Best Monotor for Huey? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
Fakum

Default Best Monotor for Huey?

Hi all, I just posted this over in the hardware section, but I also wanted to target the Huey Flyers, because that is primarily what I prefer to fly (along with Black Shark). You guys over here are much more tuned to the needs. Below is what I posted. Thanks for any feedback folks.

Hi all, I have been reading for days about monitors, my eyes and brain are bleeding! I am replacing my 980 ti Hybrid with a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid(my 980 crapped out :{ ). Anywho, in the process, I realized that my current 30" monitor (2500 x 1600 60 Hz) only has Dual DVI input. Wont mate with new GPU without a passive adapter. I dont want that! So I am looking to upgrade to 34" to 38" Curved. I DO NOT want a 1440 vertical resolution monitor. I like the height of my current 30", and do not want to reduce it down. That kind of limits my selection, and Im ok with that. So for days it seems that my best bet would be to stick with 60Hz for the sake of TrackIR (120Hz) and considering that I wont likely see steady frame rates of 60 FPS with everything set to high anyway. To add to this, I prefer to fly Helos in DCS as opposed to fast movers (occasional), so my need to spot air targets at a distance is not a primary concern. Smooth, crisp low level terrain is my primary focus. With that being said, I also have a store credit for BestBuy of about $800 - $1000 for a monitor, and the best i can find seems great, but it is a 60 Hz:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-38uc...?skuId=5672800

I am suffering from information overload, and am soliciting for feedback based on my specific needs. I am considering purchasing elsewhere for a better suited monitor for my needs if its within budget and it makes better sense? Thank you in advance.
Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / GIGABYTE 3866MHz GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MOBO / Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz Processor (OC to 4.Eight) / G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD / EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Onboard Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ulrawide HD Monitor / Track IR4 / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals / Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS (Modded)
Fakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
PhoenixRising

I realize you use your monitor for things other than DCS, and you probably don't have an unlimited budget, but have you considered VR? Flying helicopters is awesome with the situational awareness VR provides.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Fakum

Yes, the Rift -S is on my list in the next couple of months, and I appreciate your suggestion. One of the things I am considering is the potential that I will NOT be using VR all of the time. So I want that option to fall back to the monitor, and enjoy the eye candy, especially if I wind up not adapting well to VR (Hope that is not the case). In the mean time, I am out of service for flying until I get my GPU replaced, which means I need that monitor ASAP. I had my mind set to keep using my current 30" (2500 x 1600 60Hz) until I started reading about some issues with the occasional flickering etc by using that Active Adapter I would need. I just didnt want to deal with any degradation and nuisances.
Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / GIGABYTE 3866MHz GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MOBO / Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz Processor (OC to 4.Eight) / G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD / EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Onboard Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ulrawide HD Monitor / Track IR4 / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals / Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS (Modded)
Old 11-30-2019, 04:24 AM   #4
BlacleyCole

i second vr

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Fakum

Thanks guys, but Im not trying to be sold on VR, I already am. Im looking for input on monitors for Helo flight please, thanks.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Sephyrius

Might want to make a list.

VR is king for Huey, which is why that's the responses you're getting. Hell, Im using it too. The "heli pilot-specific monitor response" you're looking for doesn't really exist.

But some notes.

- DVI and HDMI are the same signal, so "not wanting an adapter" makes no sense.
- Screens are usually either high res or high framerate, so you're gonna have a hard time finding both.
- Beyond 1440 res is borderline superfluous for a monitor of that size, which is why it's rare. I doubt it's even noticeable to go from 1440 and 1600. Whats even rarer is a 1600+ res on a curved monitor of that size.

Since your criteria has already eliminated all options on best buy and I dont live in the US I can't be of much help. Good luck.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Fakum

Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, Im not looking for a monitor specifically for the Huey, Im looking for advice from people who fly helicopters and use a monitor. Im guessing there is more than 1? Im just trying to get their life lessons feedback.

Regarding the adapter, My position makes sense to me if im not wanting to have to deal with occasional interruption, potential lag etc. The active adapter (for about $130) I would need to convert Display port to dual DVI for a 2560 x 1600 resolution is highly subject to fault. Im sorry that does not make sense to you.

Regarding my criteria eliminating all options at Best Buy ,Im not certain that I have? The one I attached for comment, was simply that, attached for comment/feedback. Maybe that would be great? Maybe that would be horrible? I dont know, thats why Im asking for opinions from those who likely know.

If no one has an opinion on here, thats fine, at least I asked.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
BlacleyCole

If your using a monitor you will be needing trackir or multiple monitors or both as I went to vr as I got into dcs and never ran it on multiple monitors. I know some people do. I did buy a large curved monitor for my pit since I needed something and in reality I only plan on using it in dcs when I’m testing something out and if it works I’ll restart and go in to vr if the restart is needed. Good luck one thing I didn’t do in the curved that might have been nice was get a touch screen but I have a new 24/27” touch screen in storage if I decide to run multiple monitors and need on for the switch inputs

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #9
Sephyrius

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c49hg90dmnxza/

Something like that? It fits the bill in every regard except it's still 1440 vertical res. I legit can't find *any* wide curved monitor with more than that.

Peripheral vision is king, I used to fly with 3x surround monitors (and even at some point 5x one in portrait mode) before VR was a thing, but I don't think you'd like having bezels and some distortion. If it was me I'd go back to 60hz (120 feels more like a Counter-Strike millisecond money drain) and instead sit closer to a 4K display of a good size - or the dream, 3x4k surround, but that's insanely demanding.

Last edited by Sephyrius; 12-01-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Fakum

@BlacleyCole: I am still using TrackIR and a touchscreen (as per my spec signature). I have been shying away from the touchscreen, primarily due to the maintanace and time needed to keep it going when updates, etc break it.

@Sephyrius: The 38" monitor that i posted a link to is about the widest I could possibly go (I think?) in the work space that I have. The nice thing about that monitor is that I dont loose any height (by going from a 1600 to a 1440) and it is a 60 hz monitor. I did not see the specs in that link you provided. I will have to look for those later and compare. I have no idea what the response time and quality is over the one I am looking at. Thanks for the tip though.