AI pilots stupidity in ground attack

We all know that the in lo-mac isn't as smart as we want it to be. TO me as a dedicated lover of ground attacks the AI behaviour is really frustrating, to say the least.

Has it come to anyone's attention but me, that sending AI's jesttion their bombs and external stores when under threat. In an example i send a Su-17M4 on SEAD, it's got Kh-25ML missiles and iron/clusterbombs.

After launching the Kh-25ML's the AI will just jettision the remaining stores, then continuing to circle/fly around the targetarea dispensing chaff and flare. It continues this stupid behaviour until it runs out of fuel.

Then trys to land at the airbase where it was suppsed to eliminate airdefences. It gets shot down, what else?

Why would i want to attack airdefenses using bombs? Because that happened in RL in the 1980's during the Angola-conflict, by the South African Airforce and cuban airforce.

Read some personal accounts and matter-of-fact at http://www.urrib2000.narod.ru/EqMiG23aa.html and http://www.urrib2000.narod.ru/ArticPiercy-e.html.

The Mirage-F1CZ's from the SAAF was forced to go head-to-head using only iron bombs Mk-82, Mk-84's against SA-6 Kub, Strela-10 and ZSU-23-4 Shilka batteries. Unlike in RL the SAAF couldnt bail out like the lo-ac AI's does.

What is a good strategy for sending AI's in lo-mac to SEAD when their missiles are exausted??

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

The best strategy is to delete all AI flights and do everything yourself ;-) I just wish ED would find a way of giving us an lua-like ability to experiment with the AI ourselves.

However we're stuck with what we've got, so...

What is a good strategy for sending AI's in lo-mac to SEAD when their missiles are exausted??

It's possible that by making sure the targetting is set to "missile" instead of the default "any" weapon, they will cut & run after firing the last missile. It sounds like the aircraft you talk about are circling in the hope they'll be able to carry out a guns attack in whatever dreamworld their C++ brains live in.

Andrew McP

It sounds like the aircraft you talk about are circling in the hope they'll be able to carry out a guns attack in whatever dreamworld their C++ brains live in.

Andrew McP

Yep, this is hat happens.. they jettission their bombs, sometimes even the missiles and then circle around trying to do a gunzo attack which they never do. Only circling, pop flares, then go landing. And get shotd down then.

Hope that in some follow-on to lo-mac that ED will put the AI on the todo-list as well.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Try shifting the IP waypoint. Sometimes when AI pilots have to turn to engage a target and the IP is to close they get stuck in a "loop" trying to turn but not being able to make the turn, then trying again and again and...

Shifting speed at the Ip might do the trick also. AI disregard speed set at the taget waypoint and enter some kind "attack mode", often flying low into the engagement envelope of low alt AD.

anzac.jpg

VVS 504th Red Hammers

Bomberwing CO

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Having made so many missions, I came to the conclusion that way-points, attack points, hight, speed, targets etc. are meaningless.

The AI evaluates the threat priorities, and go after them. If your target is amongst them- and rated high, you are lucky.

As for going with guns after Shilkas and Tunguskas, dumping ordnance when attacked - the reason why I don't know.

Setting up an attack mission usually takes 80% of the work needed to build a mission.

Are you talking about 1.02 or 1.1? Because I've not seen this behavior in 1.1 yet. I have a couple of missions where su30's do sead and they never jettison when under attack. In 1.02 they would always jetisson to evade missiles.

• 15 years later...

Late to this discussion but - Try experimenting with the Set Option action.

Specificallty - Set Option - restrict Jettison. This seems to be required regardless of what is set in the Set Option - Reaction to Threat option which also seems to have a dramatic effect on AI behaviour.

Also experiment with options such as "ground attack" vs "CAS" and actions such as "attack map object" or "bombing" instead of "attack unit" or "attack group". There are several switches in each of these options as well. All seem to have an effect, although not always as expected.

One behavious that seems to be consistent is that only one aircraft in any given group will attack the target on any given pass. If you want all aircraft to drop on the first pass, you have to make each a/c it's own group.

Just my experience so far.

Late to this discussion but...

:) by 15 years. I was wondering about the LOMAC reference and noticed the posting date. Made me smile.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.