DCS:Syria Map FAQ

Wags

Thats´s a very important question, as at this moment, we dont have RSBN stations as a unit.

IMHO the best solution is to have the RSBN as a unit.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=184072

We could make far more dynamic and unique missions when only handful of RSBN stations are located in the map, and many are mobile, informed in the mission briefing, usable via triggers etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I would like to have more water in the west area of the map - to have a proper Carrier Group on the map - Carrier Control Area r=50 NM.

Can't do. As going any more west means they need to include the Cyprus as well. The map ends just at their country international border there.

It is just sad thing in this real geographical situation that Cyprus exist there, as otherwise we could have got a map with more ocean to make a fleet missions.

Like here is situation in 2013:

800px-Eastern_Mediterranean_6_Sep_2013.jpg

366418_07-01-gas.png

No way can you make a historical mission and have any USS ships in the area.

But it is always interesting that what can we do with the fleet movements missions between Caucasus and Syria map now.

_91975310_russian_flotilla_map624.png

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Im assuming if its like other maps there will be more water to the left off the map so it will be possible to start a mission there for something like the SC. I had a similar thought that theres not a huge amount of water for a CBG to be running west on.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Im assuming if its like other maps there will be more water to the left off the map so it will be possible to start a mission there for something like the SC. I had a similar thought that theres not a huge amount of water for a CBG to be running west on.

Would be good, but take a look at Normandy Map - on the west side, you have land!

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Can't do. As going any more west means they need to include the Cyprus as well. The map ends just at their country international border there.

It is just sad thing in this real geographical situation that Cyprus exist there, as otherwise we could have got a map with more ocean to make a fleet missions.

Check the caucasus map, it actually includes the coastal outline of the entier Black Sea. The Syria map could easily include the similar sized eastern Med up to Crete. No land detail, just the coastal outline to use the sea space for naval operations. It is playspace almost for free.

I've been consolidating info on this map to allow for some airfield diagrams, but I haven't been able to find any information on this heliport:

Der Salman Heliport

That Wags listed in Syria. It looks like its in Damascus proper, Does anyone have any info on it or an indication if it has a different name?

There are two heliports near Marj al-Sultan. With Deir Salman being the neighbouring village to the south-east, the heliport to the south-east of MaS might be the one. But that's more of an educated guess than anything else.

33°29'14.12"N 36°28'29.83"E

Like here is situation in 2013:

800px-Eastern_Mediterranean_6_Sep_2013.jpg

366418_07-01-gas.png

No way can you make a historical mission and have any USS ships in the area.

But it is always interesting that what can we do with the fleet movements missions between Caucasus and Syria map now.

_91975310_russian_flotilla_map624.png

interesting that the fleet movement would never work with hostilities with NATO.

of course the Kuz would be fairly useless in a war in her state now.

There are two heliports near Marj al-Sultan. With Deir Salman being the neighbouring village to the south-east, the heliport to the south-east of MaS might be the one. But that's more of an educated guess than anything else.

Yes I agree, thats the place, whats it actually called though?

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Check the caucasus map, it actually includes the coastal outline of the entier Black Sea. The Syria map could easily include the similar sized eastern Med up to Crete. No land detail, just the coastal outline to use the sea space for naval operations. It is playspace almost for free.

I think its almost a crime that ED whose the spiritual/actual successor of the company that produced SU27 flanker and flanker 2.0 (iirc??) made the Caucauses map, included Crimea, and its featureless, Vaassst open featureless parts of the map.

all this time, youd think theyd fill in some of it.

Same with PG , thats a major complaint of mine. Given the last 20 years, its downright shocking they didnt even model Basra etc. I get that maybe they didnt want towns to map edge to discourage flights there and a jarring map boundary, but its equally jarring to see civilization abruptly end where you know it doesnt IRL.

So is it part of marj al sultan as a staellite field or the like or does it have its own designator?

cw1.png

I think its almost a crime that ED whose the spiritual/actual successor of the company that produced SU27 flanker and flanker 2.0 (iirc??) made the Caucauses map, included Crimea, and its featureless, Vaassst open featureless parts of the map.

Same with PG , thats a major complaint of mine. Given the last 20 years, its downright shocking they didnt even model Basra etc. I get that maybe they didnt want towns to map edge to discourage flights there and a jarring map boundary, but its equally jarring to see civilization abruptly end where you know it doesnt IRL.

