IFF rules NCTR

vincentb

But lack of correct Mode 4 should usually be enough to classify a contact as hostile. Most of the time IRL, if there's a chance of the same aircraft being on both sides, I'm guessing NCTR (or simply aircraft type) and lack of IFF response would not be enough to declare a hostile (think of a friendly whose IFF isn't working properly). There are other things that can be considered, like point of origin (where does the bogey come from - ie. enemy territory or airbase), use of briefed passage points or corridors... I guess it can all be automated up to some point really, and after that manual declaration is required.

I also would like very much to see further refinements in this area for DCS, and having them working with all flyable aircraft (when they're able). ROE matrix for AI would be a great bonus.

History will tell you that being IFF reliant does not bode well for preventing blue on blue incidents. There have been a decent number either by air to air or surface to air engagements where IFF has been a contributing factor. It’s proven to not be the best way of doing business.

But lack of correct Mode 4 should usually be enough to classify a contact as hostile. Most of the time IRL, if there's a chance of the same aircraft being on both sides, I'm guessing NCTR (or simply aircraft type) and lack of IFF response would not be enough to declare a hostile (think of a friendly whose IFF isn't working properly). There are other things that can be considered, like point of origin (where does the bogey come from - ie. enemy territory or airbase), use of briefed passage points or corridors... I guess it can all be automated up to some point really, and after that manual declaration is required.

I also would like very much to see further refinements in this area for DCS, and having them working with all flyable aircraft (when they're able). ROE matrix for AI would be a great bonus.

Well you largely do have point of origin as a classified as you receive a HAFU from the AWACS by datalink (which if they classify as hostile and mode 4 shows no reply you can classify as hostile) and that is one of the methods AWACS will use to call a hostile (took off from enemy airfield). If you see an aircraft take off from a hostile airfield you can use PLID to classify it as hostile yourself.

At the moment we only have the manual IFF mode, there is an automatic IFF mode to come I believe which should take some of the pain away.