Fairly disapointed by the training missions

Viking 1-1

Too bad. I don't have it and won't buy it.

Out of interest, why not?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

A few reasons.

I hate the desert. I live in the Rockies.

Cost

Not enough space on my SDD for it.

With all that said. It's not written in stone. If I decide to concentrate on the A-10C exclusively, instead of the Hornet. I'll probably buy it and delete Normandy so i'll have room for it.

Buzz

I love the A-10, I really do. But the more time I spend flying the Harrier the more fond of her I grow... even though she has shorter legs, less ordnance and is much more fragile, the agility, speed and different take off and landing options - simply love them.

On A-10 training, I haven’t tried it for a long time but things evolved in DCS and it is really difficult to keep up with all the changes trigger - wise (trust me, I know something about it!). Fortunately you have a good manual, tonnes of excellent YouTube videos and Maple Flag’s missions to test what you have learned (and learn some new things in the process).

I got the harrier in the previous sale and I am just starting to get to grips with it. The fact I can skin it and make it look like a british GR7/9 is a nice point for me. :)

Did I hear that there will be a Harrier campaign from you?

That will be great and most welcome.

I think people here are to harsh to the OP. I mean he is completely right, those thing he described should not happen.

I guess the reason is, the game evolves constantly and old modules to need to be updated to be on track. I was lucky to have purchased it after release (when it was stand-alone) and the tutorial worked just fine back then.

I revisited the 3 missions the OP mentioned - start up, taxi and navigation - and had no problems. They all work fine.

I think the problem with some training missions is that if the novice doesn't do exactly what is asked of them, then things can become confused quite easily.

It is essential to follow the instructions exactly and at the right time.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I revisited the 3 missions the OP mentioned - start up, taxi and navigation - and had no problems. They all work fine.

I think the problem with some training missions is that if the novice doesn't do exactly what is asked of them, then things can become confused quite easily.

It is essential to follow the instructions exactly and at the right time.

I tested the missions again by myself, without touching anything before being told, and the navigation mission still doesn´t work:

- press "Spacebar" but you need the trigger…

- Jumps voiceovers

- Plays voiceovers from the beginning out of sequence in the middle of the Mission

- doesn´t recognize TACAN Input, so I´m not able to finish the Mission

And since I´m using a Hotas Warthog I´m not confused with the bindings, since I press exactly the button that is asked for.

Edit: German version of the game, so maybe there is the difference with the voiceover...

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

I tested the missions again by myself, without touching anything before being told, and the navigation mission still doesn´t work:

- Jumps voiceovers

- Plays voiceovers from the beginning out of sequence in the middle of the Mission

And since I´m using a Hotas Warthog I´m not confused with the bindings, since I press exactly the button that is asked for.

Edit: German version of the game, so maybe there is the difference with the voiceover...

press spacebar works, as long as you don't change the keybinds for it! The default mapping is Trigger.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

- Jumps voiceovers

Sorry that you are having issues. I have none of the ones you mentioned. As long as timing is correct, then all the missions work perfectly well. Maybe there is an issue with the German version, as you say,

I also use the TM WH HOTAS.

Nevermind.

When I opened this thread I was pretty sad because as I said I was expecting "more". Anyway, I'm enjoying the A10C a lot..Very happy that I bought this module and Im looking forward to the coming training campaign! :thumbup:

Just did my first ILS landing. Jesus, you really need trust and faith in your Instruments! :smartass:

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

Glad you’re enjoying the Hog, but it’s a pity about the training missions not working for you. I found them very useful as a learning aid.

I also encountered the odd issue with the training missions. The whole trigger instead of spacebar issue wasn't a big deal, after the space bar didn't work I just pressed random keys til something happened. Easy.

For me the most frustrating was particularly the nav mission, you'd flick the relevant switches etc and then it just wouldn't progress - usually after 10 or 15mins have already elapsed, so you wind up having to sit through the same thing again and hope it doesn't bomb on you as before. BUT this is nothing more than a nuisance for me as there's a number of youtube tutorials which can assist - and often getting it explained from another persons' perspective can also help tremendously.

For me the most frustrating was particularly the nav mission, you'd flick the relevant switches etc and then it just wouldn't progress - usually after 10 or 15mins have already elapsed, so you wind up having to sit through the same thing again and hope it doesn't bomb on you as before. BUT this is nothing more than a nuisance for me as there's a number of youtube tutorials which can assist - and often getting it explained from another persons' perspective can also help tremendously.

I just tried the NAV mission again, and it went through with no issues at all.

In my experience, the Training Missions in DCS - which I think are a very valuable tool - are very sensitive to users not doing the EXACT thing they are asked to do, and also it is not always clear if the input has been recognised. This combined with some long delays in responses as the aircraft has to reach certain trigger points, can cause confusion. Now, bearing in mind that the people using the Training Missions are likely to be novices, this is very likely to happen.

I love going back over training missions for modules I am quite familiar with, as I usually pick up some knowledge I had missed or forgotten about!

PS. AMEDooley's recommendation on the Maple Leaf Training Campaigns is correct. They are excellent, but they do suffer from the the same issues I described above. They also can become confused when instructions are not adhered to exactly, or if wrong inputs are made, etc.

Well, I decided to concentrate exclusively on the A-10C and let the F/A-18 go. I think the slower Hog suits an old man like me better.

I'll do all the training missions and report back if I run into any problems. I'll also buy the Baltic training campaign coming too. I guess i'll need to buy Nevada too.

Then do the Maple Flag campaigns and Enemy Within too.

I'd love to join the 476th someday but it might be too much for my old man memory. I'd hate to let down a squadmate. It's better I stick to the AI.

So, off to study and train I go. This is going to be tough and fun. I won't accept failure.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

Love your approach Buzz. The A-10 is worth the effort. Super satisfying to use the airframe to its max. Happy to help if you run into any challenges. I love training campaigns.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

I’m working up the beginning of the A10C learning curve also. I agree, the tutorials are a disappointment. I bought the Maple Flag missions thinking they would help. They are, but not in the way intended. They are performance checks for what is already learned. Instead of using them mission by mission, which also was frustrating as hell as a lot has changed since they were made, I instead have been watching the ReconStewart series of Basic, Advanced and Tactical Campaigns for the A10C. I set my Surface up next to the main computer A10C, watch a tutorial, maybe even a couple of times, takes some notes and then perform the instruction presented. It is working rather nicely. I’m up to advanced maneuvers now, but I still drill what has previously been learned. Pattern work, ILS, Tacan etc. I have spent some time looking at all of them and feel fairly good about where I will be going and what I’ll be learning. There will be more after that I’m sure, perhaps some of the ED missions, or Bunyaps On The Range, but for now I’m concentrating on the basics, navigation, manuevers and becoming comfortable with all the doodads, thingamagigs, radios, lights, buzzers,. dials, switches and yada yada yada. It’s going to go on for some time. But it is coming. Enjoy it, you’ll be there awhile!

And.. Oh yea.... I RTFM!

I *HIGHLY* recommend Bunyap's youtube page. The series is called Down on the Range (something like that). there are A10A videos, but you can skip those and move on to A10C videos.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1