High Altitude Afterburner Fuel Flow - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Mustang25

Default High Altitude Afterburner Fuel Flow

I flew a mission last night where I was in full AB for approximately 12 minutes with my altitude starting at about 30k ft and went up to 49,800 ft. During this time I only burned about 1200-1300lbs of fuel.

This seems suuuuuper low to me unless I have a misunderstanding of fuel flow at higher altitudes?
Mustang25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
Terrorban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang25 View Post
I flew a mission last night where I was in full AB for approximately 12 minutes with my altitude starting at about 30k ft and went up to 49,800 ft. During this time I only burned about 1200-1300lbs of fuel.

This seems suuuuuper low to me unless I have a misunderstanding of fuel flow at higher altitudes?
I do not think flying at that altitude, loaded up is even realistic for this jet so not sure why and how you did it. Considering we get similar result with F-14, it seems possible. You can even take empty harrier that high and get similarish result and the community told me that it is totally possible for it.

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - UNTOUCHED - ABANDONED
Terrorban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
Mustang25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorban View Post
I do not think flying at that altitude, loaded up is even realistic for this jet so not sure why and how you did it.
I did it because the sim let me, lol. That's why I'm asking the question because I didn't think it was possible so I wanted to see if this is some error in FM/engine performance. Also, just for reference, I was loaded with 4xSD-10 and a centerline tank which I jettisoned at 30k ft so I started with a full internal fuel load during those 12 minutes.

Quote:
Considering we get similar result with F-14, it seems possible. You can even take empty harrier that high and get similarish result and the community told me that it is totally possible for it.
That's interesting. I never would have expected fuel consumption to be that low with AB on.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
AeriaGloria

FF is being adjusted next patch just FYI
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #5
Mustang25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
FF is being adjusted next patch just FYI
I saw that in their patch notes. It only states "adjust fuel flow for MIL" though and no mention of AB.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:02 AM   #6
LJQCN101
3rd Party Developer

Depends on speed, you'll get 1~4 lbs/sec fuel flow at those altitudes with Max AB, if you stay subsonic.