Ultra-wide Monitor as a single monitor help needed.

AvgWhiteGuy

I was using a 28" 'normal' monitor running 1920 x 1080 and all appeared just fine, life was good.

I just bought a LG 32" Ultra Widescreen and set DCS at 2560 x 1080 and although all appears fine for the most part, the SnapViews are useless. They appear way too zoomed and the Num9 (CDU) is almost useless, I can barely access the bottom 2 LSKs and view only about 25% of the bottom of CDU Display Window itself.

Can anyone tell me how I can resize, reset, rebuild, or customize my SnapViews so they are 'normal' and usable?

Can anyone that has one of these ultra-wide monitors tell me what the proper settings in general would be? I'm especially talking about the Settings-System-Graphics with respect to Resolution, Aspect Ratio, and other fields there.

So far I'm not too impressed with using the ultra-wide for my flying because of this and what it may be doing to my video card....what a thrashing it must be taking! I'm about to drop an MSI GTX 1070 x 8G in my machine and anticipate a significantly better experience in general but still need to solve the SnapViews.

Any other tips for ultra-wide screen use would be much appreciated. If it matters; system includes a Asus B85 Pro Gamer, 32G RAM, Win10Pro64, TM HOTAS, MFCDs, Orbweaver, TrackIR, blah, blah, blah.

Really appreciate any help you folks can give me; my flying sucks but I do love it. October holiday in China starts next week and I got a week of flyin, bombin, crashin, ahead of me....life is good!

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I use an LG 35" single monitor and frankly I find it to be, well... very nearly a substitute for VR, its really great. I use it with Trackir, and I never use snap views (other than to save my head position where I want it in the cockpit), I look where I need to look.

Not sure why the CDU is useless for you exactly, I think you're getting at the ultrawide format being difficult as the CDU is down in the low-low-low-left corner, which obviously is not right there in the bottom right corner in an ultrawide. You might try adjusting your head position a bit, zooming out a tad, maybe using an A-10C specific TrackIR profile (I do), also consider using a gamepad such as a Logitech G13 (which I do, I have profiles on it that I can hotswap to allow it to serve as push-button MFD left/right and also as the CDU) to allow more rapid use of those three displays (there's one for the UFC as well on that gamepad).

Make sure you're set at the highest native resolution for the monitor, and potentially consider using Nvidia DSR (downsample resolution) to run at a slightly higher than native resolution and get a little more into the picture so to speak, just don't DSR up so high that you can't read the text :)

you can give this a try and see how it works for you..:thumbup: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Guys, I may be wrong but I don't think head position or TrackIR have anything to do with this issue. It has to do with the SnapView and how they are generated.

I can look down with TrackIR and see/access the CDU or anywhere else in the cockpit without a problem. The problem is that when I want to SnapView (toggle on) and make an entry on the CDU I can only see the bottom half of the 'normal' (1920x1080) view.

I can't see/read the top half of the CDU display. So I could not create a Flight Plan or do anything that requires seeing the top.

My other SnapViews are equally zoomed so I can't see/access some of the buttons on the MFCDs. It seems I need to create more customized SnapViews if that is possible.

@Schwarzfeld...is your 34" an 'ultra-widescreen' or just widescreen? If it is what are your settings for resolution and the others I mentioned above?

Cheers & Thanks,

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I was using a 28" 'normal' monitor running 1920 x 1080 and all appeared just fine, life was good.

I just bought a LG 32" Ultra Widescreen and set DCS at 2560 x 1080 and although all appears fine for the most part, the SnapViews are useless. They appear way too zoomed and the Num9 (CDU) is almost useless, I can barely access the bottom 2 LSKs and view only about 25% of the bottom of CDU Display Window itself.

Can anyone tell me how I can resize, reset, rebuild, or customize my SnapViews so they are 'normal' and usable?

Can anyone that has one of these ultra-wide monitors tell me what the proper settings in general would be? I'm especially talking about the Settings-System-Graphics with respect to Resolution, Aspect Ratio, and other fields there.

