Orange entries in control settings after changing TDC sensitivity

imacken

For most DCS modules, I find the TDC control too sensitive, and I usually have it bound to some radar functions. So, I always reduce the up/down values from 1 to 0.2 in the 'default.lua' and 'Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua' files in the joystick folder.

I then use OvGME to enable/disable at patch times.

This has always worked well for me, but when I try to do it fro the F-14 RIO controls, it doesn't work, and I get orange entries in the control menu.

Can anyone help?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It means the controls file changed and there are diff mismatches. Repair dcs, grab a new version and reapply your edits there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

It means the controls file changed and there are diff mismatches. Repair dcs, grab a new version and reapply your edits there.

Thanks, but that didn't work. If you mean the diff files in Saved Games, then they are unaffected. I change the files in the DCS install folder using OvGME.

As I said in previous post, this works perfectly in other modules. Just something not right in the Tomcat.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks, but that didn't work. If you mean the diff files in Saved Games, then they are unaffected. I change the files in the DCS install folder using OvGME.

As I said in previous post, this works perfectly in other modules. Just something not right in the Tomcat.

Nope, the default.lua changed and thus your replacement breaks the diff.lua.

You need to repair, do the changes again to the default.lua and likely create the diff.lua from scratch.

Rather than messing up files in the installation I would recommend to tweak the axis in game under the controls setting. Reducing SaturationY should achieve the same.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Nope, the default.lua changed and thus your replacement breaks the diff.lua.

You need to repair, do the changes again to the default.lua and likely create the diff.lua from scratch.

Rather than messing up files in the installation I would recommend to tweak the axis in game under the controls setting. Reducing SaturationY should achieve the same.

Thanks but as I said in the previous post, I tried doing a repair, etc. and it didn't work.

This is not an axis, it's the TMS switch and cannot be adjusted in-game settings.

There is something different going on with the Tomcat input files, because as I have said, I have always used this method for other modules, e.g. Hornet, F-5, Viggen and A-10C without any issues at all.

I had the same issue with hook toggling and editing diff luas helped. Try removing your diff lua temporarily and see if red lines disappear

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Thanks but as I said in the previous post, I tried doing a repair, etc. and it didn't work.

This is not an axis, it's the TMS switch and cannot be adjusted in-game settings.

There is something different going on with the Tomcat input files, because as I have said, I have always used this method for other modules, e.g. Hornet, F-5, Viggen and A-10C without any issues at all.

The input files for the other planes didn't change with any of the latest patches.

It is not recommended to mod or change files under Program files/.../DCS World etc.

The orange control bindings clearly indicates a mismatch between the default.lua you put into the DCS install and the diff.lua.

The recommended repair is to do a DCS repair (that would overwrite your default.lua with the correct one from Heatblur) then delete the diff.lua files if it still shows corrupted inputs and set the inputs again.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I had the same issue with hook toggling and editing diff luas helped. Try removing your diff lua temporarily and see if red lines disappear

Thanks, I tried that, but it makes no difference. It's not the same as the red lines. These are orange as per the image attached in OP.

The input files for the other planes didn't change with any of the latest patches.

It is not recommended to mod or change files under Program files/.../DCS World etc.

The orange control bindings clearly indicates a mismatch between the default.lua you put into the DCS install and the diff.lua.

The recommended repair is to do a DCS repair (that would overwrite your default.lua with the correct one from Heatblur) then delete the diff.lua files if it still shows corrupted inputs and set the inputs again.

Thanks but as I said, there is nothing in the diff.lua files relating to this button, and removing them completely makes no difference to the issue.

I wasn't talking about the latest patch re other modules. For years, I have used this mod method to adjust the senstivity of that button with other modules and have never had an issue until I tried with the Tomcat today.

There must be something else going on.

I'm not trying to do a repair, I can disable the mod in OvGME and everything goes back to normal - as it restores the original files. I am trying to get the modification working in the Tomcat as it does with all other modules.

The lines that are orange are showing that the 'joystick' default.lua and the 'keyboard' default.lua have entries referencing the same name i.e. 'Radar elevation down' but the line in the default.lua files are mismatched in some way. Often, I find it's due to different 'in-cockpit control' bindings in both default.lua files. I've seen this when a keyboard binding for a press on/press off action and a joystick binding for toggling the same action, uses different commands but the name is the same when referencing the action in game. I found this happened in the Tomcat on release. I also create my own bindings and apply them with OvGME. Sometimes the names I have used have then been used in updates so I have to make them completely original.

