VR IMPROVEMENTS - Page 12 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #111
=Buckeye=
Senior Member
 
=Buckeye='s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,163
Default VR IMPROVEMENTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cBojiOEQo&t=413s

I`ve read about issues in relation to backers still not having their hmd`s etc. and a lot of promises unfulfilled. I just would not trust them myself and will wait for the new CV2 or main players to release the next gen products. As the saying goes “act in haste, repent at leisure”. In the end it`s up to people`s own choice whether to risk it or not.

Edit- Those picks from the SO+ look quiet good, I was very close to buying one during the Black Friday reduction.


Thanks for posting, I had seen that. I found it odd that he went out of his way to make a YouTube video before ever even contacting Pimax customer service.

That said, one broken Pimax and a bunch of production delays doesn’t really tie back to your original claim of “a number of quality issues with Pimax.” That’s one QC issue and a number of production issues.

Also, interesting read for you here: https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/apology-...campaign/12420

Delays in backers receiving units, despite greatly improved production rates, are due directly to a commitment to proper QA. They’ve ramped production staffing up and are struggling to do the same with the QA staff, but in order to maintain their standards, they are allowing it to be a bottleneck as they work to increase QA staffing. Pretty commendably in my opinion.

Not interested in an argument, I just think Pimax gets a bad rap in some cases when people misspeak.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
VR Cockpit (link):
Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:
Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Last edited by =Buckeye=; 01-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #112
Harlikwin
Veteran
 
Harlikwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Living rent free in your mind
Posts: 3,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikeeagle345 View Post
I have used the Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, OG Odyssey. The odyssey+ is better than all of them. I have 0 screen door effect but can see the pixel texture if stare very hard at the sky, but that is a given with the current VR screen resolution limitations. I have a better picture out of the O+ than I did with the other headsets.



Thats damn impressive. Doubly so on a 1070.
__________________
New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 AM   #113
aaron886
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikeeagle345 View Post
I have used the Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, OG Odyssey. The odyssey+ is better than all of them. I have 0 screen door effect but can see the pixel texture if stare very hard at the sky, but that is a given with the current VR screen resolution limitations. I have a better picture out of the O+ than I did with the other headsets. ]
Great pictures, thank you very much! What is your opinion of the tracking and comfort, then? I've heard the image quality is better, but does the Rift make up for what it lacks in image with comfort and tracking?
aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #114
walleye62
Member
 
walleye62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nevada
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron886 View Post
Great pictures, thank you very much! What is your opinion of the tracking and comfort, then? I've heard the image quality is better, but does the Rift make up for what it lacks in image with comfort and tracking?
This is my personal experience. I can't speak for others. So In DCS i get a weird blurriness or ghosting issuing. It's not when I move my head though (so I don't think it's a tracking issue) but happens when I roll or pitch the plane. It's not terrible but a slight annoyance. However, it's just DCS it does this in. I play IL2 and Warthunder in VR and I don't have that issue at all. This happened in the old Odyssey as wll as the new one

As for comfort, I would say it's about the same as the RIFT(maybe a little better). I had the Rift and the first Samsung Odyssey and the first Odyssey was very comfortable. I never thought the rift was very comfortable. The new Odyssey plus has taken a little time to get used to after using the older Odyssey(it was stupid comfortable ) Ther is different material on the new one and to me, it's was not quite as soft as the old one. It took time to break it in. It's pretty comfortable to me now. I have had it since the end of November.

But like I said, others may have a different experience. Hope that helps.
__________________

Only civies call it a "bug"

Last edited by walleye62; 01-13-2019 at 12:26 PM.
walleye62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #115
imacken
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 3,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye62 View Post
This is my personal experience. I can't speak for others. So In DCS i get a weird blurriness or ghosting issuing. It's not when I move my head though (so I don't think it's a tracking issue) but happens when I roll or pitch the plane. It's not terrible but a slight annoyance. However, it's just DCS it does this in. I play IL2 and Warthunder in VR and I don't have that issue at all. This happened in the old Odyssey as wll as the new one
Almost certainly because you have Motion Smoothing (or ASW) switched off.
__________________
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #116
Zoomer
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Munster, Ireland
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Buckeye= View Post
Thanks for posting, I had seen that. I found it odd that he went out of his way to make a YouTube video before ever even contacting Pimax customer service.

