VFA-204 River Rattler Aggressors Inbound

Bananimal

Yep. I used to love the sound of the engines when they'd chop the throttle for base leg. They sounded like someone blowing into a giant coke bottle.

I've managed to finish number 405 today. There will be a patched up version, shown here, and a normal version for those that don't like the patches. With the patchwork, I seemed to have hit the limitations of my talent. It came out ok, but it is not exact. Namely because Belsimtek botched the panel lines on the leading edge slats. So I could not lay the patchwork out as in pictures.

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I used to love the sound of the engines when they'd chop the throttle for base leg. They sounded like someone blowing into a giant coke bottle.

I've managed to finish number 405 today. There will be a patched up version, shown here, and a normal version for those that don't like the patches. With the patchwork, I seemed to have hit the limitations of my talent. It came out ok, but it is not exact. Namely because Belsimtek botched the panel lines on the leading edge slats. So I could not lay the patchwork out as in pictures.

Thanks for these skins!! I just finished installing them and will be trying them out later today. Any plans to do the CAG and/or line birds?

Thanks for these skins!! I just finished installing them and will be trying them out later today. Any plans to do the CAG and/or line birds?

Yes, CAG and Line birds are next in the Pipeline. Oh, and the CoNA bird too. CoNA and CAGs will be released as a pack. The line birds in grey will follow those.

Just about finished the last plane in the upcoming c.2017 pack. Just a few loose ends and it'll be done. Three of these aircraft required full repaints. I've then got to create the HUD, seat, engine and intake covers and this pack will be ready for upload.

This one is interesting. All the mismatches in paint on this one are as seen in photos. I especially like the light grey trim around the right intake and the lack of intake warning decal. :thumbup:

Edited by Bananimal

Alright folks. Last night, I fully intended to release these aircraft this week. However, I was looking for a bonus aircraft for the pack and finally found one. It's number 414 after it was handed over to VFC-12. So, I have to paint VFA-204 414 in order to do that bonus aircraft. What sealed the deal on this is, the 2018 pack I'll be doing, I planned on doing 414 as a bonus aircraft for that pack. So, I've got to get it done either way. I will be honest and tell you, I will be really glad to finish up the camo birds and not have to paint them for a while. They are burning me out. I've got my eye on some Marines squadrons and then further down the road, I plan on doing VFA-134 Smokes. They have camo. So, bare with me while I get this last one done and the 2017 pack will be on the way.

Edited by Bananimal

Ok fellas. Finished up 414 today. She'll be getting converted to a VFC-12 bird this week along with 406. Once those two are done, the pack will be on the way. I hope to have both done by the end of this week.

Here's a few screens of 414. She's a bit patched up. I removed the absurd dark streak beneath the vertical stabs and the over done hydraulic fluid on the wings was lightened significantly. I will be doing this for all aircraft in this pack and as an update with other fixes to the other packs. None of the pictures I worked from had those marks, so, they are gone. :thumbup:

Edited by Bananimal

Just finished one of the ex-VFA 204 to VFC-12 transition birds. It's 414 above. One more to do. Hoping to get it done tomorrow. I spent about 5 hours today trying to lay out coin sized tape on the helmet for this aircraft. Wasn't going to happen. So, finishing the last VFC-12 bird should be relatively quick.

Here'a few pics.

Edited by Bananimal

Do you have a "generic" version in the pack with adjustable bort numbers that maybe ED would include in the base livery pack... your work is amazing!

Unfortunately no. There are two reason for this.

1. The location of the aircraft numbering on these repaints IRL are outside of the BORT number bounding boxes ED uses on the aircraft. To use the BORT system as is would mean the numbers on the aircraft were not in their correct location on the repaint.

2. Each aircraft in these packs are unique from a camo/decal perspective. No two are alike. Simply changing the BORT number in-game would not represent each aircraft's real life counterpart.

For these two reason, this is why I have painted so many of them. So that those of you in squadrons can each fly a unique plane. I can tell you this, I've been flying with a few friends and when we all pick a unique number from these skins and go flying, the visuals are awesome.

The good news is this. When I wrap of VFA-204, there are several other squadrons I will be doing that will support the BORT numbering system and will include a generic skin for that purpose.

Ok, guys. I'm almost finished VFC-12 01. Just three more small parts to match up and she's done. This repaint took me a full three weeks to complete. It is a real aircraft. It's VFA-204 406 re-patched to VFC-12 01 once VFA-204 started receiving the Charlies and transferred it over to VFC-12. The markings are as accurate as I could get them. It's pretty impressive, though I don't think I'll be attempting to do another one like this for some time. It's a tremendous amount of work.

The interesting thing is, I found a video blog of C.W. Lemoine on Youtube. He was the pilot for number 414 in this pack. I reached out to him and gave him some insight into DCS and my repaints. He was impressed. The repatched VFC-12 09 bird posted earlier in this thread is 414. LCDR C.W. Lemoine's old bird. Of course, VFA-204 414 circa 2016 will be included in the pack as well and then I will add it to the 2011 and 2015 packs. So you'll be getting 414 in the final update to those two packs as well.

I just need to change the camo on 414 for 2016 and this pack is done.

As always, pilots, engine/intake covers, etc. have been included for both VFA-204 and VFC-12. Pretty cool stuff.

Edited by Bananimal

Good lord man, awesome work! Looking forward to the new Fighting Omar’s stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

LOL! Good lord is right. I call this one the patch job from hell. It's was the hardest repaint I've ever done. I would imagine the digital camo skin that was done a while back was even harder, but matching up these patches across seams with all the blending going on was a nightmare. I'm truly glad to be done with it.

Also, the tank in the pictures was in fact mounted to this aircraft in one of the pictures I have. I used the default as a template and modified the spacing on the pattern to match the photo. It looks the same as the original, but it is not.

And, I know I said that I was going to do the CoNA and the CaG birds next, but I want to step away from VFA-204 for about a week. I have something else I'm itching to release. Be looking out for a new thread from me in the next few days.

Edited by Bananimal

The pack is up. Links on the first post in this thread. :thumbup:

Thank you for your work.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle