E-2D radar range

Eldur

I'll try posting this here since I made the experience in the Hornet with the new datalink feature.

I noticed that the contacts from an E-2D donor keep dropping from my SA screen roughly at ~120-130nm to the AWACS and above. When asking for a bogey dope or picture, they say I'm clean even though I know I'm not, but at least it's no D/L issue, they're just blind.

So what's the actual radar range of the Hawkeye? Just did some quick and dirty googling, finding out that the AN/APS-145 of the C can spot targets at 550km+, but the D has another suite that's more modern and capable. ~125nm, which is like 230km is nothing compared even to what I found on the C's radar. Of course the numbers can be wrong and I don't have good sources to look up things in. Also, I thought it might be planes simply notching, but that happened when they've been hot or cold to the AWACS as well.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I did some research on the subject some time ago and I noticed that publicly available radar max range information generally refer to bomber sized targets. I think that's one of those numbers companies write in brochures to make generals and kids happy, like aa missiles max range. There's a huge difference between a lateral aspect B-52's RCS and a frontal or rear aspect f-16's RCS.

But I don't know whether this is emulated in DCS or not.

Inviato dal mio S2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by catt42

I don't know the exact numbers but I do know the AWACS detection range is based on the detected aircrafts Radar Cross Section.

Aircraft with a low RCS are picked up later than aircraft with a large RCS, so just because a fighter is within 'detection' range of a larger aircraft doesn't mean the AWACS will see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;3826817']I don't know the exact numbers but I do know the AWACS detection range is based on the detected aircrafts Radar Cross Section.

Aircraft with a low RCS are picked up later than aircraft with a large RCS, so just because a fighter is within 'detection' range of a larger aircraft doesn't mean the AWACS will see it.

That makes sense. My targets are MiG-21bis at 14kft, when they dropped they've been beaming, but not 90°, more like 130ish. I have some Su-24s as well that are picked up at a similar distance though, but they're pretty low in that case. And some MiG-23s that never show up to the AWACS, distance around 250km. Oh, and some Tu-95, somewhere around 500-600km, not showing as well. I'd expect those to do so though...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The SA page has been enlightening to see just how much the AWACs do not see. I have not tested why exactly this happens (noching, cross section exposure etc) but I can have AWACs detecting a couple high flying migs just fine, then the AWACS turns in its racetrack pattern and they are gone, with "Picture Clear" despite them being 20 miles from me. Same if the migs turn, they can disappear from AWACs. I now take the picture clear call with some caution.

Is it possible the AWACS is breaking after the first waypoint is passed? We see a similar issue with carrier TACAN not working as expected after the carrier passes wp1, maybe this is a similar bug?

Not sure about the AWACS but I seem to recall reading somewhere that, when you assign the advanced waypoint command for the carrier to begin transmitting the TACAN beacon, it will, by design, turn itself off at the next waypoint unless you have assigned another advanced command at that next waypoint to have it transmit the beacon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Didn't know about that TACAN thing... guess I'll have to update my missions twilightsmile.png

As for the AWACS, I've had the occasion that they were blind, turned to another waypoint and then suddenly picked things up. Kinda like they're having dead angles, which is weird with that big radar dish on top of them derpyconfused.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 months later...

I made a little test and, in DCS, the E-2 is detecting a Mig-21 head-on alt 6000 mts with background clutter at little less than 180 nautical miles. The A-50 detects an F-5 at some 150nm. I have no hard data on the Sentry but if I remember well, it picks fighter sized targets at around 230 nm.