Feature Request: VR: Overlay Compatibility/Fixes Needed

Putting in a feature request, because these really are more than a minor annoyances. For VR users, these issues significantly impede training, profile development and communication. Actually taking the headset off frequently can cause even more eyestrain, dirty the lenses, making the already barely adequate experience even more difficult.

This is how it should work.

1 SteamVR Home / Oculus Home

2 OVRDrop / Oculus Dash

3 Web Browser, PDF Viewer - Chuck's Guides

4 Launch Thrustmaster TARGET, VoiceAttack, Discord, TeamSpeak, etc.

5 DCS - VR

6 Alt+Tab

7 Move DCS Window to bottom corner, mostly off-screen, but clickable to resume focus.

8 Maximize Web Browser, PDF Viewer. Remap Thrustmaster profile bindings. Edit VoiceAttack profiles. See who is speaking on Discord, TeamSpeak, etc.

Here are the problems.

* DCS desktop mirror is forcibly placed at the center of the screen, always on top when focused. Displaying PDF Guides, or voice comms software on a monitor, is at best less efficient and more complex.

* Within VR, projecting an existing monitor onto a virtual 2D surface, using OVRDrop, or Oculus Dash, is the most efficient way to multitask, and this is not really going to change. After all, we still use command-line interfaces today.

* OVRDrop would require a second monitor to project, and a combination of VoiceAttack commands to show/hide/switch applicatons/monitors. Such a workaround would be complex and relatively slow.

* Oculus Dash overlays cannot be moved, without hiding the DCS VR interface. Placing the overlays away from important cockpit controls, is an iterative process at best. Worse, unlike OVRDrop, Oculus Dash does not use absolute positioning, meaning that every time something is restarted, the displays must be repositioned.

There is only one usable workaround I have found.

* Ten-page multiple kneeboard chapters.

* VoiceAttack "kneeboard 10 forward" command and similar.

* Landscape kneeboard.

* Communications apps - tear off as a separate Oculus Dash overlay (where it is displayed on a virtual monitor). Keep small, use only if needed.

Before settling on this workaround, I had gone through such extremes as running DCS World through ReVive, to force it to use SteamVR with an Oculus, allowing OVRDrop to be used.

Whereas, with Elite Dangerous, a functionally similar game, the ideal workflow just works. Especially if installed/launched from Oculus Home, in which case the Oculus Dash interface is always transparent.

To be clear here, the VR experience is usable as is, and much appreciated. Likewise, it is understandable that Eagle Dynamics has other priorities (speaking of, FA-18 much appreciated also). For me personally, customizing the kneeboard is now mostly sufficient. But that, and related problems, did incur quite a bit of extra work.

Just making the desktop mirror an ordinary window would significantly reduce the barrier to entry for VR. For Oculus uses specifically, 'supporting' the Oculus Dash interface, allowing it to become transparent, would ease cockpit placement.

Edited by m335
grammar

Proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance...

that will fix your problem.

learn the manual so you don't need it in the cockpit..

or use a PDF viewer to reinforce bad habits :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

*sigh*

For me personally, customizing the kneeboard is now mostly sufficient.

Ok, yes, I have learned to fly an F-5E, 'without the manual' now, so I know what I am doing, and not just whining about wanting to follow bad habits.

That doesn't change the fact that learning by doing can make it much easier to understand the details of why cockpit systems work the way they do. Or the operational reality that other desktop applications may need to be used.