Why I love the F-86 in DCS - You Might Too - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
flameoutme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbosmeggins View Post
Well, I am working my way through the training missions and really enjoying this module. In fact, I think it is my new favourite plane now. I’ve been flying the F-5 a lot lately, and really enjoyed the flight model, but the Sabre seems to have so much more personality about it. And, should you push it hard, it really comes alive, and is an incredible handful.

I totally suck at old-school navigation, so need to spend some time drumming that into my inept brain. But wow! And it’s superb in VR. I’ve watched one or two reviews where the graphics have been slated a bit, but it fits my needs perfectly. I’m hoping to buy one of Andre’s Jet-Seat gizmos in the next week or so, and cannot think of a better reason than the Sabre.
Yeah it is great isn't it! And I think graphically it is better than fine.

I was hoping at some point to get one of those seats. As of right now, I am using a Buttkicker 2. Definately immersion adding.

have fun!
flameoutme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
bilbosmeggins

Do you drive it with the SimShaker software?
bilbosmeggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
Squiffy

Dont't worry, the Sabre is still a good ship. When it come s to dogfighting, you may notice the points above. You will see shotgun like dispersion after a few bursts and not much effective range. After some time to get familiar, the next level will make these points more noticeable.

The MiG has crazy strong climb at or near stall and the massive cannon will make the inaccurate machine gun dynamics more apparent. Roll rates are pretty accurate but player control at low speed in the Sabre will be more difficult than AI in the MiG. My worn out Cougar makes this all the worse but you will do a lot of control correction and "opposite lock." My gimbals have an issue at stick back near max where it's not balanced left and right, probably from the weight of the stick and hand creating a bias to the left in wear. I get some roll out at 90' bank which interferes with scissoring and circles. Also the sensors are spiky so I lose full back at end of travel. You have to wiggle the stick or tap it back a few times to clean the contacts and keep the elevator full aft. Most of these issues probably don't occur with new equipment.

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.
Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #14
flameoutme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbosmeggins View Post
Do you drive it with the SimShaker software?
No, although I would not mind having it. The buttkicker does have some frequency controls so you can sandwich the range of sound you want translated into vibrations. For the '86, it works beautifully to emulate engine, stalls, gun shots, taxi, takeoff and landing out of teh box.
flameoutme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #15
avenger82

Anyone finished Museum Relic F-86 campaign? I'm stuck with a mission 8.6 Scouting Trouble.
Soon after command to RTB there's missile warning, I try to turn/evade but always get hit by it and my engine shuts down. I tried it like 4 times. It seems there's nothing I can do, because missile hitting is scripted. It's quite frustrating. Should I try to restart the engine using some trick?

EDIT: There's seems to be a workaround:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198210&page=4

Last edited by avenger82; 07-03-2020 at 09:21 PM.
avenger82 is offline   Reply With Quote