Helicopter EFM Demo

On 3/30/2021 at 10:30 AM, TheNicePig said:

Anyone have a problem of missing controls? I can't find cyclic/collective controls.

A quick search didn't reveal anything, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has that problem.

Yep, i have the same problem. Actually i have it in all helicopters mods. But for some reason in the AC 130 everything is fineDCS 08.03.2022 22_02_40.png

• 2 weeks later...

there is now an AI aircraft mod featuring the original LOACH Cayuse OH-6 !

The creator feels it might be possible for someone else to combine Nibbylot's Littlebird flight dynamics, maybe cockpit, weapons, with this model to make a flyable version?

(not sure if the cockpit is a separate model from the exterior view... some FS planes the 3d cockpit is a different model from the exterior. Not sure if that's the case these days, but back in FS2004 it certainly was)

Edited by Rick50

• 2 months later...

As a fan of AH-6, I like this MOD eventhough it's an unfinished barebone.

But I have some questions about weapon system...

1. Why selecting both L and R rocket don't launch both pods at the same time ? I have seen many little bird or MD0530 videos launching 2 rockets at the same time.

2. Why it is not possible to arm M134 and GAU-19 at the same time ? I remember watching some pictures arming both (or with M3) at the same time. is it actually being historically accurate or wrong ?

NJfc2i3bandicam 2022-06-09 08-22-14-496.png

bandicam 2022-06-09 08-22-44-071.png

On 6/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, Hijongpark said:

As a fan of AH-6, I like this MOD eventhough it's an unfinished barebone.

This isn't just the question... this is also the true answer to all your post's questions: it IS and was intended to be "unfinished" and "barebone". 

It was not meant to be a hardcore true representative of a specific Littlebird variant.

It was intended to be a guide, a "blueprint" to be able for mod makers to make their own, and modify their own helis for DCS without modifying payware helis.  I don't claim to know why the AH-6 was chosen, it might have been "just because cool and simple" (which is awesome in my book!)

This was meant not to be hyper realistic to specific Littlebird airframes, but as an education tool and a fun mod to enjoy!

But I have some questions about weapon system...

Sure... the original mod maker, Nibbylot, might himself not have known a great deal about the real Littlebird details about it's fire control system... few people usually DO know such things unless they found the original systems manuals, or actually  worked  on or flew these aircraft.

1. Why selecting both L and R rocket don't launch both pods at the same time ? I have seen many little bird or MD0530 videos launching 2 rockets at the same time.

I don't know. But... just because it's done SOMETIMES in videos, doesn't mean it's ALWAYS done that way.  It's quite likely that specific pilots and squadrons have different preferences, especially since smaller birds like this one carry so few actual rockets. And some pilots/squadrons will choose the firepower of double double!!

2. Why it is not possible to arm M134 and GAU-19 at the same time ? I remember watching some pictures arming both (or with M3) at the same time. is it actually being historically accurate or wrong ?

Maybe that's historic, maybe it was just done that way for quickly completing the mod for us to enjoy.

Maybe it never occured to Nibby that those two gatlings would ever be mounted to one airframe AT THE SAME TIME. Because honestly, to me it seems like a very poor choice to put both on at the same time: if you need one of those calibers, you don't need the other on the same flight. Put both on, and you are incurring a very heavy weight penalty by  adding the extra gatlings, which are HEAVY. Then there is the ammo belts: with both carried in flight on a mission, you will inevitably have more of the wrong caliber when you wished you just carried more belts of one size!  

I suspect that photos of Littlebirds carrying the '134 and GAU-19 at the same time, are more for showing off at Defense conventions what kind of capabilities are available to customers, rather than a specific configuration that would actually be used for real operations.  What I mean is, I'd know from previous operations and the upcomming mission profile, as to whether I'd need 7.62 or .50cal, or one rocket pod, or two. I'd know if it was better to carry Hellfires, or maybe APKWS. I'd do mission fuel calculations, and then figure out if I would have to compromise on ammo loadout... just ammo belts can,  in some cases, have a DRASTIC effect on aircraft weight in combat!

Also, remember that there are differences in models: an MD-530 is probably a different product from the Littlebird of SOAR 160. And the Boeing Littlebird of today being marketed, is a much upgraded unit from the Littlebirds of the past decades. Indeed the most modern versions don't even need pilots in them at all, able to be flown like a drone. That and SOAR 160's Littlebirds might have started as MD-500D's and/or OH-6 LOACH (maybe in the earliest days maybe?), but are VERY likely to have received a great many incremental upgrades over the last several decades of service. 

That said, this mod... is a mod. And was presented as a learning opportunity. So, if you are brave and adventurous, make a backup copy folder of the mod, and then start messing with the values in the mod, to see if you can get it to meet your own expectations! No one's stopping you, indeed I bet Nibbylot would approve!

