Flying this has been the most frustrating experience of my life, any tips?

Gimbal

I could also post a track of how to land an F14 the absolutely wrong way, but it does work in the sim... Point Cat at wires, hope for the best... It would probably look like a giant fireball IRL....

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's easier to fly than the Hornet, just harder to point and not forgiving at all. Those DLC are so handy for correcting the descent path without upsetting your trim, i love them, they are my new favourite thing, I wish I had a wheel rather than two buttons. The pitch ladder is trying to kill me and I can't lower my seat, in VR it feels like i'm pointing down and it's taking the longest adjustment. Finding the back seat way more frustrating.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Funny, I went for a few circuits this morning (not on a carrier mind you) and found the bird incredibly stable and pretty easy to fly, like a sportscar.

The speed is mind boggling though! Had to pull way back on the throttle for low speed maneuvering.

With my rig, trackIR and a 100" diagonal projector screen, I have great situational awareness.... maybe that's the reason?

Not looking at instruments at all I was able to nail the landing on my very first try.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

So no rudder pedals... That could be part of the issue. I assume its a twisty stick?

I understand trim pedals are ideal but the aircraft shouldn't be unflyable with a twist stick. Imprecise? Sure. Unusable though? That would suck.

Well after spending my first 2 days with new "Kitty", I must admit she is beyond amazing. Besides being gorgeous inside and out, took my first dusk flight in the desert tonight (internal lighting - night Hud and VDI filter on) and WOW! Just gorgeous!

As far as flight characteristics go, quickly learned that you can't muscle her - and yank her around - the stick is not your ****. She is very predictable and communicates her moves well if you pay attention. I have found as with pushing any performance machine near the envelope - Smooth - coordinated inputs are key.

I enjoy the raw power, acceleration, climb and turn rates (spoiled now for when I go back and fly my Bug - which stands out in her own right). The standoff capability of the radar and Phoenix are fun, but today I forced myself to iron out my settings on the new ThrustMaster TPR pedals and perform guns only fights. I am hooked - correct rudder inputs along with a light touch on the stick produce great turn rates and energy efficiency which combined with my ability to kick in the overdrive and extend a bit when necessary make me understand why this bird was built and feared.

Loving every minute of it...quirks, creaks, rattles - analog and all!

I understand trim pedals are ideal but the aircraft shouldn't be unflyable with a twist stick. Imprecise? Sure. Unusable though? That would suck.

I havent used a twist stick in about 20 years so ive got no advice there. Possibly unmap the pedals from the twist or turn it off, and map them to a switch on hotas. Or put a serious curve on the twist axis. Ive found that light rudder is good most of the time but sometimes you need some solid rapid kicks too.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm having different issues making this plane so damn hard to fly. it's the forward visibility and ACM stuff. I bleed too much speed in turns etc and have a VERY tough time pointing the nose where I want it. and just when I get where I want to, I lose the plane by the time it's on my hud, which seems smaller or something.

I can fly fine in cruise, land, take off... it's just the dogfighting that's getting me. I never had so much problem DFing with a plane.

you're right that it's like a cessna. you do the wrong thing, and wing dips and you need to counter. rudder use is very important, and I'm also getting used to that.

I don't see myself having a chance against a mig 29 with this thing. I can barely kill that mig 21 lol

Edited by razorseal

I havent used a twist stick in about 20 years so ive got no advice there. Possibly unmap the pedals from the twist or turn it off, and map them to a switch on hotas. Or put a serious curve on the twist axis. Ive found that light rudder is good most of the time but sometimes you need some solid rapid kicks too.

Maybe I'll try binding it to a button or just go back to the very basics. To be honest, I'm 100% sure rudder plays a huge part in flying the Tomcat, but I've yet to even once be in a position where I think "Rudder would help.".

In basic flying I've yet to see a need to ever touch the rudder, I guess this is really incorrect? Is rudder something that's strongly used outside of ACM?

Thanks.

I personally don't fly the Cat any different than I did the Hog. Well, at least while cruising. Trim when needed, don't jerk the stick around. Nice smooth inputs until there's a point where that's no longer possible. I just did my first trap in the Cat. Not a perfect CASE 1 approach, but I got her on deck and caught the 4 wire without a whole lot of effort. It just takes practice like with any of these modules. Now if I could only get my butt coordinated when it comes to high AoA turns in combat......

Why is the rum always gone!?!?!?!

I love the F-14 and I'm certainly no stranger to DCS or flight simulation in general. I've flown many modules and high fidelity add-on aircraft throughout the years and nothing has given me as much trouble as this.

I've been doing nothing but fighting with the aircraft when it comes to controlling it, maintaining speed, altitude, etc

Maybe it's an over-reliance on modern HUDs or poor airman-ship in general but there are some very basic things I'm struggling with and just can't seem to wrap my head around despite hours of practice. I've watched a ton of videos but these are mostly on how to interpret the systems and procedures "Make sure you're at 800 feet by X" and not really "Here's the proper way to descend in a turn and maintain 800 feet".

-Getting the aircraft level is a pain, or even just descending and ascending, I'll be going down at a decent vert-speed, touch the throttle a little bit and now oh look I'm descending faster, or even climbing, or anything but what I want to do.

-The same issue for maintaining a speed, this is a little bit better but coupled with the altitude issue it's just extremely hard because if I touch my speed or even breath too hard the aircraft is going to do something I don't want it to do.

-The on-speed AOA is really confusing, maybe I'm looking at it too much from a hornet perspective, but I can't find any resources that explain it. "It says I'm slow so I'll speed up, annnd not I'm at +30 degrees."