They said what they were doing with PG. How is it a surprise none of Iraq was modelled? That's like ordering a 1TB hard drive and then wondering why 3 years later you haven't received another 300GB disk space for free. I don't get why folks always have to have stuff for free. It was sold as is, we got more than they advertised it originally as and there is no reason to expect anything else.

As for putting the crime in Crimea, again, crazy talk, its free. DCS: World is free. Pay for a DLC, get that DLC, that is the model. Caucasus, the free map, isn't going to get more added, that's it. 1TB harddrive was free, dont ask for 1.3TB and call it a crime not to have it...

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

OK I reckon having watched Damascus air taxi again Der Salman might now be MARJ AL SULTAN South. HELIPORT

cw1.png

This

OK I reckon having watched Damascus air taxi again Der Salman might now be MARJ AL SULTAN South. HELIPORT

Marj As Sultan South - Military Helicopter Airbase

https://wikimapia.org/#lat=33.483662&lon=36.461306&z=16&m=w&show=/16315864/Gunship-Helipad-LZ&search=%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B1%D8%AC%20%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AC%D8%AF%D9%8A%D8%AF

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

First, Crimea was deleted on FC-1 by map limitations on object count technology previously to EDGE engine. After, Crimea has not been added by the "little" problem by the russian crimean "invasion" of 2004, a political theme and remeber, ED main studio has located on Mowcow, Russia. That has a very sensible theme and actually has not added to no convert them on a "political" theme. The same situation with the Caucasus north / ukrania region by "Dombass War" / Chechenia / and some south republics.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

So next question do Heliports typically have a runway?

looking at the Google data for the 4 on the Syria map theres a wider 'strip' in the middle of each, but are they traditional runways or just an access road? Do you record that on an airfield diagram or just as a location? I would land the sierra on some perhaps, or maybe the Edge540, but not the hornet. so wondering if its worth documenting or not.

cw1.png

Should include Cyprus, odd decision to leave it out.

Yep, thats true, its a pity. Maybe future update, even payware with small extra fee? Why not.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Adding Cyprus would automatically also add some more sea for carrier ops :music_whistling:

Anyway, without Cyprus I'm still planning on having so incredibly much fun with this map! Really struggling with all the waiting :D

Can I start sweating, pressing F5 and biting my nails yet?

2020_07_30_15_37_56_Cyprus_Google_Maps.thumb.jpg.583a5f04b14f8463a66af279801a0781.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Should include Cyprus, odd decision to leave it out.

Well, at some point they have to draw a line, right? There is hope though. I don't see how they could add Cyprus as payware though ; imagine the nightmare in MP or even for campaign makers between those who have the Syria map with or without Cyprus? We don't really need this kind of community-fragmentation. Either sales of the map are very strong and warrant further investment to make Cyprus, or they don't. As it stands we don't know what kind of border will be in the west AFAIK, it could be just empty water like Caucasus to allow space for battle groups.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Given the limits of this map and available modules, this is a more complete list of the single missions/campaigns I'd like to see:

- Hypothetical U.S.-USSR clash resulting from Israeli invasion of Lebanon (F-14A missions/campaign, remake of "Powder Keg" campaign from Microprose's Fleet Defender;

- Historical missions of late-1983 air strikes following bombing of Marine barracks in Beirut (F-14A);

- 2006 Lebanon War (Israeli F-15/F-16 missions/campaign);

- HUGE Inherent Resolve campaign from all perspectives - carrier-based F/A-18C, land-based Marine F/A-18C, F-15C, F-16C, Russian campaign, etc.;

- Hypothetical Israeli Air Force campaign in future Lebanon war.

Yep, thats true, its a pity. Maybe future update, even payware with small extra fee? Why not.

This would be unnecessary to pay for a part of the map. It is better to raise the price of the map. Part of the paid map would only further separate the community. :thumbup:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Ive seen several comments speculating about the water on the western edge but what I cannot find is a definite answer. Can Ugra jump in?

Completely separate from the Cyprus debate, simply, If we put ourselves on the western edge of the map, how far will we be able fly west past the 'detailed' map area that is captured in the screen-grabs over water?