon as they reach 900 km/h.

Edited by BlackPixxel

Actually, the speed at which it occurs varies with altitude; it's not tied to a specific IAS, TAS, or Mach number. But at whatever airspeed it occurs, it is abrupt. I don't have a realworld manual for it, unfortunately, to see if there's anything on it. That said, the fact that it's abrupt doesn't make it a bug. There are a lot of things that seem odd that turn out to be correctly modeled with the Russian aircraft.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Actually, the speed at which it occurs varies with altitude; it's not tied to a specific IAS, TAS, or Mach number. But at whatever airspeed it occurs, it is abrupt. I don't have a realworld manual for it, unfortunately, to see if there's anything on it. That said, the fact that it's abrupt doesn't make it a bug. There are a lot of things that seem odd that turn out to be correctly modeled with the Russian aircraft.

There's a lot of stuff in Western aircraft that's bizarre and illogical, too. One guy I saw the other day was saying Apaches have a form of stability augmentation intended to ''protect'' the pilots from errors, but it's prone to wigging out and randomly trying to kill you, ala the recent 737 MAX debacle. He said they warn you about it in training to always be ready for it to do that, but it's never been corrected or really highlighted so as to avoid disrupting supply and maintenance contracts + bad pr from admitting a ''mistake''.

I seriously doubt we are alone in whitewashing design... ummmmmm... ''quirks''.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

:-)

You have a more generous view of corporate morals than I see evidence of them deserving...

From their point of view it's not a BS reason if it increases return to shareholder - that's what 'defence' companies exist to do...

Supplying equipment with which to defend the country is a means to an end, not the end in itself.

Thanks to some Republican lawmaker I can't remember the name of, company directors have for some years had a legal obligation to maximise returns to shareholders.

Social goods like better defence for the country or a safer flight for a pilot are not reasonable goals for a company to strive for beyond the point where achieving them generates additional revenue :-)

If refusing to acknowledge fault and labelling a software glitch a feature saves some millions in actual remediation costs, and possibly saves some billions in lost future earnings by avoiding reputational damage from publicity, that's the proper course for a board & their managers to take to the very outer limits of what the law will allow - even if it leaves service men and women vulnerable.

The bottom line is not BS to a defence contractor.

Cheers.

the canards control air flow across the wing. by taking that shape at high speed they probably greatly reduce the drag created by the wings. by reducing the airflow across them.

thus more than compensating for the increased drag of the canards.

would be my wild assed guess :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

That sounds very fishy. There's a reason why it isn't corrected, and it isn't going to be some BS reason.

Even a cursory overview of military history, particularly modern military industrial history will reveal literally thousands of examples of this very sort of thing. There are any number of reasons why stuff like that happens, and yes, they very often are indeed "BS reasons" related to money, politics, pride, etc. It's nothing new, and it's not something that no longer happens in "modern times" ;) A particularly well known example is literally the entire military production line of 1940s Nazi Germany, which was consistently hobbled by the ego and ignorance of Hitler and Goering. Nobody disputes that particular example, but it's hardly an outlier. This is all OT though, so I'll shut up ;)

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah. but the question is still pertinent and it should be answered with facts.. All these speculations and assumptions will stray us away from the truth.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5