F-86 Sabre campaign - WIP sneak peek - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Default F-86 Sabre campaign - WIP sneak peek

Let me give you a sneak peek into my upcoming campaign called “Hunters over the Yalu”. This is a sequel to my “Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney” campaign, but you can start with this one straight away if you like. Although the Korean war is under represented in DCS - we have a limited planeset and no map of Korea - I just love the F-86 Sabre too much. I’ve been toying with the idea of creating an immersive single player campaign for this module, thinking about how to make it interesting despite the limitations. I think I finally managed to achieve this goal.

On one hand, I split the campaign into 2 parts: at the beginning you’ll command the 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron carrying out a variety of ground attacks, then you’ll transfer to the 39th Fighter Interceptor Squadron to fly some massive fighter sweeps in MIG Alley. On the other hand, I focused more on the personal side of the story with over double the amount of voiceovers, radio broadcasts, unexpected events and other Easter eggs. Also, based on user feedback, I gave a lot more hints as to what the player is supposed to be doing, in the form of radio messages, on-screen messages, radio items, map marks, etc... I firmly believe that while playing this campaign you’ll be able to forget about flying over the Caucasus, and will feel like a part of a Sabre squadron in the spring of 1953.

Spudknocker, who runs one of my favorite DCS YouTube channels, kindly agreed to be my guinea pig, the first person to test the campaign. He made this playthrough video of mission one (minus the custom skins! ), which is kind of an intro mission - things will only get more complicated from here on. If you like it, and you’re interested in further sneak peeks, please subscribe to his channel, and bombard him with comments asking for more. The campaign is nearly finished, so stay tuned.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoty.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	217005  

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
"Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" P-51D Campaign
"Jagdflieger" Bf-109K-4 Campaign
My Music
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Squiffy

Cool!

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.
Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Just watched Spud's video, looks like a very nicely done Campaign .. tough he didn't show what the debriefing looked like

How did you managed to circumvent DCS's lack of period units? On my own missions I resort to the use of Mods, like Dol's B-29, but that route isn't feasible on paid Campaigns

Will buy it as soon as it gets finished and on the e-Shop .. wish you all the best.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 AM   #4
Reflected

Thank you Rudel!

Like I said, I started by splitting the campaign in 2 parts, serving with 2 different squadrons. The first part is ground pounding, the second part is aerial fighting. This already helps a lot with variety. 12 ground attack missions might become boring after a while, just like 12 fighter sweeps. Now you get both, and more. Then, I tried to avoid making the missions repetitive by adding lots of unexpected events, radio calls, secondary targets, or building the personality of the characters, fighting Casey Jones, etc... I can't tell you more without spoilers, but you will see Also, leading a tight formation of 24 Sabres against a large bandit train at 30k feet doesn't get boring very easily

My Music
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
splash

Very good news indeed!! First day buying from my part. I missed a new campaign for F-86.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
petritis
3rd Party Developer

Nice!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
Eviscerador

If this campaign is just half as good as the Bastards one, it is instabuy.

Since I expect it to be as good or even better, well, you have a first day buyer here.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviscerador View Post
If this campaign is just half as good as the Bastards one, it is instabuy.

Since I expect it to be as good or even better, well, you have a first day buyer here.
Well, ultimately, you will be the judge of that. But I believe it will be better. I've had many new ideas

My Music
Old 09-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
veenee

Excellent, looking forward to the release!

www.mikphotography.com
veenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
castrum8

Amazing! More Korean content (War or modern scenario) in any form is an instant buy from me.
castrum8 is offline   Reply With Quote