Newbie need some helps - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Felixcat

Default Newbie need some helps

Hey guys I am as excited as everyone who bought this game but I am a late comer so I am not quite sure how to start with besides reading the manual. I need some advices for the hardwares which are essential to play the game.

1) PC - I am runnng a i5 quad core 16G DDR4, GTX1080Ti display card are these enough to handle the game?

2) what joystick is recommended to use ? How to set up and binding with the game?

3) VR device is Oculus Rift a good choice?

Million thanks !
Felixcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
VampireNZ

1) Similar system to mine, runs ok in VR but gotta run it on potato settings really.
2) Personally I have a sim rig with VKB Gunfighter with extension and MCG grip, with a T.1600 throttle - awesome setup. Just jump in an aircraft in-game, open Options/Controls and set buttons as required.
3) I also use Oculus headset, seems to be good and I prefer it over all the others I have tried including Vive Pro. VR will only improve in time.

Once you get in the aircraft in VR you will never go back to flat screen. The newly released F-14 is awesome!

Last edited by VampireNZ; 03-17-2019 at 06:10 PM.
VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Felixcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
1) Similar system to mine, runs ok in VR but gotta run it on potato settings really.
2) Personally I have a sim rig with VKB Gunfighter with extension and MCG grip, with a T.1600 throttle - awesome setup. Just jump in an aircraft in-game, open Options/Controls and set buttons as required.
3) I also use Oculus headset, seems to be good and I prefer it over all the others I have tried including Vive Pro. VR will only improve in time.

Once you get in the aircraft in VR you will never go back to flat screen. The newly released F-14 is awesome!
Thanks. Not sure where to get the VKB gunfighters, I already have the Saitek X55 Rhino is it good enough or should I buy the Thrustmaster Warthog set?

How about the rudder? What do you guys recommend?

I don’t mind to spend fair amount of money to play the game...... have been waiting half of my life to ride on a Tomcat!
Old 03-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Low Blow

Hi Felix,

Your setup will run DCS well in the rift. I have the rift and a setup nearly the same as yours (only difference is the processor) and I fly in the rift with a great experience.

I have owned the TM warthog for 6 years and it is still going strong. You may just want to open her up after a couple of years and re-grease the gimbal with marine-grade grease. You can find several videos on YouTube that document the process.

As for pedals, depends on your budget. Saitek combat pedals are good at the budget end but I don't believe they are in production anymore. TM have a very tasty looking expensive option coming out around now or in the very near future.

MMSOBGYTAST!
Low Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
rikkles

I still use my X55 Rhino and it’s perfecty fine. Don’t worry about that part.
rikkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Harlikwin

1. Its waay more than I'm running in VR. If anything upgrade your ram to 32gb
2. I use a TM warthog I'm just using the game mappings, not the warthog software. I'm using the cheap TM pedals, when they break I'll probably get either crosswinds or the spensive TM pedals.
3. I use a rift, but I'm waiting on either the new Rift2 or whatver they are gonna call it, or the vive cosmos. If I had to buy today with your system it would probably be a Oddesey+ (better res, no/less screen door)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixcat View Post
Thanks. Not sure where to get the VKB gunfighters, I already have the Saitek X55 Rhino is it good enough or should I buy the Thrustmaster Warthog set?

How about the rudder? What do you guys recommend?

I don’t mind to spend fair amount of money to play the game...... have been waiting half of my life to ride on a Tomcat!
I would say the Rhino would be more than adequate. I have had the Warthog before, twice - and sold it both times. The VKB with extension is far better IMHO, but many ppl love the TMWH.

You can find the VKB stuff at https://vkbcontrollers.com/
Gunfighter Stick - https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gunfighter-mk-ii

They are a small outfit and stock is usually limited, but if you get in touch with them and order a stick then you will be fine. Their rudders look nice and they are in the process of designing an awesome throttle also!

I forgot my rudder setup - personally I use my rig for driving as well, so have some Fanatec Clubsport pedals lol. After some sneaky double axis mapping etc I manage to use throttle as right rudder and clutch as left. Not ideal but swapping out pedals is a pain. I have had some Saitek ones before and they were great.

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 AM   #8
Felixcat

You guys are awesome ! I think I am now on my last 3/4 mile final approach for carrier landing and have had the ball!

So I would get additional 16G RAM for my PC and continue to use my Rhino X55.

Just a decision to make on the VR - whether to get a Oculus Rift or Samsung Odysey Plus, the Samsung one seems to be more recent, with higher resolution and have a domestic better support to me. I am leaning towards buying the Samsung one. If you guys have different opinion please let me know.

Last edited by Felixcat; 03-18-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Felixcat

Hey guys, i have just bought the Odyssey + from Amazon with a good price and completed the setup.

However, I do not know how to start the game in VR mode. Every time I put on my headset the stupid Window Mixed Reality start running and I do not know where can I start the game in this app. Is the Mixed Reality necessary to run if using VR? If I close the app and start the game from desktop, the headset just doesnt turn on so no VR in game.

It may sound a dumb question, but I really need some help here, please......

Last edited by Felixcat; 03-23-2019 at 06:13 AM.