DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion - Page 63 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #621
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrd7105 View Post
what is the likely timeframe on an Afghanistan Map?
I think we will see both the hind and the afghan map in 2020. This is just my personal best guess.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #622
zhukov032186
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 2,347
Default

I hate making you all jealous (not), but I had a chance to crawl all over and in a Hind yesterday. Yes, I... I did it. I took selfies in the cockpit. I took several photos of the rotors, rocket pods, apu, and verrry thorough photos of the cockpit and reflector gunsight. Unfortunately the gunner position was inaccesible and appeared to be stripped anyway.

Observations:

It cannot be overstated how huge the Hind is. It's truly a massive machine. The wings are long, and they're broad, larger than some small aircraft.

The cockpit is very spacious and comfortable, and the bubble canopy provides excellent visibility to the rear and above. Looking over the left wing, I had to lean a considerable amount (due to size) but the swollen canopy provided excellent visibility. I could see almost directly behind the aircraft.

I could not see through the canopy well into the gunner position, and it was in bad shape, but I did see duplicate flight controls. I also observed in the pilot position what appeared to be a space for a TV screen, which surprised me, but the nose had some sort of large optic on the leading right edge.

The cargo hold itself, while very large, had verrrry short benches, and they only extended halfway from the back. Seating for maybe four, with their feet against the walls. I suspect this particular aircraft was modified to make the front half of the hold more useful for storage and those benches were removed.

The view forward was, as expected, restricted, and the probe was readily visible. The gunsight reflectors were in good shape and I took detailed photos of it, but it appears very similar, probably identical to the ASP-17 from the Su-25.

Despite its stripped state, the controls actuated the rotor blades and you could shift the blade angles with the cyclic. Some axises and the collective either required too much force or were locked down. The 12.7 actuated freely and made an audible electrical buzz as it moved around, though not particularly fast, It's good enough for corrections on a strafing run.

I also crawled all over a MiG-23, and a few BTRs and BMPs. I was relatively thorough with the first few, and my ''favorites'', but there were a great many displays, with variable ease of access. I'll share photos later.

I will say the MiG-23 was very tight, you practically wear it =)
__________________
Zhukov attacks *FORUM USER* with Legendary Trollsword!
*FORUM USER* Constitution save roll.... Fail!
*FORUM USER* afflicted with ''Hurt Feelz'', -1 Concentration for two rounds
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #623
Fri13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
After the release of the F-18 in open beta version, the Hind was normally the next module but....suddenly came the F-16 project.
The F-16 has not come suddenly. I would guess that ED has known to do it for last 2-3 years now, if even 4-5 years. They just don't talk about it as they have schedule etc. And why to talk when they are doing all the background work etc for everything basically.

The Mi-24 has been so long for the "here, look at this!" status, like last time was it a F-5E when Wags teased Mi-24P at side while taxiing? On the same video there was the Yak-52 as well pointed out. Don't remember but it was like 2-3 years ago already with the "What is that doing here?".

What I only know is that they are still working with all helicopters flight modeling to fix the raised new issue / adding new feature, that is complex and time consuming. So that is of course pushing releases etc forward a lot.

The Mi-24 has been probably been pushed in the line by 4-5 other modules already
__________________
i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #624
Fri13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
The cockpit is very spacious and comfortable, and the bubble canopy provides excellent visibility to the rear and above. Looking over the left wing, I had to lean a considerable amount (due to size) but the swollen canopy provided excellent visibility. I could see almost directly behind the aircraft.
That is interesting as I have not even thought that what is visibility to rear, just that to see to sides is good. And having only armored glass in the front (the flat one) and otherwise just plastic bubble, you are fairly vulnerable in those helicopters (same with Apache, AH-1 etc) for small arms fire.

I would like to know how it feels to sit in the co-pilot position at front, as that always looks to be very tight for the legs, and somewhat like you would sit at dinner table with a round window on your face.

Compared to it, the pilot cockpit must be larger.
__________________
i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #625
Fri13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post
The author writes there that the hind has CCIP capabilities for the gun and rockets as well as CCRP for bombs. But he mentions that those not very precise in the mountains (because of the lack of a laser rangefinder, I guess.
The Mi-24PK2 does have a laser rangefinder, FLIR etc. But then again that what the previous P models had? IIRC it has the laser rangefinder as it was included in the sighting system for missiles, as you need to range the target, and be able designate targets as well for Su-25
And many does tell that Mi-24V and Mi-24P had laser designators in Afghanistan.

