Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

I just saw a youtube where this guy charles darwin developed a VA profile that reads off the a10c startup checklist. then for each item he says 'check' and it says out the next time. OMG. really impressive. it's like having an instructor or copilot with you and sounding off the list while you check all the switches and levers. this is way cooler than calling up the kneeboard and reading it then checking the switches. i'm not sure if he's done with its development or how he plans to share it or sell it.

That sounds reasonably straightforward to do, if a little long winded to accomplish.

Sure gladly share the profile, let me edit it some and write instructions on how to taylor it to your individual needs for additional pages etc:

Post up if there is anything that you don't like. I could see people getting annoyed with the voice feedback. The reason it's there, if the kneeboard is hidden you are never sure if the command has exectued or not. So I put in an "In Progress" The idea of the page number feedback is just to inform how many sheets there are for a particular function (the numbering is purely arbitary)

Here is clip of it in action, I need to adjust my keyboard repeat rate to stop it skipping pages and getting outta whack, but it should work reasonably well

Sorry the clip so long and amateurish, just jump to 2:45 to see it working and forgive me for forgetting some of my own commands :clown_2:

@weegie, for the location of each airfield in the kneeboard, did you tell VA to jump to a page number, or you go by increment +/-?

I see you have to do a reset first, ie. ground 0 to know where to start. So that sounds more like an increment approach. ie. how many pages to go forward or backward for each airfield.

Hi

First Yes the reset simply tells an integer constant that it's at the starting point, in effect a counter in VA. You can make that any place on the kneeboard you want. I made it on the Schematic map as Kneeboard builder adds custom charts before the VAD & Gnd Charts so if you add custom pages you only need to change them not all the VAD Gnd chart pages.

Next each individual command knows it's own page number. When you call out for an airfield then it knows it has to go to certain page. The integer constant that is reset at the begining acts as a tracker so VA knows what page it is on at any time.

When you call out an airrfield VA looks at where it is and where it needs to go. It then runs a loop incrementing up or down until the page number matches the integer constant in the counter......SIMPLES

I also added in the "[" "']" commands to the counter too. So if you don't use VA but the keyboard instead, then the counter is decremented or incremented accordingly

Any use? You still want it?

yes please!

i know how to call VA to display kneeboard, which will default to the waypoint maps of about 5 pages. After that will be my custom upload pages. But i don't know what command to make it display a specific page of the kneeboard.

i'm working on a profile for VA to sound off various checklists. I got this idea from that youtube by charles darwin. then i found a boeing 777 profile that does this. i managed to modify it for my a10c. when it's more finalized i'd share it. I feel that this is even better than looking at a virtual kneeboard in VR, coz the kneeboard i have i made it big and covers much of the front console. when doing startup or landing steps i have to toggle kneeboard on and off when i need to see front console. using VA to sound off the steps and i say check or done is faster and feels more immersive, like having a smart AI copilot.

and i love the chatter feature of viacom that pops up randomly on left or right ear. and the various F keys displays and respawn, reload, center VR, labels, time accelerate etc. that VA can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so what am I doing wrong here?

- Downloaded and extracted to c:\games\dcs-kneeboard-builder

- Ran KneeboardBuilder.exe

- Set Install directory: "OpenBeta"

"C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta"

- Saved games directory: "C:\Users\RoyMi6\Saved Games"

- Left defaults for everything else

All I want to do is add a single PNG image for the kneeboard in the F14

- Clicked on "create custom kneeboard"

- Select Aircraft (F14)

- Created a new group: "TESTGROUP"

- Clicked modify on my "TESTGROUP"

- Clicked on "import images"

- Selected my 400px X 500px png file, it appears fine, then clicked "save"

- Moved my group from available to "groups selected for custom kneeboard"

- Clicked "build custom kneeboard for 14"

That seems to work fine.

If I go to the top menu and select "View -> Kneeboard Folders -> F14 Kneeboard"

That brings up: C:\Users\RoyMi6\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\F14

That folder contains my 001-TESTGROUP-001.png

Soooooooo I think that's everything?... But... when I bring up the kneeboard in the F14 it isn't visible... (instant action -> free flight)

What am I missing?

Edited by RoyMi6

If I go to the top menu and select "View -> Kneeboard Folders -> F14 Kneeboard"

That brings up: C:\Users\RoyMi6\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\F14

That folder contains my 001-TESTGROUP-001.png

Soooooooo I think that's everything?... But... when I bring up the kneeboard in the F14 it isn't visible... (instant action -> free flight)

What am I missing?

Kneeboard Builder is a bit outdated and the F-14 is a new aircraft of DCS .. The folder name is incorrect .. copy it using Windows, it should be:

C:\Users\RoyMi6\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\F-14B

dont delete the previous "F14" folder, as Kneeboard Builder will keep using it on the future. If you generate a new Kneeboard for the Tomcat, you will have to repeat the copy.

On the other hand, the purpose of KB is converting multipage PDF files onto a set of graphics files for DCS to use ... if you already have a graphic file that you want to put on the Kneeboard, like your PNG file, just copy it there and DCS will see it right away, no need to use KB for that case.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

This excellent kneeboard builder inserts a few dcs maps, then lets you add custom pages in whatever order you wish. Weegie has shown above that it is possible to then use VA to ask to jump to a desired airfield chart. But I discovered that the number of dcs inserted maps varies from mission to mission. Most of the time it adds 5 maps for me. Sometimes 7, or 8 etc.