I'm really doing my best to hang in there and doing everything I can to teach myself, but not being able to accomplish basic tasks such as holding an attitude and speed, climbing or descending and maintaining an altitude is really discouraging, much less doing these things in a turn or such.

I have no idea what I'm doing so wrong but I'm fighting on the edge of just not being able to control the aircraft sometimes. I can always get it to do generally what I want, climb, descend, increase speed or decrease speed etc, but doing any of this with accuracy is absolutely destroying me, especially with a pretty lengthy flight-sim background.

I'm enjoying the ride, but yeah, I feel your pain. I'm fighting the airplane almost every step of the way.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

Am loving the analogue nature of the aircraft, I find I am flying it much the same technique as the Spitfire in IL-2 while dogfighting. Just keeping it flowing and controlling the power!

Having no issues using the HUD elements as additional info, but will take Victory's advice and try flying her with the HUD off to get used to using the other indications. Spent a fair bit of time in the F-5 so no HUD isn't a problem, and I don't even have the Hornet so no bad habits gleaned there lol.

Interesting note about the 5 degree depressed horizon line on the HUD, once you bank over a certain amount, the zero line moves to equate to the horizon - so 'technically' it is correct when you're turning. I believe it is depressed 5 degrees when level to fit the HDG tape up there too.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As always I still have much to learn, but this Tomcat is a dream to fly. It’s so stable and smooth in the pattern - IMHO, way easier to fly from the break to landing than the Hornet. I’m thinking it rewards a light touch at slow speeds. To me, it feels the most like a real airplane of the jets in DCS along with the L39.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

A 1950s Corvair, 1960s Aston Martin or an early 70s muscle car. They had power, guzzled gas, were impressive to look at and you could feel the power as you just barely put your foot down on the gas.

On the other hand, the year 2000 ushered in a host of luxury sedans that had cushy, warm, adjustable seats, ABS braking, satellite radio, GPS on screen navigation, more reliable engine performance with computerized communications and fuel injected systems - just to name a few.

It does not mean one was better than the other or easier or harder to work with. Its just what it was at that time in history. The 50s & 60s knew nothing about the developments to come, so they worked with what they had.

The Tomcat is a 50s 60s powerhouse with no frills, no computer to think for the pilot, none of the cushy advancements in technology that you have become accustomed to in say the Hornet or the Harrier.

One is not better or harder than the other. They are what they are in their time of history.

Don't compare the Tomcat to what you know of other planes. Let it be itself, unique in history as one of the most iconic birds ever to grace the skies.

The only breakdown of the analogy is the 2000's Luxury Performance car is faster and more powerful than the 50-70's cars. I mean these days a big 4 door is knocking on 4 second or less 0-60 and they can turn.

Something like a Hornet does other things better, but it's not as fast or maneuverable.

That being said, once you learn the Tomcat, you'll be better in the Hornet.

Just a little tip for those turns and G pulls.

I must say the vibrational Jetseat has never made more sense, than with the F14. It just works soooo well combined with the excellent sound design. Never thought it was that good implemented in the Hornet. Maybe the Hornet is just too smooth, so it felt kinda fake.

But it really helps with the turns and all, especially if you crank the audio volume full.

@Gimbal: a twisty stick for rudder inputs is really no problem for the Cat - I am using my twisty X56 for the time being, since I need a new desk before I can use actual pedals, and with a very slight curve and deadzone both low speed maneuvering and ACM are no problem, with a bit of experience.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

@Gimbal: a twisty stick for rudder inputs is really no problem for the Cat - I am using my twisty X56 for the time being, since I need a new desk before I can use actual pedals, and with a very slight curve and deadzone both low speed maneuvering and ACM are no problem, with a bit of experience.

I'm really glad to hear this, Thank you. I'm going back to the basics and trying to relearn everything from the ground up. I'm hoping the influx in tutorials as time progresses will help also.

Its one of the last and the best Pure Breed. Its a Ferrari.

easy does it. get to know her....

No no. It's an AC Cobra. Or just like the last of its breed: a 2005 Ford GT. Analogue to the core.

As someone in this thread said, it's a Huey with wings. And I just love flying the Huey, it's 100% feel.

Useful tip:

You can bind DLC to a slider, go to AXIS commands and you will find a DLC option there. Bind it to a slider or a rotary and it works great! (No need to use up two buttons on your hotas)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Useful tip:

You can bind DLC to a slider, go to AXIS commands and you will find a DLC option there. Bind it to a slider or a rotary and it works great! (No need to use up two buttons on your hotas)

I'm going to bind it to my x55 throttle's thumb rotary... but can you explain how you use it?

isn't there also some DLC 4 way switch? I feel like I mapped one to my stick

I'm going to bind it to my x55 throttle's thumb rotary... but can you explain how you use it?

You only use it on landing approaches when you need more lift, or less lift. Depending on how you're doing in the groove. Basically you pop the DLC out, after your flaps and gear are down. (By using the DLC button). After that you basically use your slider or rotary if you are too low or too high in the glideslope on final approach, if you are on point with your throttle work and on a good glideslope you probably won't need to touch it, but when you are getting close to the deck and your E-bracket is too high or too low, then the DLC can really make a difference much more quickly than any throttle work.

It will save your (virtual) life ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I also bound it to the cms switch of my mcg pro grip. I followed spudknocker's hotas video. It's dlc aft and forward and dlc press. I didn't see an option for dlc four way switch but I'll have to check again.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz