Advice for New F/A-18 Pilot

Jack Summers

Looking for some advice as I try to get into flying the F/A-18C.

First, is the version currently released the final, completed version or still part of the early release version? If not the final version, when is that expected?

Second, where do I find the full manual for this aircraft module? I found the early release manual, but that's all so far.

Third, any advice for making my HOTAS set-up work? I have the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X and it doesn't work well on this aircraft. It works well for the F-15C module, but not the F/A-18C. Thrust is not responsive to the throttle and the buttons won't hold the assigned bindings.

Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated!

Part of EA. Not sure when final release is expected, but I guess not too long, a few more months I guesstimate (althought that depends on how patient you are). :)

Full manual is located in C:\<location DCS folder>\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Doc. Manual is updated after new features are implemented. So it's an EA manual sort of.

No clue about your third question, sorry. I have a different HOTAS.

Still very early access. Only the EA manual is released as well.

HOTAS advice, define of your HOTAS buttons as a "shift" button, so that when you hold it down all your other buttons have a second function, effectively doubling the number of buttons on your hotas.

Also go into you controls page, axis settings and clear every single thing in there. Then re-assign all your axis. Sometimes the default axis assignments are down right crazy and you get weird behavior.

Other than that, TAKE IT SLOW, learn the basics of flight and navigation first. Then pick a system at a time and learn it well before moving on.

Looking for some advice as I try to get into flying the F/A-18C.

First, is the version currently released the final, completed version or still part of the early release version? If not the final version, when is that expected?

Start with the basics. Start-up, takeoff, landing, AAR, General purpose (unguided) weapon deliver, Guided weapon deliver, BFM, BVR, etc...

Take one topic and work on it until you feel you have a good grasp of how to perform said task.

*EDIT*

There are a lot of youtube videos out there that can provide an introduction into the ins and outs of how to anything you want in the Hornet. The training missions are also really well done and there are a lot of them.

Second, where do I find the full manual for this aircraft module? I found the early release manual, but that's all so far.
Early release manual is all there is at this time. Wags had mentioned, in another thread, that an update is coming with details on features that have been added.

Third, any advice for making my HOTAS set-up work? I have the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X and it doesn't work well on this aircraft. It works well for the F-15C module, but not the F/A-18C. Thrust is not responsive to the throttle and the buttons won't hold the assigned bindings.

I don't own that stick, so I cannot comment on the issues you are having.

I would encourage you to be sure that you don't have multiple buttons or axis assigned to different inputs. That is typically what trips up most new pilots.

If that is not the case, then hopefully someone with that stick can chime in and be of better assistance for you.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Part of EA. Not sure when final release is expected, but I guess not too long, a few more months I guesstimate (althought that depends on how patient you are). :)

Full manual is located in C:\<location DCS folder>\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Doc. Manual is updated after new features are implemented. So it's an EA manual sort of.

No clue about your third question, sorry. I have a different HOTAS.

I'd say another year in EA. There is a metric butt ton of details not integrated yet.

I started flying the hornet in that, it's a bit of a bear, and I since upgraded my stick to a used CH Fighterstick for more Hats, but here's what I did.

On the throttle, bind the two index finger buttons to BOTH be modifier keys. This way you can get the four hat switches needed to fly.

Hat = Trim

top modifier + Hat = AA Weapon Select

Bottom modifier + Hat = TDC control (With Bottom Modifier+R3 being TDC Depress)

Both modifiers + Hat = Sensor Select Switch

I used the rudder axis on the throttle to be radar altitude adjust.

Then the three thumb buttons on the throttle got bound to a variety of things, but tried to follow the mindset that the modifiers should follow function. For instance, top modifer was for flight stuff, bottom modifier was for ground related stuff.

It...mostly worked, just ment playing some mental gymnastics every time I flew. CH Fighterstick was a life saver for that. Plan to get a TWCS throttle to replace the HOTAS-X Throttle. (I just have to stick off to the side while flying now)