Before we use weegie's example to jump to certain VAD chart, we have to move to the schematic map page and execute a reset charts command. If we don't manually page forward our way there and want VA to jump a certain number of pages to get there, the number of pages to jump forward is complicated by not knowing how many map pages dcs will insert for that mission up front. Sure, we can manually page through the dcs maps to count. then tell VA how many pages to jump accordingly. But if we can capture how many pages dcs will insert for that mission, we can use that variable in the VA profile.

Anyone has any idea if there is a feature to capture the number of dcs maps inserted after mission launch and save that to a variable to be used in VA?

Version 1.8.0.0 Released

Version 1.8.0.0 is now available.

-New aircraft modules will now automatically work with KBB without needing the developer to put out an update (this fixes the F-14 kneeboard being built to the wrong kneeboard folder)

-3rd Party Modules loaded from Saved Games/Mods/Aircraft should automatically work with KBB

-In 'Create Custom Kneeboard' window added ability to select variant of aircraft (ie L-39C or L-39Z) and the default or custom kneeboard (if available for the selected aircraft)

-Added ability to open both the custom kneeboard and default kneeboard locations from 'View -> Kneeboard Folders' (if available for the selected aircraft)

-Aircraft manual links (View -> Aircraft) now working for all aircraft

-Other minor fixes

Version 1.8.0.0 is now available.

-New aircraft modules will now automatically work with KBB without needing the developer to put out an update (this fixes the F-14 kneeboard being built to the wrong kneeboard folder)

-3rd Party Modules loaded from Saved Games/Mods/Aircraft should automatically work with KBB

-In 'Create Custom Kneeboard' window added ability to select variant of aircraft (ie L-39C or L-39Z) and the default or custom kneeboard (if available for the selected aircraft)

-Added ability to open both the custom kneeboard and default kneeboard locations from 'View -> Kneeboard Folders' (if available for the selected aircraft)

-Aircraft manual links (View -> Aircraft) now working for all aircraft

-Other minor fixes

Thx mate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

S.O: Win 64bit

MB: ASUSTek TUF GAMING X570P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8 Core

GPU: nVidia GTX1080Ti 8GB

HD: Sabrent SSD 1TB

RAM: DDR4 32 GB 1600Mhz

Accessories: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Alim: 850 watt Corsair 850TXEU

getting massive error messages with latest update. Something to do with the F14 which I do not have.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Will do so in the morning.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

1.8.0.1 crash message;

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'F:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AJS37\entry.lua'.
File name: 'F:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AJS37\entry.lua'
  at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
  at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
  at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
  at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding)
  at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllLines(String path, Encoding encoding)
  at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.GetKneeboardName(String dir)
  at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.LoadAircraftData()
  at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()
  at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()
  at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
---------------------------
OK   

I don't have the Viggen, so the folder is empty.

(JTF-1) Yomo | 55th FS

JTF-1 Discord

Asus Prime Z370 MB // Intel i7 8086k @ 5GHz // 32GB DDR4 3200 // RTX 2080ti // Virpil FSSB3 Lighting, Cougar Throttle with USB mod, T-50 Base + Warthog HOTAS, custom collective // Thrustmaster TPR // Vipergear v2 ICP // 3xCougar MFDs // a bunch of DIY Button Boxes // Oculus Rift

THIS IS THE ERROR MESSAGE I RECEIVED-NOTE, I DO NOT HAVE THE F14 MODULE

The developer must be a moron because there was an error! [NOTE: THIS LINE WAS IN THE ERROR MESSAGE-NOT FROM ME.

Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'F:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\entry.lua'.

File name: 'F:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\entry.lua'

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding)

at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllLines(String path, Encoding encoding)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.GetKneeboardName(String dir)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.LoadAircraftData()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()

OK

I don't see the KBB icon in the SysTray. Is there a new/different way to set the Kneeboard Profile?

And when I minimize the KBB main window, the icon in the Taskbar disappears, and the program is gone. It should just minimize, correct?

Snacko

PS: in the Preferences, what does 'Enable user mods aircraft' do exactly? I don't see it in the Help pdf.

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I agree with Snacko's comments on the taskbar icon not being there

I don't see the KBB icon in the SysTray. Is there a new/different way to set the Kneeboard Profile?

And when I minimize the KBB main window, the icon in the Taskbar disappears, and the program is gone. It should just minimize, correct?

Snacko

PS: in the Preferences, what does 'Enable user mods aircraft' do exactly? I don't see it in the Help pdf.

I agree with Snacko's comments on the taskbar icon not being there

Is KBB still visible in the task manager? If not, can you check your windows event logs for any errors related to KBB? It might be crashing silently.

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.get_IsReadOnlyView()

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.UpdateReadOnly()

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.InitializeQueryNode(FileInfo fileInfo)

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.AddSubNodes(DirectoryInfo dir, EventNodeType nodeType, Boolean userQuery, String standardViewConfig)

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.AddSavedQueryNodes()

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.CreateChildNodes()

at Microsoft.EventViewer.SnapIn.MMCEventsNode.ExpandNode()

at Microsoft.EventViewer.SnapIn.MMCEventsNode.OnExpandFromLoad(SyncStatus status)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.NodeSyncManager.ProcessRequest(NodeRequestInfo info, IRequestStatus requestStatus)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.SnapIn.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)