Intermittent CTD upon pressing DATA - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
HawkEXO

Default Intermittent CTD upon pressing DATA

Hey guys! BIG fan of the Harrier.

I'm getting intermittent crash-to-desktop fails when I press the DATA key on the EHSD via left MFD. I know this was an issue in a past release, and I believe it was closed... but I'm still getting it from time-to-time. It's very intermittent (maybe 5-10% of cold starts, usually the first one of the day). One of these times I will manage to capture video of it and I will update this thread. I cannot save the track, because the client crashes to Windows before I have the opportunity.

I am running the latest BETA on Multiplayer servers.

Cold start (no waypoints loaded)- Normal Battery on then APU start-up procedure
- Engine Start
- Press EHSD on the left MFD, then DATA
- Crash to Desktop

Thanks
HawkEXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Vfa-81 Fix

Don´t fly missions that have no waypoints.
Easy fix!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
HawkEXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfa-81 Fix View Post
Easy fix!

Hoping you are joking...

I was talking about multiplayer spawns. I can't preload waypoints before spawning in Blue Flag. Wish I could.
HawkEXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Harlikwin
Veteran

I think BF loads wp0 on most planes.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Shrike88

Quote:
Easy fix!
I’m sorry but this is just a bad solution. Issue is for a module that is found on every multiplayer server, for a franchise that is gaining in popularity online. Most every map does not have preloaded waypoints for aircraft.

This issue with waypoints not being loaded and plaguing the harrier had been around for months and simply Razbam needs to address it. The Markpoint Creation workaround seems to no longer work and was a bandaid anyways. Issue is the reliance on waypoints in underlying code.

Razbam needs to address this pure and simple as targeting navigation and other issues not to mention CTD possibly as a result, but probably requires him to go back and rewrite code.

We shall see
Shrike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
Vfa-81 Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkEXO View Post
Hoping you are joking...

I was talking about multiplayer spawns. I can't preload waypoints before spawning in Blue Flag. Wish I could.
In Nepal the villagers call me 'Kin-tan-tee', which means 'man who does not joke when talking about the Harrier'.

Now, a pilot would never attempt to go flying without a flightplan, and thus your request should be tagged as [NOT REALISTIC] and go right at the bottom of the list of things to do.
As it´s not only unrealistic, but also only relevant for a very small part of the user base RAZBAM should not allocate any developer time until everything of the more important stuff is done.

Until then you may consider asking your low effort, mission making friends to add at least one waypoint so you can enjoy your gaming experience. I imagine this would only take seconds off their valuable time.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
viper2097

Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Ramsay

Quote:
Now, a pilot would never attempt to go flying without a flightplan,
Good.

Quote:
and thus your request should be tagged as [NOT REALISTIC] and go right at the bottom of the list of things to do.
A pilot creates his flight plan and enters the data, this bug prevents it and crashes DCS.
Quote:
As it´s not only unrealistic, but also only relevant for a very small part of the user base RAZBAM should not allocate any developer time until everything of the more important stuff is done.
A behaviour that causes DCS to CTD is a high priority.

The fact it doesn't cause you an issue and there is a work around, doesn't mean it should be ignored.

AFAIK a player can't know if the module will crash until they try to enter the flight plan data and it crashes, perhaps because :

• the player slot was a copy/paste from a A-10C, Hornet, etc.
• there are no waypoints because there are many objectives and players are expected to enter their own.
• it's a simple mission, the designer didn't foresee Harrier players entering waypoints, etc.

Quote:
Until then you may consider asking your low effort, mission making friends to add at least one waypoint so you can enjoy your gaming experience.
Creating a large MP mission/server and maintaining it is not "low effort", players that create such missions do a service to the DCS community.

Quote:
I imagine this would only take seconds off their valuable time.
Missions are not always build around the Harrier, a large multi-scenario MP mission may support many modules/slots. It is not up to mission creators to build their missions around the Harrier's idiosyncrasies (a module they may not even own/use).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
I think BF loads wp0 on most planes.
AFAIK, WP0 isn't sufficient for the Harrier, it requires WP1 as well, hence the issue.

Last edited by Ramsay; 09-11-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Kappa

Quote:
In Nepal the villagers call me 'Kin-tan-tee', which means 'man who does not joke when talking about the Harrier'.

Now, a pilot would never attempt to go flying without a flightplan, and thus your request should be tagged as [NOT REALISTIC] and go right at the bottom of the list of things to do.

Until then you may consider asking your low effort, mission making friends to add at least one waypoint so you can enjoy your gaming experience. I imagine this would only take seconds off their valuable time.

36° Stormo Virtuale - Italian Virtual Flight Community
www.36stormovirtuale.net
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
isotaan

I am experiencing this as well. Definitely an intermittent problem. Happened the first two times I loaded an old mission of mine.

When I loaded my mission I remember that the selected waypoint number was set to some crazy high number (20,000+) even though there were no waypoints preloaded onto the airplane. I had pressed the markpoint button then pressed DATA when I got my CTD.

This was on a MP-capable mission in SP. Various Harriers were setup as Clients but I was not playing the mission online.
isotaan is offline   Reply With Quote