That said, one broken Pimax and a bunch of production delays doesn’t really tie back to your original claim of “a number of quality issues with Pimax.” That’s one QC issue and a number of production issues.

Also, interesting read for you here: https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/apology-...campaign/12420

Delays in backers receiving units, despite greatly improved production rates, are due directly to a commitment to proper QA. They’ve ramped production staffing up and are struggling to do the same with the QA staff, but in order to maintain their standards, they are allowing it to be a bottleneck as they work to increase QA staffing. Pretty commendably in my opinion.

Not interested in an argument, I just think Pimax gets a bad rap in some cases when people misspeak.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With Pimax I have my reservations, but each to their own. It`s a lot of money for the Pimax for what looks like a seat of the pants operation. Personally I would rather deal with a company where I have the guarantee of a proper replacement in the case of a dud, and where the build quality and software capabilities would be to a higher standard. Hence I`ll wait for gen 2, those that wish to take the gamble with their money will do so. My instinct at the minute tells me to stay clear of them.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #117
walleye62
Member
 
walleye62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nevada
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Almost certainly because you have Motion Smoothing (or ASW) switched off.
No, I wish that were the case though..haha

In steam/WMR it's asynchronous reprojection and it's on and doesn't have any effect on DCS. Like I said there is no issue with other VR apps, just DCS. I even tried a combination of asynchronous reprojection and interleaved reprojection still no effect on DCS.
__________________

Only civies call it a "bug"
walleye62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #118
dburne
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye62 View Post
No, I wish that were the case though..haha

In steam/WMR it's asynchronous reprojection and it's on and doesn't have any effect on DCS. Like I said there is no issue with other VR apps, just DCS. I even tried a combination of asynchronous reprojection and interleaved reprojection still no effect on DCS.
With my Rift, I fly with ASW off so I do not get that ghosting/blurriness as planes fly by.
__________________
Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #119
imacken
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 3,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye62 View Post
No, I wish that were the case though..haha

In steam/WMR it's asynchronous reprojection and it's on and doesn't have any effect on DCS. Like I said there is no issue with other VR apps, just DCS. I even tried a combination of asynchronous reprojection and interleaved reprojection still no effect on DCS.
Not sure it's the same thing. Those re-projection settings are available in SteamVR for Vive Pro as well, and they don't seem to do the same thing as Motion Smoothing.
If I have MS off, and if I move my head left/right (not turn head, but move it) there is horrible ghosting on instrument panels especially. The best example is the range indicator on the Spit panel. Also, doing a roll gives a ghosting effect as well. Looking at any text at the top of the screen is the same, distorted and swirly in a roll. Just as you describe.
In my opinion, MS is a real boon to VR as especially at lower fps, it does produce smooth fps.
The only down side I can see, is the horrible effect it has on certain prop planes, especially the Spitfire, where the swirly gunsight and propellers are unbearable to watch!
__________________
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #120
Strikeeagle345
Senior Member
 
Strikeeagle345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron886 View Post
Great pictures, thank you very much! What is your opinion of the tracking and comfort, then? I've heard the image quality is better, but does the Rift make up for what it lacks in image with comfort and tracking?
Well, I have a big head, so it fits me just fine. I can see why it might bother some. It is not as comfortable as say the RIFT but its fine for me.

Tracking is fine as long as you have plenty of light. Also, if you have any blank walls near by, you will need to put something on it as it will likely lose tracking when you look at it. I just took a few post-it notes, drew some X's on them in Sharpie and stuck it to the wall. Solved the issue.
__________________

Strike
C.O. VF-41
vCVW-11
www.vcvw-11.com


i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 1070 | Samsung SSD | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | HOTAS Warthog
Strikeeagle345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vr improvements

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.