Problem mapping RWR Search to HOTAS Warthog

Istari6

OK, weird troubleshooting issue here, hoping for some advice from someone who's been successful.

Given the current ALR-87 implementation, having the RWR Search button mapped to the HOTAS is critical. Need to flip back and forth to build up a picture of who's in the area and who might be locking me up.

However, I can't seem to get this function mapped successfully. Default was RALT+7, and I mapped that to my HOTAS Warthog throttle Button 24 (the far lower left switch). While Event Tester showed RALT+7 was being triggered, nothing happened in-game. So I tried changing the config to map that to RALT+P, then did same for HOTAS Warthog. Still no action in game. Yet hitting the key commands directly does press the RWR Search button appropriately.

I had another issue like this with the ACQ button. No matter what I mapped it to, it wouldn't work on my HOTAS yet would work if I hit the key directly. Event Tester shows Warthog is sending right response outside DCS.

Any ideas on where to go to troubleshoot a problem like this?

Problem mapping RWR Search to HOTAS Warthog

Off the top of my head are you sure it’s mapped to the right alt and not the left?

And make sure it’s not bound to a dx button too

What happens when you’re in the controls setup of DCS and you push that button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ricktoberfest

OK, I figured out the problem. It turns out that the T.A.R.G.E.T. "Pulse" setting simply isn't long enough to flip the RWR Search switch. It doesn't matter what keys are used, nor which buttons are assigned on the HOTAS. Only once I switched to "Hold" did it start working. Strange, since nothing else seems to work like this in the cockpit (except the Drogue Chute, which needs a long hold to jettison the chute after deployment).

Hope this helps someone else who may have trouble configuring their HOTAS.

Out of interest, why on earth are you using TARGET?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What else should I be using? This was what was recommended in the HOTAS documentation. Is everyone mapping directly into the Config of DCS?

Yes, never any need to use TARGET in DCS. Horrible software!

(I do use it to run other people's scripts in Elite Dangerous, but DCS? No.)

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Huh. I tried mapping the RWR Search directly in DCS, and it still didn't work. Only when I used TARGET with Hold did it finally respond to my HOTAS. But in general, I'll try out doing it all direct in DCS. Would seem to cut out the middleman.

Huh. I tried mapping the RWR Search directly in DCS, and it still didn't work. Only when I used TARGET with Hold did it finally respond to my HOTAS. But in general, I'll try out doing it all direct in DCS. Would seem to cut out the middleman.

Honestly have no idea why you can’t get that to work. I have no problems with it at all.

Script editor inside DCS? Or TARGET?

What are you trying to do with TARGET in DCS that can’t be done in normal direct mapping? I don’t understand!

I use Target for everything but the A10.

Perfect example in the F5 is the autopilot select switch on the warthog throttle (path, alt/hdg/alt). In the F5 it is my master arm switch. Fencing in, when I move the switch up, it raises the master arm guard and then moves the switch up to arm. Fencing out to land, I move the switch to alt/hdg and the master arm switch goes down, cover goes down. I use the engine fuel flow switches on the warthog for the emergency fuel cuttoffs. When I pull the engine fuel flow switch down into override, the F5 emergency fuel switch guard comes up, then the switch activates.

Until DCS is able to map multiple actions like raising a guard and flipping a switch to a single button, that is "why in the world" I would use Target. Is there a way to map multiple actions to a single button or switch in DCS I am not aware of?

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Just use script editor. there are virtually no limits to what can be done.

GUI version sucks!

I’m using the t1600 Hotas with rudders. With TARGET I’m limited to just 8 axis across 3 controllers and 32 buttons across the throttle and stick. Until I can run multiple scripts at the same time it’s not useful to me because it combines them all into 1 controller. Yes I know I can exclude certain devices but then why would I use TARGET. Maybe I’m missing something though

The only things I miss in DCS is being able to set dead zones at the outer limits of some axis and adjusting overall sensitivity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Target for everything but the A10.

Perfect example in the F5 is the autopilot select switch on the warthog throttle (path, alt/hdg/alt). In the F5 it is my master arm switch. Fencing in, when I move the switch up, it raises the master arm guard and then moves the switch up to arm. Fencing out to land, I move the switch to alt/hdg and the master arm switch goes down, cover goes down. I use the engine fuel flow switches on the warthog for the emergency fuel cuttoffs. When I pull the engine fuel flow switch down into override, the F5 emergency fuel switch guard comes up, then the switch activates.

Until DCS is able to map multiple actions like raising a guard and flipping a switch to a single button, that is "why in the world" I would use Target. Is there a way to map multiple actions to a single button or switch in DCS I am not aware of?

When flying the F-5, I have never felt ‘hey, I really wish I had a button/switch that undertakes 2 functions’ as you describe.

I mean, the master arm switch? How often do you open that in a flight? Once?

With effort, TARGET could be useful, it’s just that in my opinion it is overkill and frankly unnecessary, in DCS.

But, just my opinion.

But, just my opinion.

Clearly everyone here is entitled to their opinion, I was just offering valid uses for Target that DCS can't do since the question was posed. If "overkill and frankly unnecessary" were disqualifiers for my personal choices I would probably find some other form of recreation than study type simulators haha. Or maybe I just have a real aversion to touching a mouse while I fly...

Cheers

Multiplayer as Variable

Clearly everyone here is entitled to their opinion, I was just offering valid uses for Target that DCS can't do since the question was posed. If "overkill and frankly unnecessary" were disqualifiers for my personal choices I would probably find some other form of recreation than study type simulators haha. Or maybe I just have a real aversion to touching a mouse while I fly...

Cheers

I like it!

Incidentally, I have the master arm cover open/close switch mapped to Lever+JOY_BTN19 and the arm up/down mapped to Lever+Joy_BTN15/17, so all works seamlessly on same button, and no mouse necessary!

I hadn't thought of that, right on.

Multiplayer as Variable

Thanks all. Good responses. I was using TARGET since mapping the RWR Search button wasn't working when done directly in DCS. By using "Hold" I was able to get it to work on my HOTAS, which is key with the current ALR-87 implementation.

I like the idea about setting the Master Arm switch as described. While it's only rarely used, I find the switch cover makes it hard to hit the underlying toggle with the mouse without a lot of contortion to look underneath.

I like the idea about setting the Master Arm switch as described. While it's only rarely used, I find the switch cover makes it hard to hit the underlying toggle with the mouse without a lot of contortion to look underneath.

My direct mapping - as described in post #17 - doesn't involve the mouse.

Sorry, that is the pinky switch on the joystick quite commonly known as the Lever.

Just add/define it as a modifier in the controls section and use it in conjunction with other buttons.

Basically, you are doubling up on the number of buttons available to you.

Ah, cool idea. What do you use for disabling the aileron limiter? That's what I have currently mapped to the lever on my stick.

Never used the disable Aileron limiter. Don't think it's important. Still, I have it mapped to the TMS right button.

I use the Lever+button for lots of things in all modules. For example, I map the F1, F2, F5 and F10 views to Lever+DMS. Also, Lever+TMS for kneepad on/off, next page, previous page and mark position.

Edited by imacken

• 4 months later...

Hey imacken maybe you can help me a few questions? If I have programmed my Warthog using DCS keybinds and hen design a script using the TARGET GUI (os) what will happen to my Keybinds in DCS? I mean does it erase all the work I put in to it? I take it when you say lever it is the center button on the warthog joystick behind the paddle switch, if this is so where are you going to put the FLIR pod when it comes on line if your shift modifier is that switch?