** DCS: F-14 Manual Early Access Release!! **

Cobra847

2 hours ago, Zad Fnark said:

Finally got my new machine.  Nice to max the graphics settings.  🙂

I tried the A out for the first time last week.  Launched from the cat and it immediately rolled right and into the drink.

Gotta be more careful, I guess.  Got spoiled by the B.

That's nice and all, but what does that have to do with the manual (the topic of this thread)? :huh:

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 11:11 PM, Naquaii said:

Changed DDD description under cockpit and general chapters as well as the AIM-54 description under the weapons chapter to reflect new missile ATC behavior.

@kotor633The manual is located as a pdf under the docs folder in dcs/mods/aircraft/f14.

It is not as current as the html version as the pdf build is quite a lot of work currently.

That is a wee bit of an understatement.. the date on that pdf file is ‎Monday, ‎March ‎18, ‎2019

Would it be possible to add a version number or issue date to the current manual with all changes like you're posting in this thread?

And a little nitpicking, wasn't looking for it..  really I wasn't .. 

hundreths - > hundredths, under Air-to-Air Weapons, HUD Symbology for Air-to-Air Missiles

On 1/27/2021 at 2:07 AM, GunSlingerAUS said:

Can we finally get a PDF of this bad boy now it's done?

What's done? The manual? Not at all. There's still stuff that needs to be added/changed.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, the manual is EA as the rest of the module currently.

The issue with the pdf is that, as said earlier, the buildtrain to convert the html manual to a pdf is rather involved and makes it a lot of work to update it. That said the "real" manual is the html version on our webpage and that should always be regarded as the current one, the pdf was added by request and was a lot more work than anticipated.

The plan is still to have a pdf version of the release manual though, even if the html version will be the one that continues to be the most current one even after that.

18 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

I have read in the landing procedures for both shore and carrier to bring the wing sweep back to 68 during initial approach, before selecting Auto after the break. Why is this? It seems counter intuitive to bring the wings back when you're trying to slow down.

With the wings back in delta the drag during a break is much higher thus much better for slowing down. Also when you're trimmed with wings at 68 and 350KIAS you end up trimmed closely to the on-speed later in the pattern.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

23 minutes ago, draconus said:

With the wings back in delta the drag during a break is much higher thus much better for slowing down. Also when you're trimmed with wings at 68 and 350KIAS you end up trimmed closely to the on-speed later in the pattern.

Thanks. Drag is higher with the wings back? I would think the opposite. How does that work?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

21 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Drag is higher with the wings back? I would think the opposite.

In the break only - meaning at high AoA.

Read more here:

Edited by draconus
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

16 minutes ago, draconus said:

In the break only - meaning at high AoA.

I see. I have to see how this relates to dogfighting, but I'm not there in my training quite yet. There is a more efficient wing position than fully back in high AoA maneuvers? If so, is this all taken care of when the wings are in Auto?

19 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I see. I have to see how this relates to dogfighting, but I'm not there in my training quite yet. There is a more efficient wing position than fully back in high AoA maneuvers? If so, is this all taken care of when the wings are in Auto?

In short: you always use Auto in a dogfight. The only use of wings swept back here would be for quick extending or... to deceive the enemy that you're at higher energy state 😉

Edited by draconus
  • Thanks 1

Changed threat symbology for chinese surface vessels and added the Type 71 Amphibious Transport Dock.

The symbology was changed to correspond to NATO reporting names instead of individual vessel names.

To clarify, these are currently bugged and all showing as N. This will be fixed in one of the upcoming patches.

Edited by Naquaii
  • Like 2

Hi! Do you have plans to translate F-14 manual in to russian language ?

Куплю модули : СУ-7 , СУ-9 , СУ-11,Миг-23,Миг-27 ,Ту-22М3,Ту-95,Ми-24,AH-64,F-16 ,F-4 Phantom,модуль-карту современной западной Европы

I-7 4790k (4.4GHz), GTX980 4GB , Z97, 16Gb DDR3

I just did the air-to-ground guns training, and the narrator stated that the diamond pipper used radar ranging and would remove the diamond when in guns range. However that never happened. I ended up using used the fixed pipper, which was accurate enough at close range. Is there a step that I missed? I was in AG HUD mode.

Edit - seems like the RIO needs to switch the ATTK MODE setting. I don't think this is mentioned in the training mission.

Edited by unlikely_spider

On 2/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, KAKTYC_11 said:

Hi! Do you have plans to translate F-14 manual in to russian language ?

We do not have the resources ourselves to do this but we're open to discuss it if someone is willing to take it upon themselves to do this for the community.

On 2/18/2021 at 3:56 AM, unlikely_spider said:

I just did the air-to-ground guns training, and the narrator stated that the diamond pipper used radar ranging and would remove the diamond when in guns range. However that never happened. I ended up using used the fixed pipper, which was accurate enough at close range. Is there a step that I missed? I was in AG HUD mode.

Edit - seems like the RIO needs to switch the ATTK MODE setting. I don't think this is mentioned in the training mission.

Please make a new thread for this in the forums if you feel like this is still an issue, this thread is for discussing the manual itself.

Edited by Naquaii

• IronMike unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...