Game Avionics

Blizz003

just got through the guns and rockets training...

perhaps sim avionics is not as difficult as previously assumed?

i know how dumb bombs work so the next mission shouldnt be too hard...

but its the GBUs and MAVs that make this plane as kickass as it is so we'll see how those go...

and I hate to say I was wrong, but it seems the way they (ED) have game avionics set up doesn't quite work properly so i guess i'm gonna learn to fly an actual hog. i wonder what the correlation is between competence in this game (ed. SIM, sorry lol) and exam marks..?

At the moment you know how to use TGP and Maverick cam ( slew, TMS UP etc ... make SPI... ) Using maverick ( with default setup ) is easy, release a GBU38 too... then you will start learn more.. (CDU, markpoint, DSMS configuration etc etc ) ... do it at your rythm.

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

I actually get the OP's point. I fly a 737 for a living (get the PMDG NGX for FSX if you want that, it's good). Flying the A10, and getting it started, is easy, and along the same lines. But, I'm finding I couldn't be arsed to read the manual on that shockingly painful nav system (what where they thinking?!), nor learning how to program the DSMS to be be able to control my CBU's RPM or HOF (etc etc etc X 10000). So, the OP asks a valid question, then gets a whole bunch of answers telling him he's 'playing it wrong' and to sit down and study? Lol. OP, you can get a 'limited' A10 license, like me. :) I can use a Mav, the TGP (mostly) drop a dumb, unguided bomb, use rockets and the cannon. That's easy enough. One day I'll study some more :) Maybe I could get a laser guided bomb off the rails if I had enough time to hang around and fiddle with some buttons.

I actually did at some stage know a lot more than this, and did read the manual cover to cover. But I find this sim is so detailed, you actually lose 'currency' if you don't play it all the time (which I don't - too many other good things to play). I have to check myself out in each system every time I get back into it (except the basics), plus each time it gets patched a few subtle details often change, and sometimes it all seems like work frankly :) That said, I will always keep it in 'sim' mode all round - if I want to blow stuff up, I always want to do it as per the real deal. Like I said, I have a 'limited' A10 license :)

So, the OP asks a valid question, then gets a whole bunch of answers telling him he's 'playing it wrong' and to sit down and study? Lol. OP, you can get a 'limited' A10 license, like me. :) I can use a Mav, the TGP (mostly) drop a dumb, unguided bomb, use rockets and the cannon. That's easy enough.

Your point is exactly why he was told he's playing it wrong. He didn't ask how to do those things, he asked how to do those things in "game mode", which for a study sim like A-10C is essentially "wrong". :) As you pointed out, weapons systems are very easy to employ and the posts were telling him that.

As long as you know how to fly the systems are a snap to learn. Just have to get the concept of how to set the SPI then the steps to target SPI with whatever system and you're golden.

Glad you're both enjoying things. :)

to OP:

go play Hawx!

DCS is made for people who actually enjoy the high fidelity :book: :smartass:

Did you actually read the whole thread! :doh:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

HAWX wasn't bad.... But comparing it to A10 is like comparing GTA to something like ARMA2. Not really in the same category...

I'm glad the real pilot got what I've been trying to express... Though I do have a sim avionics question... When the JTAC directs me to a target do they also send a SPI? Generally I'm having trouble spotting my targets.... Ill orbit the target area for a half hour searching around the target waypoint with my TGP till I finally find something but its a tank when I want arty..... Or something along those lines... So yeah, is there a way to receive target data from other sources? How? I wanna help out those jtac fellows but I can't find their targets...

i7 860 @ 2.8GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5700, SSD, X52

When you recieve datalink tgt press OSB 18 (I think it's around there) that says WILCO on the TAD page. That should set the red triangle (target) as your SPI. If that doesn't work set TAD as SOI. Move the cursor with the slew control to the red triangle and press TMS up SHORT and then TMS UP LONG to hook it and set SPI.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Thanks! That was an insanely fast reply! I figured it was as simple as such. Does this jet not have a traditional radar? Do I really have to slew to each new target? and how would one lock multiple targets to explode with say mavericks at the same time?

No radar on the A-10. To blow up multiple targets using JDAMS or Mav's in one pass you use markpoints. Pick a vehicle, lase it and then TMS right short to set a markpoint. Then look below the CDU and turn the left dial to mark. Cycle through your markpoints using the UFC steerswitch, as you select a markpoint that becomes your SPI. Slew a mav to each point, TMS up short to lock and fire away and "wait for the big gooey explosion" I can make a track if you want.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Quote to Original post:

This is a high fidelity sim and to cramp years of learning into one button - one hour is just not going to happen.....even if you are Einstein.

And many still (including myself) are trying to master more than one plane.

To think I will master a Russian helicopter and a ground attack plane is pushing it HARD! ;)

So here is the deal.

1. it takes hours even days to learn. Real pilots - years.

2. It takes skill and understanding.

3. personal understanding and soul searching. (can I do this and do I have the time).

So should you actually ask yourself.."do i want to do this?"

Nothing wrong in my book saying "too complex for me"

Basically we are in the realm where fun for fun sake is not in the sim part of this game.(had to use the word game to make that one work:D)

So shooting at the DCs A-10 as being wrong, is IMO not right.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No radar on the A-10. To blow up multiple targets using JDAMS or Mav's in one pass you use markpoints. Pick a vehicle, lase it and then TMS right short to set a markpoint. Then look below the CDU and turn the left dial to mark. Cycle through your markpoints using the UFC steerswitch, as you select a markpoint that becomes your SPI. Slew a mav to each point, TMS up short to lock and fire away and "wait for the big gooey explosion" I can make a track if you want.

Unecessarily complex procedure:

1) You do not need to turn the CDU dial. Just hit FUNC then MARK on the UFC.

2) No need to cycle markpoints with UFC Steerswitch, just use DMS up/down on your stick.

Also slave all to SPI. Then you're set. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It doesn't take them years to learn to operate the aircraft. That's the easy part.

It takes them years to learn to fly, fly the air force way, and fly tactics. Guess what most vPilots don't know how to do.

The avionics? Easy peasy.

1. it takes hours even days to learn. Real pilots - years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It doesn't take them years to learn to operate the aircraft. That's the easy part.

It takes them years to learn to fly, fly the air force way, and fly tactics. Guess what most vPilots don't know how to do.

The avionics? Easy peasy.

Meant the sim as a hole.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wrong? Only thing wrong is game mode... , I'm not trying to hate on this sim. I'll be playing it at least until the next dcs game (erg sim!) Comes out... Before black sharki don't even remember the last real combat flight sim... Falcon I guess? Last thing I mastered was janesF18... I want mfcds and the hotas a10 joystick...

Once you get the avionics down in the A-10C anyway, any other aircraft released should be either similar or less complex, so the knowledge carries over. The exact button switches you need to use and exactly what they do may change a bit, but you'll be able to cope easily enough because generally they perform similar functions with similar purpose.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Best advice anyone can give to someone getting started is go watch videos on Youtube its amazing how quickly you'll learn, The basics are not at all that hard just takes time and a bit of dedication. You bought a full fledged Flight Sim one of the best and sadly one of very very few that doesn't cost thousands. Enjoy it.

Win7 x64, I7-950 HD 5800 ThrustMaster Hotas WartHog, IRTracker 5, ThrustMaster Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, MFD Couger V2