VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

Yes. I should have said "recompilation eventually won't succed" according to readme.txt's : "This ensures the metashaders will be recompiled correctly."

Dflippink, did you just update with mod installed (and logically mod being altered), and than see the mod not working ... or did you re-install the mod after the update and than see it not working ?

I think i might have screwed up somethin... the mod loaded similarly on the first launch... but gpu load was up at 85% from 62% as if it was not working.. gotta go dig through it...:doh:

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

OK, so I tried a few missions without renaming the DCS folder, and the mod seems to work just as well as it does with renaming the folder, which could be good news as it means an easier install with OvGME.

A comment from Kegetys would be useful on this, but looking good! I'll do some more tests.

The reason for removing the precompiled metashaders is that the metashaders do not seem to automatically get recompiled when making changes to shader files that are outside the metashaders directory (Bazar\shaders\metashaders), ie. GBuffer.hlsl which is changed by the mod. So the only way to get them recompiled seems to be to remove the compiled files. That is at least how the game behaves for me, if you want to make sure you can test it by making some change to 'Bazar\shaders\deferred\GBuffer.hlsl' and see if any files get changed under 'Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2' when you run DCS (the shaders under 'fxo' do get recompiled correctly).

If the metashaders are not recompiled then anything using them, like trees and terrain, will still be writing all the five GBuffers rather than just 4.

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

Sorry if you know this already, but it is important to uninstall all mods before doing any DCS update. This is where OvGME really comes into its own. Just the click of a button and all mods are installed/uninstalled and original data backed up.

all good friend!!.. i was using ovgme... not sure why it didnt work the first time... but its workin now...:thumbup:...

did you notice any anomalies when running the mod without renaming the dcs folder???

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

did you notice any anomalies when running the mod without renaming the dcs folder???

Nope, everything seemed completely as normal. Looking good!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The reason for removing the precompiled metashaders is that the metashaders do not seem to automatically get recompiled when making changes to shader files that are outside the metashaders directory (Bazar\shaders\metashaders), ie. GBuffer.hlsl which is changed by the mod. So the only way to get them recompiled seems to be to remove the compiled files. That is at least how the game behaves for me, if you want to make sure you can test it by making some change to 'Bazar\shaders\deferred\GBuffer.hlsl' and see if any files get changed under 'Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2' when you run DCS (the shaders under 'fxo' do get recompiled correctly).

If the metashaders are not recompiled then anything using them, like trees and terrain, will still be writing all the five GBuffers rather than just 4.

Thanks a lot for that. When I install your mod, I empty the fxo and metashaders2 folders, but don’t change the dcs folder in terrain. Shaders seem to recompile and the mod seems to work ok.

I’m a bit confused by that dcs folder, as if I remove it and run DCS without your mod, everything seems to run ok without the folder in question. Why is that, i wonder? It’s almost like it’s not needed.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just maxed out some really low level clouds over Batumi at 8am...ripped through the cities and clipped every treetop of the surrounding mountains in the Hornet... GPU just relaxing at 60% load.... unfxxxingreal!! @Kegetys, Thank You for this... I only saw things getting worse for the hardware end of things, which is ridiculous... you have maintained the beauty, and enabled us all to fly smoothly without breaking a hardware sweat in an absolutely glorious environment... thank you..

glorious.thumb.JPG.6a936aeaa967954fcace0983e1ed6bb8.JPG

Edited by DflippinK

Anyone else getting a foggy canopy in moonlight? Wondering if it's because of this mod or a general VR issue.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I implemented this yesterday using the latest OB U7. Unfortunately the sim does not start. Any idea?

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I implemented this yesterday using the latest OB U7. Unfortunately the sim does not start. Any idea?

Are you sure? It can take literally 10 minutes to get to the GUI first time round.

Are you sure? It can take literally 10 minutes to get to the GUI first time round.

I got the log full of errors. Even afte 30min the sim was not up. I even removed the fxo and shader folder.

I reverted to the OB U7 shaders and error gone, sim up after 2-3min.

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I got the log full of errors. Even afte 30min the sim was not up. I even removed the fxo and shader folder.

I reverted to the OB U7 shaders and error gone, sim up after 2-3min.

It’s the Saved Games fxo and metashaders2 folders you need to delete the contents of. Apart from that, I can’t help, sorry.

It’s the Saved Games fxo and metashaders2 folders you need to delete the contents of. Apart from that, I can’t help, sorry.

Correct. Thats what I deleted.

well.. not sure... mine is working beautifully... in any case.. try it like this...

1. Remove all Mods from your current version of DCS so that it is in stock form.

2. Clear all files in the C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta fxo and metashaders2 folders.

3. Update DCS to latest version.

4. Run latest version to make sure all is working.

5. If you intend to install Mods via OvGME, be sure to delete any backups previously made by OvGME before you do.

6. At this point, you can install the mod via Kegetys (OP) original instructions or via the OvGME protocol..

7. Enjoy

... also... it will take a while loading DCS and the first mission you fly for the first time after you install the mod... after that it is all fast!!

Edited by DflippinK

well.. not sure... mine is working beautifully... in any case.. try it like this...

1. Remove all Mods from your current version of DCS so that it is in stock form.

2. Clear all files in the C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta fxo and metashaders2 folders.

3. Update DCS to latest version.

4. Run latest version to make sure all is working.

5. If you intend to install Mods via OvGME, be sure to delete any backups previously made by OvGME before you do.

6. At this point, you can install the mod via Kegetys (OP) original instructions or via the OvGME protocol..

7. Enjoy

... also... it will take a while loading DCS and the first mission you fly for the first time after you install the mod... after that it is all fast!!

Useful advice, but step 5 is not needed. When you disable a mod in OvGME, it restores the backup files to their original locations. It MOVES them back, so the backup folder for any particular mod will be empty after a mod disabling.

This is working for me :D I could turn MSAAx4 on and still maintain 45fps!!.... sooooooooo much better!! Thank you!!!

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

How much of a performance increase does this mod create and does it make an obvious change to how the game looks?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

How much of a performance increase does this mod create?

Well, the answer is, "it depends" - on your hardware, your graphics settings, the mission, the number of objects in your vicinity, you name it...

Here is an example for VR https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3567606&postcount=186

The improvement is significant. But it is just one case out of many situations you can encounter.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Did anyone tried this at night? I just ran an instant action night mission on the PG map. With this mod enabled, I did not see many lights from buildings etc. compared to running it without the mod.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Did anyone tried this at night? I just ran an instant action night mission on the PG map. With this mod enabled, I did not see many lights from buildings etc. compared to running it without the mod.

Yes, for me PG is well lit at night. My issue is a foggy canopy in the moonlight. Am I the only one having this issue?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals