Setting realistic expectations for the Hornet - Page 22 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #211
neofightr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Hi neofighter

Lately we see a lot this kind of load configuration on US Navy Hornet and Super Hornet:

I assume this is to clear the targeting pod line of sight, especially doing the "wheel" around the target during CAS missions.

Did you use this kind of configuration during your time ?
How does the Hornet handle ?
For instance the Mirage 2000 has yaw auto-trim but the pilot needs to manually trim in roll (or use the auto-pilot to trim)

On the other hand, non carrier-based users seem to use the targeting pod on center line station (Marines, Australian...).

Why the US Navy doesn't use this station to load the targeting pod or any weapon by the way?

Thanks
Those configurations were after my time. I never had to deal with that type of asymmetric load (assuming the weapons were launched). The FCS should have no problem adjusting for that aero load but I suspect landings were done at half-flaps to keep more airflow over the airframe for better controlability.

Typically the models that go out to other non-navy entities have custom wiring done with agreements established before delivery.
neofightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 AM   #212
SDsc0rch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Hi neofighter ... Why the US Navy doesn't use this station to load the targeting pod or any weapon by the way?
Thanks
my understanding is the centerline station was never cleared for carrier landings with ordnance - just drop tanks

SDsc0rch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #213
QuiGon
Veteran

Hey neofighter,

many thanks for sharing your experiences with us. This thread is a great one to read!

I've got a question about night operations on a carrier: Do landings at night always happen with lights on on the flight deck or are there situations where lights have to be completly turned off? And what about NVGs, are they ever used for landings?
I guess the answer to both questions is no, but I want to make sure

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #214
neofightr

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Hey neofighter,

many thanks for sharing your experiences with us. This thread is a great one to read!

I've got a question about night operations on a carrier: Do landings at night always happen with lights on on the flight deck or are there situations where lights have to be completly turned off? And what about NVGs, are they ever used for landings?
I guess the answer to both questions is no, but I want to make sure
My knowledge is dated by 20 years but for safety reasons there are always lights on the flight deck but they are low intensity for many obvious reasons.

NVGs don't work for landings because you lose your depth perception which is important for landing. Plus they would wash out with the deck lights.

For those that wonder if a carrier would be more stealthy with lights out, not really because radar and sonar detection would expose a carrier long before flight deck lights would.
neofightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #215
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofightr View Post
My knowledge is dated by 20 years but for safety reasons there are always lights on the flight deck but they are low intensity for many obvious reasons.

NVGs don't work for landings because you lose your depth perception which is important for landing. Plus they would wash out with the deck lights.
That's what I thought, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofightr View Post
For those that wonder if a carrier would be more stealthy with lights out, not really because radar and sonar detection would expose a carrier long before flight deck lights would.
Indeed, I can't think of a plausible scenario (including satellite based reconnaissance) where this wouldn't be the case nowadays.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote