Top level-flight speed

If I fly the Bf 109 K-4 just above the ground (to help me fly level, rather than having a slight climb or dive), trim the aircraft, engage the MW50 and then use maximum throttle, I can achieve a speed of approximately 575 km/h.

This seems slow compared to performance charts (which give 585-595 km/h, REF) or the FW 190 D-9 (for which I can get 590 km/h for the same test).

What I am wondering is whether I am doing something incorrectly?

Is 575 km/h the same speed that others can reach flying level on the deck?

• ED Team
If I fly the Bf 109 K-4 just above the ground (to help me fly level, rather than having a slight climb or dive), trim the aircraft, engage the MW50 and then use maximum throttle, I can achieve a speed of approximately 575 km/h.

This seems slow compared to performance charts (which give 585-595 km/h, REF) or the FW 190 D-9 (for which I can get 590 km/h for the same test).

Use trimmer, Luke.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Should be able to get a bit more by manually controlling the radiators. Just have to watch the temps closely and not let it get TOO hot. Fair bit of drag induced by them on auto.

Yes. That's it.

Just been testing this today and I can get about an extra 20 km/h by closing them for a bit. This easily accounts for the discrepancies that I had noted. I've been flying on auto-radiator control for so long that I didn't think of it.

Thanks for this suggestion!

Use trimmer, Luke.

I'm not sure what the "trimmer luke" is. As I mentioned, I do trim the aircraft, so it flies pretty level and stable. I'm guessing that what you mean are the "trim tabs" that are set on the ground. These are the ones that are set from the main DCS menu, clicking Settings, then the Special tab and selecting Bf 109 K-4 on the left. I have the following:

Take-off Assistance = 0

Aileron Trim = +30

Rudder Tim (sic) = +5

Auto Rudder = off

Are there better settings I can use? Thanks!

Also remember if atmosphere conditions are different than ISA then IAS≠TAS. Many people went crazy before because they couldn't match published speeds, but you simply can't match published TAS as IAS.

Anyway, didn't try lately in 109, but time ago did a test and it wasn't that hard to match Dora published low level top speed in an ISA map, 610Km/H.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Does "Use the Force, Luke!" not ring a bell?

Apparently not... I had to look that one up. Turns out it is a Sci-Fi movie quote.

Also remember if atmosphere conditions are different than ISA then IAS≠TAS. Many people went crazy before because they couldn't match published speeds, but you simply can't match published TAS as IAS.

Good point.

I am on the deck, so I had guessed that TAS and IAS should be close. And for the tests I was doing, I was using the F2 external view reported speed (but now I can't remember if that was TAS or IAS). However, you are absolutely right that it is atmosphere-dependent, so I should have taken that into account too.

In any case, closing up the radiator cowls accounts for a huge difference, so that's where at least one big discrepancy was... and I've now figured out how to get an extra 20-30 km/h out of the aircraft in an emergency to I'm happy now! :)

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Like said TAS=IAS are the same at Sea Level, ISA Conditions are 15 Degree and 1013 hPa Pressure (you can set this under Weather conditions in DCS).

The Pressure make's normal (DCS no clue) about the Engine Power output and Drag of the Airframe, with the density of air molecules.

With ctrl+Y you can switch between IAS and TAS in the outside View.

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I am on the deck, so I had guessed that TAS and IAS should be close.
Can be close but not equal unless ISA conditions. IAS can be either higher than TAS in lower pressure/Temperature than ISA atmosphere, or lower in the opposite.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Can be close but not equal unless ISA conditions. IAS can be either higher than TAS in lower pressure/Temperature than ISA atmosphere, or lower in the opposite.

S!

https://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/Freebies/TrueAirspeedCalculator/

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...