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rick50 said:

That said, this mod... is a mod. And was presented as a learning opportunity. So, if you are brave and adventurous, make a backup copy folder of the mod, and then start messing with the values in the mod, to see if you can get it to meet your own expectations! No one's stopping you, indeed I bet Nibbylot would approve!

I actually used this MOD to make a detailed AH-6J Little Bird MOD in a game called Ravenfield, featuring detailed armament system (arming rockets and GAU-19 on pylons, and being able to fire both sides at once), working RWR, and ARGUS 7000.

I'd like to see completed AH-6 in DCS world too but I don't have modding experience in DCS world and my computer is too weak to play DCS world with stable framerates. 

For that reason I'm trying to turn this arcade game into a poor man's DCS world, using DCS world modules and other flight sims as references.

20220611174559_1.jpg

20220611174844_1.jpg20220611174746_1.jpg20220611174704_1.jpg

Edited by Hijongpark
  • Like 2

Ah, cool !!  Well done for making a mod for another game! 

Well, I  don't have DCS modding experience either, I did do a modest amount in FS2004, but nothing of deep significance. Basically I improved the way some freeware planes flew, closer to what I thought the real planes were capable of, when their start point was well away  from the probable performance. I'd also look to see if there were features not included that I could add in myself. Basically learned by trial and error, along with examining and comparing the raw data sheets, what they called aircraft.cfg files, and tried to notice where some lines of code were excessively simple, or very detailed, or missing, or were default code lines from another aircraft that had little in common with the type being represented in this file folder (meaning, why does so much code feature EXACTLY the same as a B-747-400 GE, when the plane represented is a C-130 Hercules? Stuff like that.

Nice screens and pics btw!

• Like 1

Hey just wondering, has anyone put together an old fashioned Magnum P. I. Island Hoppers skin for this chopper? Looking to get my Tom Selleck on! 😎

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

5 hours ago, rato65 said:

@Rick50 @FupDuck see here, page 9 of this topic

Dude! You're my hero!!! 

I can hear the theme music now! 😎👍

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 5:39 PM, Chap2012 said:

I don't think this needs to be pinned anymore. This has been dead for a long time. I've even heard that it messes with quite a few other mods as well 

if you ready carefully this is not intended to be a MOD, just Chopper EFM Template gift to the community, need no just to be pinned but to be reworded too.

Big thanks to the author.

• Like 1

MOD Logo - 100.png

On 1/30/2023 at 5:39 PM, Chap2012 said:

I don't think this needs to be pinned anymore. This has been dead for a long time. I've even heard that it messes with quite a few other mods as well 

It doesn't mess with any of my mods, of which I have a quite long list. 
image.pngnullnull

image.png

image.png

Edited by SPAS79

• 2 weeks later...
  • NineLine unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

I am willing to bet with a few lua edits, all these issue could be resolved.

The edm is still good.

It is all in the code!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

On 11/24/2023 at 3:38 AM, Hawkeye60 said:

I am willing to bet with a few lua edits, all these issue could be resolved.

The edm is still good.

It is all in the code!

As far as a I could tell, the Vmax speed is correct in the lua file, but in game it defaults to 42.  Maybe it’s a Hitchikers’ Guide joke…LOL

Look for this section in the main lua.

engine_data =
    {  -- most of these are unknown right now, but they are only for AI
            power_take_off    =    473,
            power_max    =    473,
            power_WEP    =    473,
            power_TH_k =
            {
                [1] =     {0,    -230.8,    2245.6},
                [2] =     {0,    -230.8,    2245.6},
                [3] =     {0,    -325.4,    2628.9},
                [4] =     {0,    -235.6,    1931.9},
            },
            SFC_k =     {2.045e-007,    -0.0006328,    0.803},
            power_RPM_k =     {-0.08639,    0.24277,    0.84175},
            power_RPM_min    =    9.1384,
            sound_name    = "EngineTV3117", -- engine sound from Sounds/sdef
    },

Increase the power_take off to a higher number.

Do the same for the next two lines.

The lines beginning with SFC

to the end will also have a affect,

but I have no idea what they mean, or will do if changed

Leave them be for now.

Try 700.00 or so for the new number.

Try.

Change as needed.

I am told this only has a effect upon ai.

But I find this is NOT true.

One other point to consider.

Weight matters!

If you over load the air frame, it will not handle correctly.

Either remove weapons and/or fuel,

Or increase the limit in the main lua, along with the added power.

You could make it fly like a Apache!🤣

Small edits are recommended.

test,

Re edit.

Rinse, repeat!😎

Edited by Hawkeye60
  • Like 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."