BVR problems with F18

DST

Hi guys,

I have the following problem in the F18 at the moment:

I have a really hard time locking targets up via TDC cursor, they are definitely in front of me, against the sky, not the ground (so no notching), and either do not at all show up on the display until I get visual, or just for a splitsecond and then disappear again, or when I manage to lock a target via TDC press, I lose the lock very quickly after a second or so. I just can´t seem to figure out what I´m doing wrong here, the same situation with the F16 is no problem, targets show up on the display, can be locked without problem, and stay locked. Is this still bugged after all this time, or am I missing something here?

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

Try unboxing LTWS. I was having the same issue. Once I disabled LTWS I was able to get solid locks.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Hi guys,

I have the following problem in the F18 at the moment:

I have a really hard time locking targets up via TDC cursor, they are definitely in front of me, against the sky, not the ground (so no notching), and either do not at all show up on the display until I get visual, or just for a splitsecond and then disappear again, or when I manage to lock a target via TDC press, I lose the lock very quickly after a second or so. I just can´t seem to figure out what I´m doing wrong here, the same situation with the F16 is no problem, targets show up on the display, can be locked without problem, and stay locked. Is this still bugged after all this time, or am I missing something here?

Hi,

Try to see if it’s the same situation answered here.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4065112&postcount=14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try unboxing LTWS. I was having the same issue. Once I disabled LTWS I was able to get solid locks.

Ok, thank you Sir! That seemed to have solved it for me.

Btw, I have no friggin´ idea what LTWS even is… :)

Is there any way to keep the datalink symbology in the radar without LTWS or does that just not work that way? Without LTWS I only get bricks in the radar whether MSI is on or off?

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I'll try that because I have the same issue.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

No problem! The other issue could be that while in LTWS mode you need to have a tighter bar/azimuth scan to maintain the soft locks. Contacts will only update with each scan of the radar so I'm assuming this makes it more difficult to track said targets. I'd try again with LTWS except try a 2 bar scan with an 80 degree sweep.

If you want to know more about LTWS check out Wags video here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

No problem! The other issue could be that while in LTWS mode you need to have a tighter bar/azimuth scan to maintain the soft locks. Contacts will only update with each scan of the radar so I'm assuming this makes it more difficult to track said targets. I'd try again with LTWS except try a 2 bar scan with an 80 degree sweep.

If you want to know more about LTWS check out Wags video here:

Which would be fine, but right now the radar is so basic the radar cone wont even follow the tdc when switching to a narrower scan zone. :doh:

LTWS (Latent Track While Scan) is a sub-mode of RWS (Range While Scan) that allows the pilot to view generated information, as well as weapon launch zones, for the a. L&S target (primary target), b. DT2 target (secondary target) and/or c. TUC (Target Under Cursor).

In the F-18, the radar will generate trackfiles (build info on a contact) and rank them. RWS displays radar returns as raw hits or bricks. LTWS allows the pilot to view the "hidden" trackfile info for the aforementioned targets. It can't be used (or shouldn't be able to be used) for weapons guidance, since the target update rate is not high enough.

! With LTWS enabled, the first press of the TDC over a target will make it the L&S target, or the DT2 target if L&S already exists. Designating a third target will make it the L&S target, while the previous L&S will become DT2 etc. A second press of the TDC over an L&S target will lock it in STT mode. Alternatively, SCS Right over a target will immediately put the radar in STT mode on that target.

Unboxing LTWS suppresses the display of HAFU symbology (I believe MSI targets aren't showing as well) and just shows the bricks. A TDC press over a brick will immediately enter STT lock.

A little complicated, but I hope that helped. :)

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

LTWS (Latent Track While Scan) is a sub-mode of RWS (Range While Scan) that allows the pilot to view generated information, as well as weapon launch zones, for the a. L&S target (primary target), b. DT2 target (secondary target) and/or c. TUC (Target Under Cursor).

In the F-18, the radar will generate trackfiles (build info on a contact) and rank them. RWS displays radar returns as raw hits or bricks. LTWS allows the pilot to view the "hidden" trackfile info for the aforementioned targets. It can't be used (or shouldn't be able to be used) for weapons guidance, since the target update rate is not high enough.

! With LTWS enabled, the first press of the TDC over a target will make it the L&S target, or the DT2 target if L&S already exists. Designating a third target will make it the L&S target, while the previous L&S will become DT2 etc. A second press of the TDC over an L&S target will lock it in STT mode. Alternatively, SCS Right over a target will immediately put the radar in STT mode on that target.

Unboxing LTWS suppresses the display of HAFU symbology (I believe MSI targets aren't showing as well) and just shows the bricks. A TDC press over a brick will immediately enter STT lock.

A little complicated, but I hope that helped. :)

Thanks for the explanation.

But what I still don't quite get, why I have such a hard time getting radar contacts at all on my DDI when LTWS is enabled. The "Bricks" either don't show up at all allthough I'm in range, or they show up and again disappear after a second. Changing the bars or radar range has no effect.

But with LTWS unboxed I have constant contacts with blips showing up all the time.

But what I still don't quite get, why I have such a hard time getting radar contacts at all on my DDI when LTWS is enabled. The "Bricks" either don't show up at all allthough I'm in range, or they show up and again disappear after a second. Changing the bars or radar range has no effect.

But with LTWS unboxed I have constant contacts with blips showing up all the time.

I don't know about that. I've heard users report this before, so you're not alone, but it hasn't been a problem for me, so I can't comment on it. If the bricks are disappearing too quickly, maybe consider increasing the target aging and remember that AA weapon selection changes that number, so make sure to set it up higher and save the profile with SET.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

LTWS boxed/unboxed shouldn't make any difference to the scan pattern and blips showing up. If the scan pattern is set too large, then it can happen that contacts disappear, before the radar sweeps over the same spot in the sky again. In that case I would recommend to increase the target aging as Harker said. IIRC you can find it somwhere on the upper right corner of the data subpage of the radar page. It's a simple nuber that should say something like 8 or 16 or something like that. It's the timeout in seconds before a contact fades out if not detected again.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg