Server listing is flakey

EGG

My server listing has been flakey for a long while, there are servers that are out there, that I know exist, and yet often they won't appear in the server listing until either I refresh a dozen times, or they just never appear. My location is Aus.

Almost always appear

Aerobatics online

some chinese server

Sometimes appear

Through-the-Inferno US

Through-the-Inferno AUS

104th

Hoggit

Blue Flag PG

Never appear

Blue Flag Caucasus

DDCS

I think there's still a Cold War MiG vs F5 server?

Seaquark's Korea server

Below is an example screenshot of the listing I get.

2yyP6ry.jpg

And if I refresh, I get something else. It's found another 14 servers.

Ez3hhaj.jpg

Is it like this for everyone? Can I store a local server listing for DCS to poll or something? It's annoying when I know there are populated, low-ping servers in my own country (TTI-Aus) and I cannot get them to show up in the listing.

Edited by EGG

So because I was bored, I had a look at what packets are being sent out to the various servers when you attempt to refresh the multiplayer list. This is using Microsoft Message Analyzer because Wireshark doesn't list PID's. The request to the ED server is via SSL, so you can't see the contents of the master server list that comes back. But the DCS process will then attempt to poll ~180 servers for their status.

So as a single example, I loaded the MP screen, which gave me among 111 servers:

Blue Flag Caucasus (first time I've ever seen it)

Cold War

Korea!

Servers I didn't see, but then had a look for their IP in the network logs:

Dynamic DCS (47.27.58.61 ?)

Nothing sent or received

104th

Packet sent out, nothing received, but I had seen it earlier in the night.

TTI - US

Packet sent out, nothing received, but I had seen it earlier in the night.

TTI - AUS

Two broken packets received and then an ICMP timeout. It had been displaying correctly for me earlier.

I'll have another look tomorrow, see if anything changes. It seems it's a per-server issue, apart from Dynamic DCS, which may not be coming back in the master listing.

I'm curious: What antivirus/firewall software are you using?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Antivirus is AVG, no software firewall.

Today is different to yesterday. The following servers appeared:

TTI - US

Cold War

Korea

And for the below:

Dynamic DCS seemed to have it's IP changed to 45.27.58.61 Two packets sent (one at the very beginning of the list, one in the middle) one received, but not in MP list

104th

Packet sent out and received, but not in the server list.

TTI - Aus

Packet sent, none received

Blue Flag Cauc

Packet sent, none received

162 servers were polled, 91 responded and 69 were displayed.

I'm not sure what the criteria is for not displaying a server that responds, it seems up to 600 ping is ok, so it doesn't appear to be that.

I have been experiencing the same issue for a very long time now, that is why I suggested the following feature in the DCS Wish list: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217674

If you think this feature request is a good solution as well, I suggest you let ED know by responding in that thread.

Obviously a complete fix for the issue would be better, but even if all is fixed, I personally think this feature request is a good option to have anyway.

http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC