Bad performance in Normandy map

motoadve

I am disappointed with Normandy map, the performance is terrible even with a 2080ti and a processor running at 5.0.

I am using VR .

Already reduced the draw distance, no smoke, least amount of trees, still not smooth at all.

Any other setting that helps performance.

I also find it very shimmery and the green color is way too bright and unrealistic.

Can't help with the VR aspect, but generally decrease your preload radius until it is smooth. The downside will be more frequent freezing as you fly along.

How much RAM do you have? I found 24GB was acceptable. Turn on the performance monitor and watch your RAM and CPU usage, most likely RAM is the culprit but CPU is next. DCSis not very demanding on GPU, a 980 will run this map with enough RAM and a fast CPU.

No a 980 will not run VR well, in VR the Normandy map is very CPU and GPU resource demanding, it's the worst map of all and the PG map isn't far ahead. IMO it needs some work to bring it (and the PG map) up to at least Caucasus level.

With Rift VR and a 2080TI I max out preload you will need to drop PD back and maybe even MSAA.

I run with PD @1.2 and MSAA @ 4 and get mostly 45FPS in normandy on my 5930@4.7Ghz .

Current rig gets 45 to 90 FPS on the ground on Caucasus and mostly 90FPS on ground in NTTR away from Las Vegas. I haven't bothered loading the other maps on this test rig because their performance is disappointing. Perhaps these announced ED "VR Performance" improvements may help.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Normandy is one of the lesser optimized maps in DCS. And now UGRA is doing the Syria map. If UGRA got their crap together after this Syria map, they better turn on their heel and do some more adjustments to Normandy.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

^ This. and ED for PG map. :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Guess the VR improvement ED is planning goes for every map, as far as they have said to the date. So Normandy will benefit also from the patch they talk about, and about new maps I just expect to be build with that in mind.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

What does "UGRA" stand for?

sent from Moto G5 using Tapatalk

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

UGRA-MEDIA are the software group that dumped Normandy on us,...

Here DCS Shop still selling it with scant support after all this time it would seem. :cry:

"dumped" ?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Well I don't recall getting any updates since purchase of the map and if so we had to endure DCS 2.5.x and deferred shading which makes Normandy pretty much unplayable, unless your into stutter fests. :cry:

It did play okay in VR with a similar rig rolling a 980Ti, just saying.

So yeah seems like they dumped the map on us and took our money,... And,.. Well.

Having said that if they were to even offer an update for payment I'd probably be okay with that as long as it's performance was vastly improved. (Oh and the colour rendition please!)

I wouldn't offer the same for the PG map, as far as I am concerned it's a long from way of being finished.

This is all within the frame of VR performance and DCS. YMMV,.. :)

And Deferred Shading is forced on, not able to disable in some config file?

It's because it's not using SpeedTrees, right? Despite being pretty much the most densely forested map of them all...

Atrocious performance, worst purchase I've ever done, DONT BUY IT. It's a goddamn disgrace.

So yeah seems like they dumped the map on us and took our money,... And,.. Well.

Having said that if they were to even offer an update for payment I'd probably be okay with that as long as it's performance was vastly improved. (Oh and the colour rendition please!)

If it's a very old module (e.g. KA50), then I can understand it, but this is one is far too recent to in any way justify such a thing.

Well I don't recall getting any updates since purchase of the map and if so we had to endure DCS 2.5.x and deferred shading which makes Normandy pretty much unplayable, unless your into stutter fests. :cry:
I think you do have such a bad memory, we had lots of Normandy map updates until relatively recently. And it's not just they forsook the map, it was feature completed (as published in the weekly newsletter noboby seems to read) and then dev focused on Syria map, so until Syria is at least released I don't think they would come back to it for any update aside from VR improvement which probably belongs to ED more than Ugra because it's for all of the maps, although just guessing here. But don't blame me guessing, as you all seem to "overguess" things you just don't know about Ugra media, ED, Normandy map, what will happen in the future, and so :doh: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

21 airbases in Syria, interesting! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Syrian_Air_Force_bases

Also, hope we get Syria map extended to Golan heights!

I think you do have such a bad memory, we had lots of Normandy map updates until relatively recently. And it's not just they forsook the map, it was feature completed (as published in the weekly newsletter noboby seem to read) and then dev focused on Syria map, so until Syria is at least released I don't think they would come back to it for any update aside from VR improvement which probably belongs to ED more than Ugra because it's for all of the maps, although just guessing here. But don't blame me guessing, as you all seem to "overguess" things you just don't know about Ugra media, ED, Normandy map, what will happen in the future, and so :doh: .

S!

Maybe "overguess", maybe the updates where supplied, however they in no way improved performance for VR at least in any meaningful or tangible way for Rift VR.

Irony warning,.. :D

Please don't misunderstand, I quite like the map but it's performance in VR is currently very lacking and that for me is the issue. As for Syria I understand completely we have only two DCS desert maps one that seems to work and the other odd one already and obviously we need a third desert map, clearly rendering not much but desert is easier. :P

TBH the PG map is only slightly more polished and performs mostly better than Normandy compared to the other maps so far, including the other one with lots of trees Caucasus.

IMPO :D :thumbup:

I don't notice CPU-wise fps improvement on PG compared to Caucasus. Still CPU capped at ~45 fps for me, showing that ED still didn't optimize DCS for 6core12 thread CPUs like Ryzen 5 1600X.

21 airbases in Syria, interesting! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Syrian_Air_Force_bases

Also, hope we get Syria map extended to Golan heights!

By ugra-Media, that include some jordan and israel airbases, include Haifa. Golan Heights enter into that zone

https://ugra-media.ru/2018/proekt-blizhnij-vostok/

Maybe "overguess", maybe the updates where supplied, however they in no way improved performance for VR at least in any meaningful or tangible way for Rift VR.
Well, I'm not a VR user but IIRC something was done a time ago, though I understand it can be not enough as VR is very demanding. That's why ED investigated the subject to conclude something with the underwater of the maps was preventing VR from achieving higher FPS, but apparently only in VR. And that's the patch they said they are working on, already available for Caucasus internally and the other maps being worked on. We all want updates right now, but that's what we have currently, they are aware of the problem, they are working on it. Freaking out with the "this map is forsaken" motto won't make it arrive sooner, not to mention it's unfair to them to say the least as we know they found something and a solution is being worked on.

With regards to even better performance for everyone, including the multithread option. Well, we do know also a change to Vulkan API is also being worked on and that would apparently suppose a huge FPS leap ahead for everyone, I guess also for VR. Again, the "are they even aware of this", or "they do nothing to fix it" mottos won't make it arrive earlier, not to mention they are plain lies and misinformation for the people reading these forums which didn't heard of those WIP.

clearly rendering not much but desert is easier
Yeah, or maybe they just aim for actual conflict scenarios. Who knows :doh: .

S!

I don't notice CPU-wise fps improvement on PG compared to Caucasus. Still CPU capped at ~45 fps for me, showing that ED still didn't optimize DCS for 6core12 thread CPUs like Ryzen 5 1600X.

DCS only uses one core so I would not expect any improvement. This is why you can run this map On a 980 or a 2080 (at least using TrackIR) and see no improvement, the GPU is not the bottle neck. Try disabling multi-threading and you may see some improvement.

You will have to wait for the implementation of Vulkan API to see significant improvement with your multi core CPU I am afraid.

Why Vulkan API, why not just move specific physics functions (assuming those are the heavy ones) to other CPU cores?

How... He never replies to private messages fyi.

Yeah, or maybe they just aim for actual conflict scenarios. Who knows :doh: .

S!

Yes and Nevada is so war torn,.. :D