But what comes to reason for "not very precise in the mountains" might be again about the either environmental conditions like wind etc. As you have lots of different wind conditions going on mountains that can throw trajectories off (and why you want to fly co-axial helicopter on mountains) as it can't be about the triangulate calculation of target elevation as you know the helicopter altitude, the targeting sight angle and the range, unless the sight angle measurement ain't so precise.

But those CCIP modes for the rockets and cannon are interesting things, as I have understood that they all had the fixed sight. But if it is same as the Su-25A, then it is little more clear how it is about to work.
__________________
i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #626
Fri13
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post

edit:
i guess the cross to the bottom right here is the CCIP
Attachment 216807
I would believe it is the CCRP, unless then it has the wind and range corrections in that? So you have boresight and then you have CCIP?

Quote:
Also, the Raduga-Sh system for guiding the Shturm missiles seems to be gyro stabilized (i was wondering if that was the case)
I believe that all the sights are stabilized, as the periscope they used for it was stabilized in the first place.
__________________
i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #627
Kerberos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
The Mi-24PK2 does have a laser rangefinder, FLIR etc. But then again that what the previous P models had? IIRC it has the laser rangefinder as it was included in the sighting system for missiles, as you need to range the target, and be able designate targets as well for Su-25
I think we are getting a regular Mi-24P and that one does not have a rangefinder. The Raduga sight use SACLOS guidance and does not need range information to guide the missile.





Quote:
But what comes to reason for "not very precise in the mountains" might be again about the either environmental conditions like wind etc. As you have lots of different wind conditions going on mountains that can throw trajectories off (and why you want to fly co-axial helicopter on mountains) as it can't be about the triangulate calculation of target elevation as you know the helicopter altitude, the targeting sight angle and the range, unless the sight angle measurement ain't so precise.
Since it uses basically the same sight as the SU25A, i suppose it will work similarly (without the ability to enable the laser).
The SU-25A can also do CCIP without the laser, its just not as precise. Especially in the mountains. I think thats what the author meant. He also states that the sight gets more precise when you fly high above the mountains and that is the same in the SU-25A when you are not using the laser.
Kerberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #628
Mainstay
Senior Member
 
Mainstay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Чистое Небо
Posts: 1,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
I hate making you all jealous (not), but I had a chance to crawl all over and in a Hind yesterday. Yes, I... I did it. I took selfies in the cockpit. I took several photos of the rotors, rocket pods, apu, and verrry thorough photos of the cockpit and reflector gunsight. Unfortunately the gunner position was inaccesible and appeared to be stripped anyway.

Observations:

It cannot be overstated how huge the Hind is. It's truly a massive machine. The wings are long, and they're broad, larger than some small aircraft.

The cockpit is very spacious and comfortable, and the bubble canopy provides excellent visibility to the rear and above. Looking over the left wing, I had to lean a considerable amount (due to size) but the swollen canopy provided excellent visibility. I could see almost directly behind the aircraft.

I could not see through the canopy well into the gunner position, and it was in bad shape, but I did see duplicate flight controls. I also observed in the pilot position what appeared to be a space for a TV screen, which surprised me, but the nose had some sort of large optic on the leading right edge.

The cargo hold itself, while very large, had verrrry short benches, and they only extended halfway from the back. Seating for maybe four, with their feet against the walls. I suspect this particular aircraft was modified to make the front half of the hold more useful for storage and those benches were removed.

The view forward was, as expected, restricted, and the probe was readily visible. The gunsight reflectors were in good shape and I took detailed photos of it, but it appears very similar, probably identical to the ASP-17 from the Su-25.

Despite its stripped state, the controls actuated the rotor blades and you could shift the blade angles with the cyclic. Some axises and the collective either required too much force or were locked down. The 12.7 actuated freely and made an audible electrical buzz as it moved around, though not particularly fast, It's good enough for corrections on a strafing run.

I also crawled all over a MiG-23, and a few BTRs and BMPs. I was relatively thorough with the first few, and my ''favorites'', but there were a great many displays, with variable ease of access. I'll share photos later.

I will say the MiG-23 was very tight, you practically wear it =)

Nice! I had the same experience a few years back when I was allowed to enter and observe a Czech Hind at an airshow. A few kind words and a great smile sometimes makes wonders. What a beautiful machine it is. Everytime I see that thing it still awes me by its demonic impression it leaves when coming at you.
__________________
Mainstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:02 AM   #629
VampireNZ
Senior Member
 
VampireNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,132
Default

Very much looking forward to this module! Would be epic if this was one of the default skins!
__________________
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit |
TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #630
Razorback
Member
 
Razorback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Very much looking forward to this module! Would be epic if this was one of the default skins!
+ 1

My favorite movie on my favorite war machine !!!
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.