Newbie need some helps

Felixcat

Hey guys I am as excited as everyone who bought this game but I am a late comer so I am not quite sure how to start with besides reading the manual. I need some advices for the hardwares which are essential to play the game.

1) PC - I am runnng a i5 quad core 16G DDR4, GTX1080Ti display card are these enough to handle the game?

2) what joystick is recommended to use ? How to set up and binding with the game?

3) VR device is Oculus Rift a good choice?

Million thanks !

1) Similar system to mine, runs ok in VR but gotta run it on potato settings really.

2) Personally I have a sim rig with VKB Gunfighter with extension and MCG grip, with a T.1600 throttle - awesome setup. Just jump in an aircraft in-game, open Options/Controls and set buttons as required.

3) I also use Oculus headset, seems to be good and I prefer it over all the others I have tried including Vive Pro. VR will only improve in time.

Once you get in the aircraft in VR you will never go back to flat screen. The newly released F-14 is awesome!

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1) Similar system to mine, runs ok in VR but gotta run it on potato settings really.

2) Personally I have a sim rig with VKB Gunfighter with extension and MCG grip, with a T.1600 throttle - awesome setup. Just jump in an aircraft in-game, open Options/Controls and set buttons as required.

3) I also use Oculus headset, seems to be good and I prefer it over all the others I have tried including Vive Pro. VR will only improve in time.

Once you get in the aircraft in VR you will never go back to flat screen. The newly released F-14 is awesome!

Thanks. Not sure where to get the VKB gunfighters, I already have the Saitek X55 Rhino is it good enough or should I buy the Thrustmaster Warthog set?

How about the rudder? What do you guys recommend?

I don’t mind to spend fair amount of money to play the game...... have been waiting half of my life to ride on a Tomcat!

Hi Felix,

Your setup will run DCS well in the rift. I have the rift and a setup nearly the same as yours (only difference is the processor) and I fly in the rift with a great experience.

I have owned the TM warthog for 6 years and it is still going strong. You may just want to open her up after a couple of years and re-grease the gimbal with marine-grade grease. You can find several videos on YouTube that document the process.

As for pedals, depends on your budget. Saitek combat pedals are good at the budget end but I don't believe they are in production anymore. TM have a very tasty looking expensive option coming out around now or in the very near future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

1. Its waay more than I'm running in VR. If anything upgrade your ram to 32gb

2. I use a TM warthog I'm just using the game mappings, not the warthog software. I'm using the cheap TM pedals, when they break I'll probably get either crosswinds or the spensive TM pedals.

3. I use a rift, but I'm waiting on either the new Rift2 or whatver they are gonna call it, or the vive cosmos. If I had to buy today with your system it would probably be a Oddesey+ (better res, no/less screen door)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks. Not sure where to get the VKB gunfighters, I already have the Saitek X55 Rhino is it good enough or should I buy the Thrustmaster Warthog set?

How about the rudder? What do you guys recommend?

I don’t mind to spend fair amount of money to play the game...... have been waiting half of my life to ride on a Tomcat!

I would say the Rhino would be more than adequate. I have had the Warthog before, twice - and sold it both times. The VKB with extension is far better IMHO, but many ppl love the TMWH.

You can find the VKB stuff at https://vkbcontrollers.com/

Gunfighter Stick - https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gunfighter-mk-ii

They are a small outfit and stock is usually limited, but if you get in touch with them and order a stick then you will be fine. Their rudders look nice and they are in the process of designing an awesome throttle also!

I forgot my rudder setup - personally I use my rig for driving as well, so have some Fanatec Clubsport pedals lol. After some sneaky double axis mapping etc I manage to use throttle as right rudder and clutch as left. Not ideal but swapping out pedals is a pain. I have had some Saitek ones before and they were great.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You guys are awesome ! I think I am now on my last 3/4 mile final approach for carrier landing and have had the ball!

So I would get additional 16G RAM for my PC and continue to use my Rhino X55.

Just a decision to make on the VR - whether to get a Oculus Rift or Samsung Odysey Plus, the Samsung one seems to be more recent, with higher resolution and have a domestic better support to me. I am leaning towards buying the Samsung one. If you guys have different opinion please let me know.

Edited by Felixcat

Hey guys, i have just bought the Odyssey + from Amazon with a good price and completed the setup.

However, I do not know how to start the game in VR mode. Every time I put on my headset the stupid Window Mixed Reality start running and I do not know where can I start the game in this app. Is the Mixed Reality necessary to run if using VR? If I close the app and start the game from desktop, the headset just doesnt turn on so no VR in game.

It may sound a dumb question, but I really need some help here, please......

Edited by Felixcat

So it seems like it was a dumb question because no one answer....:(

It took me couple days to figure out that I need to install the Mixed Reality for SteamVR to play VR. So now when I start the DCS World Beta the game will kick start the SteamVR and I can finally get into the VR enviroment. I was kinda crying when I finally got there......it is so amazing....

The learning curve of this game is so steep.....For some dumb newbies like me there should be a beginner guide to learn for game play, hardware setup, etc..... (or there is already something already exist and I am not aware?)

So it seems like it was a dumb question because no one answer....:(

It took me couple days to figure out that I need to install the Mixed Reality for SteamVR to play VR. So now when I start the DCS World Beta the game will kick start the SteamVR and I can finally get into the VR enviroment. I was kinda crying when I finally got there......it is so amazing....

The learning curve of this game is so steep.....For some dumb newbies like me there should be a beginner guide to learn for game play, hardware setup, etc..... (or there is already something already exist and I am not aware?)

Yeah it's kind of hard. Especially if you've not had the benefit of getting to grips with some older and more complete modules.

My advice is read the manual. Watch the youtube video tutorials on the F14. (There are quite a few, the best and most complete are from Jabbers).

Get familiar with the instrumentation in the cockpit. Figure out how to map your HOTAS. Make your own start-up checklist, I wrote mine on a piece of paper (lol) and finally just fly as much as possible.

Start-up. Get up in the air, fly, do touch and go's and land. Once you get comfortable with that progress with some weapon's training and employment. Get familiar with launching off the carrier, and try and land her in once piece. In that order. The F14 is not nearly as difficult as some are making it out to be, especially in the systems modeling. You will find that the more time you spend in the module, the more things will just start to "click" and get easier and more intuitive. Set up simple goals for yourself, and work towards achieving them. Don't get too ambitious with your goals or you will just be frustrated with the module and DCS. If you don't understand some procedures, look them up in the manual. If you still don't understand them, look for youtube videos that explain them in action. Most of all, just mess around and enjoy yourself. Learning a complex module like Heatblur's F14 is half the reward of DCS.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thank you very much for the advice! Yes, that becomes my daily life now, reading the manaul, watch the Youtube video and try those tutorials, I work harder than in school....

Besides those self learning things, the hardware issues are still a big problem to me. My Odyssey+ and 2080Ti cannot give me a good FPS (2x-3x in Perisan Gulf) and i am still struggle to find an optimal point. Some said in forum that it may due to the CPU issue as VR games are more demanding on CPU than GPU. I am runing on an i5 6600, so it may be a bottleneck in my system.

Today is a bad day after updating the DCS beta the game could not start.... only got a black screen regardless I turn on or off the VR... sad....Not sure it is my own problem or not.

Hows do you like your TrackIR? Maybe spending another $150 for it and stay on the monitor would be better than spending money on upgrading the CPU..... VR is nice but painful to setup.