So far I'm not too impressed with using the ultra-wide for my flying because of this and what it may be doing to my video card....what a thrashing it must be taking! I'm about to drop an MSI GTX 1070 x 8G in my machine and anticipate a significantly better experience in general but still need to solve the SnapViews.

Any other tips for ultra-wide screen use would be much appreciated. If it matters; system includes a Asus B85 Pro Gamer, 32G RAM, Win10Pro64, TM HOTAS, MFCDs, Orbweaver, TrackIR, blah, blah, blah.

Really appreciate any help you folks can give me; my flying sucks but I do love it. October holiday in China starts next week and I got a week of flyin, bombin, crashin, ahead of me....life is good!

Try this...

Customising a Snap View:

1. Set your current view up as you want it saved.

2. Press LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customising. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.

3. Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customised snap view!

Edited by fitness88

@fitness88 - appreciate your help here but....hehehehe...screwed things up even worse before I re-read your instruction and did a little Wiki research to understand what you were saying (correctly). Then I deleted the SnapView.lua and started from scrtch.

In 'Customising a SnapView' as you wrote, the real important part seems to be Step#2 and understanding that it doesn't just view the current SnapView setting for that key but it holds that key as a maker for Step#3. After several attempts I've got even more effective, efficient SnapViews set up. Thanks very much!!!

On the other significant issue of the monitor itself, if anyone has one of these ultra-wide screens I'd really appreciate any info on the Settings-System-Graphics settings to take full advantage of it. This model [LG-UM68] isn't the curved one but it is immersive.

The attachments will give you a better idea of what the original problem was with a new ultra-wide screen monitor and accessing the CDU.

#1 - original default SnapView#3 for 1920 x 1080 ...that works

#2 - same SnapView#3 on a 2560 x 1080 ...that ain't gonna cut it

#3 - new SnapView#3 on a 2560 x 1080 ...ah..that's even better

Thanks to all for your input.

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy

RE: my monitor setup - I have a 34UM57P, an ultra-wide LG. As mentioned above, snap views can be customized and saved. I run 2560x1080, no DSR.

I've honestly never used snapviews other than to save default head position, just look down at the CDU and do your thing, maybe thats just me...

To use as a guide on how and what to change.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I bought an LG 34UM67 34" Ultrawide a little over a year ago and have never looked back. Just set the DCS resolution to 2560x1080 and leave the screen aspect setting alone. DCS will figure that for you.

Yes, standard snap views are invalid or improper for this aspect, so just make all new ones like this:

1. Set the view you want using keys, mouse or TrackIR, then pause TrackIR.

2. Press L WIN and the numpad key you want to use for this new snap view.

3. Then press R ALT plus NumPad 0

4. Done. You can also assign snap views to a button or switch/hat in the control assignments.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

It is not the problem of head position in cockpit. Leave it as it was! Also don't change anything in the TIR setup. You need to extend the field of view (aka zoom). This is due to the fact that 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1080 have different aspect ratios.

Method 1. Snap views

1. Pause TIR

2. Hit Num5 - this will set the head position to default

3. Hit NumEnter - this will set the zoom to default

4. Hit Num/ to zoom out - (Num* to zoom in if the FOV is to wide)

5. Hit RAlt + Num0 to save your settings

The problem of this method is that it has to be repeated for every single aircraft as also it does not result in consistent FOV across different modules.

Method 2.

1. Run the method 1. for one of the aircrafts.

2. Go to "Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View", open SnapViews.lua file. (for 2.x it is DCS.openalpha)

3. Find the section for the aircraft for which the changes from point 1. were done (for instance "SnapViews["A-10C"]")

4. Find entry at position 13 - "[13] = {--default view", and "viewAngle" value.

5. Make it nice and round number (optional) and copy it to [13] - viewAngle setting for other aircrafts.

EDIT:

You can also use this link: http://www.wsgf.org/fovcalc.php to recalculate from old resolution and fov to the new ones.

For ultra wide try the FOV of 107, for full HD FOV of 90 - this however is quite subjective and should be set based on individual preferences.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all