Hardware:

Intel i9 7920X@4.2

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid

128GB DDR4 3200

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + PENDUL_R Rudder

VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 + Base

HP Reverb Pro

The lines that are orange are showing that the 'joystick' default.lua and the 'keyboard' default.lua have entries referencing the same name i.e. 'Radar elevation down' but the line in the default.lua files are mismatched in some way. Often, I find it's due to different 'in-cockpit control' bindings in both default.lua files. I've seen this when a keyboard binding for a press on/press off action and a joystick binding for toggling the same action, uses different commands but the name is the same when referencing the action in game. I found this happened in the Tomcat on release. I also create my own bindings and apply them with OvGME. Sometimes the names I have used have then been used in updates so I have to make them completely original.

Thanks for that.

All I am changing is the 2 'value_down' entries in the attachment from 1 and -1 to 0.2 and -0.2 in the default.lua and the 'Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua' files.

Thanks for that.

All I am changing is the 2 'value_down' entries in the attachment from 1 and -1 to 0.2 and -0.2 in the default.lua and the 'Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua' files.

I usually make a "custom commands" category and use different names for commands. You may want to copy those lines, assign them to a different category and give them new names. That would deconflict things.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Hmm, so I tried what you suggest and I can see the renamed command in the custom category, and, logically, the conflict has gone. However, it is not recognised as 'Radar Elevation Up/down' just as 'Radar elevation up/down IGM' (my name), and doesn't move the radar.

It would seem if I change the value from '1' to anything else, this conflict occurs. There is something weird here. As I said, I have used this method with any issue for a long time on other modules.

I wonder if it has got anything to do with the 2 cockpit scenario in the Tomcat.

Try this...

F14B-RIO\keyboard\default.lua, l. 45f:

{ combos = {{key = 'W', reformers = {'LAlt'}}}, up = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, down = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, cockpit_device_id=devices.RADAR, value_down = [b]0.2[/b], value_up = 0, name = _('Radar elevation up'), category = _('Radar Control Panel')},
{ combos = {{key = 'S', reformers = {'LAlt'}}}, up = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, down = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, cockpit_device_id=devices.RADAR, value_down = [b]-0.2[/b], value_up = 0, name = _('Radar elevation down'), category = _('Radar Control Panel')},

F14B-RIO\joystick\default.lua, l. 47f:

{ up = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, down = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, cockpit_device_id=devices.RADAR, value_down = [b]0.2[/b], value_up = 0, name = _('Radar elevation up'), category = _('Radar Control Panel')},
{ up = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, down = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, cockpit_device_id=devices.RADAR, value_down = [b]-0.2[/b], value_up = 0, name = _('Radar elevation down'), category = _('Radar Control Panel')},

F14B-RIO\joystick\Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua, l. 35f:

{ combos={{key='JOY_BTN7'}}, up = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, down = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, cockpit_device_id=devices.RADAR, value_down = [b]0.2[/b], value_up = 0, name = _('Radar elevation up'), category = _('Radar Control Panel')},
{ combos={{key='JOY_BTN9'}}, up = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, down = device_commands.RADAR_elevation_updown, cockpit_device_id=devices.RADAR, value_down = [b]-0.2[/b], value_up = 0, name = _('Radar elevation down'), category = _('Radar Control Panel')},

The joystick\default.lua does this at the beginning:

local res2 = external_profile(f14input.."F-14B-RIO/keyboard/default.lua")
join_override(res.keyCommands, res2.keyCommands)

Seems that you definately need to make the changes to the keyboard\default.lua as well to prevent it from loading up two different instances of that. Same goes for the special config for the stick used which is the WH in your case. I didn't test this, but you definately might want to try this if you haven't already fsgrin.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Try this...

Seems that you definately need to make the changes to the keyboard\default.lua as well to prevent it from loading up two different instances of that. Same goes for the special config for the stick used which is the WH in your case. I didn't test this, but you definately might want to try this if you haven't already fsgrin.png

Interesting, changing the keyboard\default.lua file gets rid of the conflict - no more orange entries - but, the control doesn't work! The up and down are recognised in Control Setup, but just doesn't work in the game.

I suspect there is more going on in the control bindings files than DCS are letting on.

I recently had problems with orange duplicate lines in my Viggen and today they have appeared in my Harrier setup. They do not go away with repair, and I am not using any external tools or mods.

Something is slowly corrupting these files.

Filed a ticket about it and got told they do not fix things developed by third parties. Wonderful.

You can go ahead and tell them to fix the A-10C which has the same problem now.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

I have now realised that this is not just a Tomcat issue. I have a load of orange entries across quite a few modules. If I look at my stable release install, there are none. So, clearly this is a bug in the later patches that needs dealing with.

This is temporarily solved by copying the view.lua file in scripts\input from the stable to the OB, as I read in another, large thread.

• 1 month later...

Same here...

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb