New monitor issues, help?

Hi guys,

So I've finally got a new monitor (my old, emphasis on old, was truly awful), a BenQ GC2870H 28" using HDMI connection. Not incredible, but seemingly fine for my price range.

Problem is... I've started up DCS, with TrackIR, and there just seems to be this horrible blurriness on details inside the cockpit when moving my head. Dark shadowy areas or black areas in particular leave a momentary purple trail behind for a split second. Not sure if I'm being clear... but it's really disorientating and I absolutely cannot use TrackIR like this or I'll get a migraine!

Is this normal..? A problem I can fix? Or time to return the monitor?

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

GTG is 5ms on that model, so that could be it but not necessarily.

Imho, the 28" and 1080p is the root cause. Too few pixels to produce a sharp image on such a large screen. 1440p would be much better.

I hope I am wrong and you find the cause, I just doubt it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Have you gone through the options on the monitor yet? Looking at the manual, I would make sure Low Blue Light mode, Dynamic Contrast, and HDMI RGB PC Range are appropriately. Some models can change AMA mode, experiment and see if this affects your purple trail issue.

1. Check that you are running the game in native resolution of the monitor.

2. Check the monitor OSD menu for Overdrive setup, try to ramp it up.

3. Check at which refresh rate you are running. HDMI cables have bad habit of setting something like 30Hz which is awful.

4. Try to connect the monitor with display port cable.

This monitor is a VA panel, they tend to have better blacks, but also if you are unlucky and have bad panel, cause smearing and ghosting.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.