Nose wheel steering getting stuck in place, how to overcome?

SC86

I can pilot the F86 fine, just sometimes I get my nose wheel stuck in a position in place, usually just off straight. I know that I'm supposed to hold the S\nosewheel steering button until im straight, and I know how to turn. I know that the Emergency fuel switch will lock it in place usually and you're not supposed to test this until lined up on the runway, though the wheel can lock without using this switch.

So, why does it cease up, and how can I unlock it? Thanks

The F-86 doesnt have nosewheel steering, you have to use differential braking.

Edit: Sorry, it seems that I'm confusing it with the MiG-15 as it has been a good while since the last time I flew the Sabre :(

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You have to press the NSW button and then "find" the position at which the nose wheel was left at, with the rudder, until it re-engages.

You can try to:

1. Press NSW button

2. Go full rudder on the side where the wheel is pointing, and slowly recenter the rudder.

The wheel shoul dre-engage and you're good to go. But don't rush it and don't ever release the button, lol.

IIRC if you let the engine RPM drop too low the NSW will get disconnected also, so keep a little power during the turns.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

If what bkthunder said doesn't seem to work and you are stuck in a turn, you should use the differential braking after all. It's possible for the nosewheel to rotate 'out of the steering range', either by using the differential brakes to turn in the first place, or during turn in which you steer close to the limit.

I’m looking over the documentation trying to find something, but anecdotally I’ve seen a connection between loss of steering and idle engine RPM. My suspicion is that if you are getting the generator warning that sufficient electrical power isn’t making it to the utility hydraulic systems. When I’ve managed to avoid spending a lot of time at idle I seemed to have fewer instances of stuck nosewheels.

you could try the taxiing training mission which will explain the NWS. though if you cant be bothered...If your wheel is locked left, turn your rudder that direction then engage NWS button, turn rudder slowly back to centre and this should catch the wheel and bring it back around for you, keep button pressed until finished taxiing.

From Chuck's F-86 guide, page 43:

"Note The nose wheel steering system will not engage if the nose wheel is more than 21 to either side of center. Should the nose wheel be turned more than this, it must be brought into the steering range by use of the wheel brakes When the nose wheel steering activation button on the control stick is released, the nosewheel steering system starts to work as a shimmy damper and the nose wheel goes to the self castering mode."

Windows 7 Professional x64, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB,

Intel Xeon W5650(i7) @ 4.1ghz, Asus P6TWS motherboard, 24gb DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Hybrid joystick(Base: Saitek X55 - Grip:CH Fighterstick), Saitek X55 throttle, Saitek ruder pedals.

• 4 weeks later...